>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

pilou said:
Of course, for the cost of the LED upgrade and the IQ switch, you can buy a brand new very decent LED light, such as an Inova Bolt, T1, Dorcy, etc., that has been designed from the grounds up to be an LED light.

True (at least partially, see below, excuses in advance for my ignorance of the Inova product line), but:

1/ I already have a couple of MiniMags gathering dust.

2/ As it will be used in Africa I can keep an incan in the base and leave the body behind as a gift.

3/ I like playing flashlight Lego!

4/ The Inova T1 is a CR123 and (I'd guess) has nowhere near the output of the Terralux....

5/ The Bolt doesn't seem to have multi level output. Don't know about the Dorcy either?

6/ Did I say I like playing flashlight Lego?

Like I said, I needed to justify buying one...... :)

turbalejo

Newly Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

MattK,

I am all set to buy one for my 3d mag. Is there a cpf member discount? $8 shipping :awman: seems a bit extreme for one TLE-6E.

Never mind :whistle: ....I found it with free shipping on led-flashlights.com.

I am looking forward to aa mag replacement TLE-5EX.

Cheers.

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened

I just ordered one for my 2C turned 2x18500. I'm stoked. I can't wait to get it. :)

SQ40

Newly Enlightened

turbalejo said:
MattK,

I am all set to buy one for my 3d mag. Is there a cpf member discount? $8 shipping :awman: seems a bit extreme for one TLE-6E.

As usual coupon code: 'cpf2006' will save you 5% - USPS First Class shipping option for domestic orders will be <$4.

Here it is.

pilou

Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

Dave Huck said:
3/ I like playing flashlight Lego!

And that is also why I am considering trying at least one, despite my "better" judgement :lolsign:

If you want a AA with multi-level capability, Fenix is one brand to consider.

clipse

Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

SQ40 said:
Here it is.

dangit, now you tell me. :D

turbalejo

Newly Enlightened

sq40,
thank you!. I did not know that. Cheers.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does any one know if theres reverse polarity protection on the MiniStar? Its going to make a difference as to whether I buy 2 or 3. (Well that and if customs want to slap duty on it)

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

These play really nice with a pair of AW's new Li Ion C cells.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some current measurements (at the batteries):

3 cells: 230ma (not much brighter than the Magled 3 cell module but that draws 600ma)
4 cells: 570ma (compared to 750ma for the much-dimmer Magled 4 cell module)
5 cells: 510ma
6 cells (or 2 Li Ions): 430ma

ruralott

Newly Enlightened

MattK said:
The IQ switch will work on the new unit but it will reduce output. I'd guess perhaps a 15% reduction.

There's no other multistage switch for the MiniMag's that I know of.

Out TLE-5EX's are supposed to ship today/tomorrow - I'm waiting on a callback to confirm and an order link will go live today/tomorrow.
Any update, or did I miss the announcement? Thanks.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened

sootyboy said:
I have a 3D Mag and rather than use 3 D cells or 4 C cells I am wondering if 2 x 3AA - 1D adaptors with a D cell (10.5V?) or with a dummy D cell (9V?) would be the way to go?
Or is my understanding lacking?:help:

I orderd 3 AA to D adaptors and will try that whenit arrives. I hope it is brighter then my current 3D to 4C mod that I did.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using a pair of the AW C cells in a 2D mag.
Just had to stretch the spring a tiny bit, since the AW C's are a little long for C's,
almost the right length for D's.
Got a piece of thin wall PVC so the C's don't rattle around in there too much.

BMRSEB

Enlightened

bullpup said:
I orderd 3 AA to D adaptors and will try that whenit arrives. I hope it is brighter then my current 3D to 4C mod that I did.
That's what I have, 2 of the 3AA to 1D adaptors and the light's plenty bright! I also used Energizer E2 Lithium batts.

Wonder how 3 14500's and 1 dummy D would work in a 2D Mag!! :poof: maybe? haha..

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened

I'm running mine with 3 cr123a in a 2c mag for now and it's awsome. Considerably brighter than my p1d-ce.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone have some beamshots between a terralux ministar and it's corresponding MagLED upgrade? How much brighter is this dropin? I did a search, but I never get anything usefull when I use the searchfunction. :ohgeez:
Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, brainfart, I knew I had seen some beamshots before.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll likely make a seperate post about this but for those who've been asking the TLE-5EX's for the AA MiniMag's shipped today; I have 1/3 of the order coming in on Wednesday and the remainder next Friday. The order link went active 1-2 days ago:

CLICK to order

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

MattK said:
I'll likely make a seperate post about this but for those who've been asking the TLE-5EX's for the AA MiniMag's shipped today; I have 1/3 of the order coming in on Wednesday and the remainder next Friday. The order link went active 1-2 days ago:

CLICK to order

are they using the tle5 or 5k2 module

SQ40

Newly Enlightened

Just got mine in.. AWESOME to say the least!! a HUGE improvement over the Stock 4D Krypton..

Status
Not open for further replies.