The 5mm Challenge

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm game, if I qualify. I'll pack my Peak Eiger #2 flood with an eneloop. Around 10 lumens.

Eiger.20254.jpg

If you don't have anything dimmer, then I suppose that will have to do. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Interesting challenge. If I only had placed and received my order for a second E01 (and what a coincidence nbp! I'm going for gold on this one!), I would have better chances. Can we at least play with our other lights when we don't really need a flashlight and only use the 5mm for actual business? I might be too weak for this one.... And to say that my first 5 lumen flashlight beat the crap out of everything I had previously owned...
Hmm, tough answer on this one. I just received a Princeton Tec Quad in the mail (after reading some recommendations for one) and it's killing me to not be walking around with it right now...

carrot

Flashaholic
One day down. I didn't have to do much lighting today, so these little guys did just fine. There is a level of understated grace and simplicity in these types of lights that is kind of refreshing actually. I am looking forward to keeping this going the next few days, should be interesting.

Absolutely. Yesterday when I came up with this challenge I was just thinking about the elegant simplicity of a small, single level, lower output twisty, and I needed a good way to force myself to really use it. Peer pressure works quite well, thanks.

faco

Enlightened
I can't be involved in this challenge, the result will be a big fail for me. Great idea, will be a good thread to read in the next few days

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well, I found a camo Arc-AAA and replaced my Draco with it for my neck carry light, and that's what I used all day. A little frustrating, since I would have normally been using my Clicky or V10R and changing levels.

No big deal though, as I'm now learning to walk in the steps of my forebears, or now that I think of it, learning to use a light the way I used to before multi-level lights spoiled me. Now I'm getting spoiled again by the lightweight, floody Arc-AAA.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
<-doesnt fear the 5mm.
my most used light is a peak matterhorn that lives on my keychain. at times i also carry a peak mckinley(wicked bright for 5mm's) and a plastic solar carabiner light that i put two radio shack high brightness 5mm's in.

carrot

Flashaholic
The only 5mm light I can find is my covert nose red LED photon freedom micro...and there's no way I'm going to try using that as my only light for any amount of time.

My wife probably has them spread amongst her purses and bags... :sigh:

--flatline

Probably a good excuse to buy a new 5mm light then? :) Lots of good choices to choose from!

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah they have to use their lights on the 350 lm setting exclusively for a week.

They'll find out pretty quick how useful a 5mm is. :nana:

ooo I think I know what that will be - looking forward to that as well. :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem for me, I do it most of the time anyway with my E01, except when I have to use a brighter light to take my lab out so she doesn't give viciously attacted by the neighborhood kitties.

Here's a second challenge to go with this one, the whole time you use the 5mm, you can't complain about the tint.:nana:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would do it, but fun-tac just doesn't stick to the little lights as well.

Well, grabbed the worst tint little guy I have. An Inova X1. The tint is so purple you would think it's a UV light. Maybe I'll just have to try this with the Arc or a Photon Freedom.

I think the next challenge should be a cheap plastic 2D incan with the batteries leaking. That would allow us to have some empathy for the rest of the unenlightened folks out there.

carrot

Flashaholic
Is there a list somewhere? I'm aware a very few non-coin-cell 5mm lights.

-dost

Check my first post where I listed a bunch of lights that run on AAA. Arc, Peak, Gerber, Fenix E0/E01, Leatherman Serac S1, McGizmo Sapphire (actually a 3mm) and the older generations of Inova X1.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
not a problem. in fact, out here in the wilderness anything more than a 5mm is too bright for general tasks. i most often use a Mako for roaming around at night (it's the light i keep next to the bed).

last night i was checking out a noise i thought i heard down next to the barn. my Mako showed the it to be one of our ponies looking for some hay. next morning i "ranged" the barn with a laser rangefinder. it's 42 yards away. not bad for such an "underpowered" light, and that was on low beam!

while the Mako does have fugly ringy beam (as my photo shows), at least the beam is a reasonably neutral white, unlike the purple tinted E01.

Mako-AAA-Titanium.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the next challenge should be a cheap plastic 2D incan with the batteries leaking. That would allow us to have some empathy for the rest of the unenlightened folks out there.

Don't worry, after the fantastic response this one has had I've been thinking up more devious challenges. For some people, it may even be a good excuse to purchase some lights!!!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in. I'll officially start my 1 week at the time of this post. I decided to go with my Arc GS for maximum 5mm lumens. :)

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry, after the fantastic response this one has had I've been thinking up more devious challenges. For some people, it may even be a good excuse to purchase some lights!!!

I just added two E01s to my neutral Neutron 1C order. I decided my two girls are getting E01s. Since I've never had one, I thought this would be a good light to get them and it will help me decide if I need one for myself.

On the challenge, I used mine this morning for making coffee, getting dressed for a bicycle ride (40 F), checking tire pressure, no lack of lighting at all.
Once under way I clicked on the light and it was pretty much useless at any kind of speed. In a serious situation I could get by at a better than brisk walk, on pavement that is. Doable, but not recommended.

JMP

Enlightened
Ive done this w/ am LF2XT and its been more than enough for my needs.

Marmaduke

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Gerber IU for months around the house as my general go to light. I have a leather cord looped through the tail to make it easy to hang on a nail, the clip makes it easy to use hands free on the brim of a baseball hat, and I use its tailcap momentary-on feature alot. With a good alkaline AA it is plenty of light for most every task, including rummaging around in the tool shed at night. The extremely long runtime also makes it economical to use and it is a good battery vampire with depleted batteries when tailstanding as a night light.