The great 3D TV race, how soon will you get yours?.

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
I have a hard enough time trying to find the remote controls! I don't want to have to find the glasses too.

Although, I think my donkey might have them on.....lemme check the garage.....Brb.

DM51

Flashaholic
I only just got a flat-screen one last year. Now you're telling me I have to get rid of it and buy a great big clunker again??

Wow, what an enthusiastic crowd.
Bet you guy`s had a fit when the automobile replaced your donkeys.
WTH, they came up with a donkey replacement?
I have a hard enough time trying to find the remote controls! I don't want to have to find the glasses too.

Although, I think my donkey might have them on.....lemme check the garage.....
LOL!

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take on the donkey metaphor, is that 3D tv isn't a car versus the old donkey. It's a nicer, more attractive, saddle blanket for the donkey.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
two problems I see with 3D tv, first is the need to buy new players capable of playing 3D discs which use twice the amount of data because there are two streams of the movie instead of one. Second is 3D tv will cost 50% more at the start and probably require a faster tv than entry level (240hz vs 120hz). I would say wait till there are both players and tv sets within 20% of the price of 2D tv sets before locking in. Make sure the set works well for 2D because of the double data rate required for 3D there probably won't be any tv stations broadcasting movies in 3D there isn't enough OTA bandwidth for HD and the cable/satellite companies don't have the overhead. The internet probably won't stream it due to twice the cost and a special player to combine streams properly on a 3D computer monitor would be needed and I would almost bet the first ones out you will have to pay a good price for.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
two problems I see with 3D tv, first is the need to buy new players capable of playing 3D discs which use twice the amount of data because there are two streams of the movie instead of one. Second is 3D tv will cost 50% more at the start and probably require a faster tv than entry level (240hz vs 120hz). I would say wait till there are both players and tv sets within 20% of the price of 2D tv sets before locking in. Make sure the set works well for 2D because of the double data rate required for 3D there probably won't be any tv stations broadcasting movies in 3D there isn't enough OTA bandwidth for HD and the cable/satellite companies don't have the overhead. The internet probably won't stream it due to twice the cost and a special player to combine streams properly on a 3D computer monitor would be needed and I would almost bet the first ones out you will have to pay a good price for.

Excellent analysis, Lynx Arc. You're spot on with your observations. At least one of the systems, mayb emore of them, will require double the bandwidth as the system is painting the left eye and right eye images separately, both of them at 1080p, so it's effectively like watching two HD streams at once. This will even require better HDMI cabling that meets the latest HDMI 1.4 standards.

It's going to take some time for the market to develop and settle on a standard.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although, I think my donkey might have them on.....lemme check the garage.....Brb.

Wow, your donkey is one smart ***. :D

LOL...good one ;)

jginnane

Newly Enlightened
...It's going to take some time for the market to develop and settle on a standard.

Hmm ... Beg to differ.

We got a Samsung 46-inch "Series 8" a year ago with 120 kHz imaging. This past year the top TV models ran at 240 kHz. We were ready to buy one after Christmas, but as luck would have it, CES/Vegas happened and Samsung announced their newest models... now with 3D circuitry.

You can watch daily prices fluctuate through dealnews.com, pricegrabbers, and several other retail price-aggregator sites. Often Amazon will have a great deal, but the price might last less than two days. Abes of Maine shows up periodically, as does 6th Ave Electronics and Frys. The key is to research the exact model and features you want, then wait for someone to hit a low price.

Samsung is generally best, followed by Sony. Most other TV makers have a 12-month lag on the technology... so a discontinued model from Samsung or Sony should be compared with new second-tier models.

Is 3D worth it? Well, it's not red and blue lenses, but rechargeable glasses evidently using polarized light. Disney is into it in a big way, and so will the game companies. So the answer is closely correlated with the number of household members you have under 10. Also there has been some discussion of re-encoding older movies, like "Jaws", but don't hold your breath on that. You'd probably wind up having to pay for a new Blu-ray disc.

However any broadcast that's NOT in 3D will function normally on the latest sets, meaning that Larry King will not project himself into your bedroom. :p

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Excellent analysis, Lynx Arc. You're spot on with your observations. At least one of the systems, mayb emore of them, will require double the bandwidth as the system is painting the left eye and right eye images separately, both of them at 1080p, so it's effectively like watching two HD streams at once. This will even require better HDMI cabling that meets the latest HDMI 1.4 standards.

It's going to take some time for the market to develop and settle on a standard.

3D tv standards don't appear to be that big of an issue, but the extra cost isn't worth it at this time and people don't realize that until 3D blueray or whatever movie format sold is commonplace you are looking at getting scalped for the players, movies, glasses, and tv sets till they are commonplace. Look to pay up to 75% more for a 3D movie, 300% more for a blueray player and up to 50% more for a 3D capable tv set. I suspect they will push the scan rate of tv sets to double it again to ~480 so the 3D stuff strobing will be less headachy. You will have to buy HDMI cables that are able to handle higher data rates for 3D for sure.

daimleramg

Banned
The thing is, nobody is going to use a 50" monitor for games, so that leaves out selling a monitor which can eventually double as a 3D TV.

Are you sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVXoN1KtqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1aEnK2q1g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqok_2RkrB4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDEj1dkcaM

There are lots more if you look through youtube.

I have a 60" Samsung LED that I use for gaming... mostly need for speed shift.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I looked at one of the 3D sets in a store the other day and I have to admit that the experience was a little better than I expected it to be. They were showing that 3D cartoon that they bundle with the package, so it might not have been representative of all situations, but there was no flicker and I didn't experience any eye fatugue for the few minutes that I watched it. I wouldn't drop $3500 for the system but the results are encouraging.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Remember that "clear" trend from the early 90's when everyone was marketing clear products? Clear soda, clear mouthwash, clear gasoline..

Well guess what..

3d1m.jpg

3d2c.png

3d3z.jpg

I can't wait to show off my 3D armpits..

cheapbastard

Newly Enlightened
I would like to get a 3dtv when they have improved the technology a bit more, perhaps in 5 years time. Instead of shutterglasses I would prefer one using polarized glasses (already available for computer monitors - the iZ3D or Zalman 3D LCD monitors).

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most shows on tv these days aren't even worth watching in 2D, Let alone in 3D.

+1
I'm not one of those early adopter types and for as much TV viewing we do, the motivation isn't there. Was reading an article about Audio DVD and SACD and other high def audio. These pretty much tanked. It remains to be seen how well 3D will be accepted by the masses and what content the studios and mainstream networks choose to implement.

Now if this is for prime time slop like we have today with reality shows and content aimed at high school and college kids...no thanks. Do we really need or want to see Dancing with the Stars or Biggest Loser in 3D...no.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
As I recall, I think I watched some TV in 1976, but I'm damned if I can remember whether it was in colour or black 'n' white.

So my answer is emphatically NO to 3D TV. It'll no doubt be a passing fad like "quadrophonic" home stereos and eight-track car audio systems.

— Jack.