Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I bike a lot at night. I have flashing lights on my bike, white front, red rear so I can be seen, but I also like to have a good headlamp on my helmet to see where I'm going so I use a JETBeam HR25 or Zebralight H602w. Both use rechargeable 18650 batteries, which are nice for the convenience and cost. Also as a technician, I use a SureFire Minimus for work. Also use it for geocaching. I'm looking to replace it with a light that takes a 18650, with high CRI neutral tint. Nothing too crazy bright, preferably that remembers my preferred setting. Any recommendations?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I bike a lot at night. I have flashing lights on my bike, white front, red rear so I can be seen, but I also like to have a good headlamp on my helmet to see where I'm going so I use a JETBeam HR25 or Zebralight H602w. Both use rechargeable 18650 batteries, which are nice for the convenience and cost. Also as a technician, I use a SureFire Minimus for work. Also use it for geocaching. I'm looking to replace it with a light that takes a 18650, with high CRI neutral tint. Nothing too crazy bright, preferably that remembers my preferred setting. Any recommendations?

You are smart to have several lights for night riding, you need to be seen.

In line recently at the Mega Lo Mart, there were two elderly ladies talking. The first one said "I can't really hear any more," then the other lady said, "I can't see anymore." Then the First Lady said to the second one, "that is too bad, but we can still drive!"

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my ZL H51fw to put on my grill cover before the rain after my bb-q.

Wrestling with that big canvas cover was much easier without my edc (v11r) between my teeth.

I noticed that I have not been using my headlamp as much lately, I figure it is because I switched my edc to a smaller light from the ZL SC600w.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clipped my Petzl Pixa3 to my harness when i climbed a tree the other day, glad i had it, as it was dark when i was coming back down (had to climb again to free a stuck rope, the headlamp made it easy)

TOWFLYER

Newly Enlightened
I use my headlamp for many things but I do a lot of night fishing and that's where it gets the most use.

I have two petzl lamps .........my old petzl tactical with the flip down red filter is my go to workhorse.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used H602w + SC600w II to walk on the beach.
Many people astounded by the light :)

goatiemon

Newly Enlightened
good day

l live off the grid
travel a great deal
enjoy the wolderness/adventure sports

so l use a headlamp for everything all the time

have asmall on in my pocket all ay every day
use it for all sorts of building and electrical work
crawl spaces, backstage theater suff etc

also for cooking, reading, general camp life when on the road
( prefer to have my pocket model equiped with dim settings and a red led/lense for nitevision protection)

l also use ( a brighter bigger more powerful) HL for mtn biking, sking, climbing/mountaineering, caving....
l have two
one which is relatively compact/adjustable
so l tour with it ( light in motion solite 250ex) ( the pwm low settigns can be annoying, dosnt bother me when reading but when working with spinning things (like bicycle wheels) the strobe effect can be dangerous/frustrating)( though delighting a 8 year old nepali girl deep in the hymilayas by waving her hands in front of it made that flaw into a feature....)

and a big bright but relatively short duration
for serious mtn biking, sking etc ( fast and dangerous)
( light in motion stella 2000enduro)

( l have a friend who workd for light in motion which is why l have those particular lights -- but l like them...)

thinking about getting one of those new HL's
which auto adjust intensity....
sounds handy, not sure if the shorter run time is worth it

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Tonight, as many nights, I fed, and watered all the feral cats here in the desert who need water when it gets up to 120F like today.

Cats need water when it gets this hot. And they are waiting for me every night I'm home.
They are on our property, so I call them our garden cats! They do ok as long as ther have some food and water, mostly water!

Last edited:

Boko

Newly Enlightened
I used my Silva Siju for reading ancient Chinese poetry during my break on a night shift in A&E. The author, "Cold Mountain" says the moon is his only light, but he certainly seems happy. Could be a lesson there.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now carry the Armytek Wizard Pro Warm with me in my backpack when I go on night bike rides. I didn't have a bike until recently, and I imagine changing an inner tube in the dark with only one hand (other hand on a light) would be pretty annoying. So the headlamp will make things go much more smoothly.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I got on a beautiful mountain along with my Zebralight Headlamp

(This is a photo of the place taken a long time ago)

71md.jpg

I've been there many times but have never climbed on top overnight,

I went alone and I brought with me
Zebralight H602w
Zebralight H600w
Nitecore P12 Neutral withe (first use in a real hike)
Zebralight SC600w (not used)
Fenix PD35 (used only for a few seconds to make comparison with the P12 beam)
Fenix TK35 mod NW (used briefly when I arrived at the top, it was useless in the thick wood)
A good supply of 18650 batteries (not used)
The H602w has been the protagonist of the evening,

Without it would be a very difficult hike because there is not an easy path but many stones and rocks.
H602w indispensable!
For a short time I turned off the H602w to see how it would be without her.
Only with H600w or just with the P12 everything would be very complicated..
I almost always used the two Headlamp in pairs (H602w on the head - H600w around his neck)
During the most difficult points I have also turned on the Nitecore P12
Levels used:
H602w - 65 and 330 lumens (330 the most used)
H600w - 65 and 330/150 (I reprogrammed the headlamp during hike)
P12w - 210/950 (sometimes I also used the turbo for brief moments)
(used the turbo on all three torches for about a minute or two when some wild boars have passed near me)
The duration of the hike was almost four hours but it was a beautiful experience (I had to return quickly for incoming rain)
I have not used the extra batteries, returned home I checked:
H602w (AmpMax 3100 mA) 3,79 V
H600w (AmpMax 3100 mA) 3,95 v
P12 (KeepPower 2900 mA) 3,70 (approximately)
It would be nice if Zebralight sells an elastic band to use two headlamp in pairs :)

(Terrible translation with Google Translate)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds like a great hike Stefano! And the translation looks good. I'm always impressed with Google translate.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a ton of fun! I can't wait to go on another night hike or camping trip.

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
Needed freed hands had light in car: Carried my sleeping 3 year old daughter into the house late at night with her wearing a slightly wet bathing suit. I put her on our bed where my wife was already asleep in the pitch dark. I then used the headlamp on lowest setting (Fenix HL55) while I completely changed her into sleepwear. I was able at all times to direct even the spill away from her eyes. My half asleep wife must have been impressed, especially not knowing I had purchased a headlamp. Oops forgot to tell her.

This would not have been possible without a headlamp. I would have had to throw on some sort of ambient light without being able to actually see what I was doing as well.

It's somewhat silly but I've used while grilling and routinely use to take the trash out/sort recycling at the curb.

Last edited:

Mike66

Newly Enlightened
CAMPING! There is simply nothing better than a good headlamp for camping, especially if you have to set up or cook after night falls. You may feel dorky, but having both hands free means you can do stuff and having the light move with your head means you have light where you are looking which tends to reduce after-dark trip-and-fall incidents. You do have to quickly learn "headlamp etiquette" (how to aim it and also to NEVER turn your head straight at your friends) otherwise the people on the receiving end of the light will TEACH it to you <grin>
I have to Agree with you, I use mine mainly for camping too

ycwflash10

Newly Enlightened
use do not as often as my flashlight but u could always find some interesting things with headlamps. fishing, camping, hiking, even biking... do whatever you need with you hands-free and detachable one will be welcomed.