**Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Announcing **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Back in the day that screensaver was what you saw when running seti but in much more detail and colors non floating. It was mesmerizing to look at. When they went to Bionic it changed to this. I understand the reasons why but it kind of ruined it for me.
I agree that the older screensaver display was nice to look at, also that the new 3-D 'rotating' one is a bit annoying.

It does look like there might be a few different screensaver options in the new software however.
At the SETI@home website / Your Account / Preferences / SETI@home preferences / Edit preferences, there looks to be four different graphics preferences available; I'm wondering if any of these can provide a non-rotating display view? :thinking:

Last edited:

whill44

Enlightened

I agree that the older screensaver display was nice to look at, also that the new 3-D 'rotating' one is a bit annoying.

It does look like there might be a few different screensaver options in the new software however.
At the SETI@home website / Your Account / Preferences / SETI@home preferences / Edit preferences, there looks to be four different graphics preferences available; I'm wondering if any of these can provide a non-rotating display view? :thinking:

I did some testing and once you get to the graphics preferences you can zero out the vert. and horz. and it will sit still. But it doesn't look any better.

whill44

Enlightened

Ha. I brought my new imac and a old laptop on line for a while and managed to just get past DrafterDan (i think that's his name) to claim third :wave: and was seriously eyeballing badtziscool number two spot :poke: when I noticed Millguy entered the fray and is packing heat. :thumbsup: I believe my days at third will be counted in the single digits. Of course it's all good there's no i in team. :D

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good lord Millguy is packing some heat. I think the only reason why I'm in 2nd is because I always leave my work comp on so it has a chance to do some good calculations during the night. Would it be considered an abuse of work equipment if I were to push out SETI to all of the computers at my work, including servers?

millguy

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome! I had been out of SETI for a while, but when I saw CPF had a team, it peaked my interest again. Nice to be here! :wave:

whill44

Enlightened

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome! I had been out of SETI for a while, but when I saw CPF had a team, it peaked my interest again. Nice to be here! :wave:

I have this visual of you opening a door in the basement leading to a small secret room, flipping switches engaging the power supply, string routed around the wall of possible gray men sighting. Then finally activating the servers one by one as a ac unit whirls in the corner. The search is back ON! :rock:

millguy

Newly Enlightened

I have this visual of you opening a door in the basement leading to a small secret room, flipping switches engaging the power supply, string routed around the wall of possible gray men sighting. Then finally activating the servers one by one as a ac unit whirls in the corner. The search is back ON! :rock:

That made me laugh out loud.:D

sgt253

Enlightened

Good lord Millguy is packing some heat. I think the only reason why I'm in 2nd is because I always leave my work comp on so it has a chance to do some good calculations during the night. Would it be considered an abuse of work equipment if I were to push out SETI to all of the computers at my work, including servers?

Unless you are the Boss, it probably kill your paychecks, LOL!

whill44

Enlightened

Man, I never even saw Millguy go by until the doors lifted off of badtziscool ride. Look out Kestrel prepare to defend youself. :popcorn:

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless you are the Boss, it probably kill your paychecks, LOL!

Maybe I can convince them that instead of having all of these PCs sitting idle at night, we can use them to find alien civilizations.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Man, I never even saw Millguy go by until the doors lifted off of badtziscool ride. Look out Kestrel prepare to defend youself. :popcorn:
Lol, something good to be beaten at, I wouldn't complain. :)

FYI from what I understand, the 'recent average credit' category is essentially an average daily output, _after_ a month or so - with some sort of logarithmic decay to give less weight to older workunits.

Maybe I can convince them that instead of having all of these PCs sitting idle at night, we can use them to find alien civilizations.
I think that is called the 'marketing department', lol.

Last edited:

whill44

Enlightened

All I can say is that I'm five years with this company and second only to the general manager, also 6'6" and about 300lbs and still got the stink eye when i asked about my work station. So I'm pretty sure that this is the full extent of the company's contribution.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Btw, congrats to badtzicool & millguy for their 'bronze' badges (top 25% individual productivity), plus now the CPF team has that badge as well.

I have no hope for an individual 'silver' as I can see my average credit leveling off, but hoping that CPF can get to top-5% perhaps. :)

Edit: also just wanted to celebrate what will be my last hour or so re: having the #1 spot for 'avg credit'; millguy will have it tomorrow for sure. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

whill44

Enlightened

Btw, congrats to badtzicool & millguy for their 'bronze' badges (top 25% individual productivity), plus now the CPF team has that badge as well.

I have no hope for an individual 'silver' as I can see my average credit leveling off, but hoping that CPF can get to top-5% perhaps. :)

Edit: also just wanted to celebrate what will be my last hour or so re: having the #1 spot for 'avg credit'; millguy will have it tomorrow for sure. :thumbsup:

After reading my past posts I feel that I might have left the impression of a individual competition within the group. If anyone felt that my poking fun was inappropriate I apologize because that wasn't my intention. I too want the Team to attain the top 5%. So every work unit counts. Being limited by the equipment at my disposal, I'm grateful for the heavy hitters among us pushing the team forward. Whether or not a signal is found will be a celebration for another day, in the mean time a little friendly team competition should keep it interesting.

millguy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Kestrel.:) And thank you for starting this team. Wish I had seen it sooner.
Congrats to you for holding that spot! Definitely didn't come here to compete within the team. Just throwing what I have available at it for Team CPF! lovecpf

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Nothing to worry about; good-natured individual competition makes it even more fun. :wave:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Kestrel.:) And thank you for starting this team. Wish I had seen it sooner.
Congrats to you for holding that spot! Definitely didn't come here to compete within the team. Just throwing what I have available at it for Team CPF! lovecpf

I think that's part of the fun. Friendly competition never did anyone no harm.

whill44

Enlightened

I've managed to commandeer a little used system for a short time thinking I might get a little extra work done. Turns out this thing rocks. I know I have it for the weekend after that we'll see.