• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Kuukuu Mokume Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: Sorta looks like a Killer

Uhhhh..... :drool: How did I miss this? :thinking: :twothumbs Fred, awesome, awesome, awesome! :eek:oo:

What's the OD of the Mokume Gane sample you were messin' around with above?

:thumbsup: john

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi John,

The bar was 5/8" diameter, or 15.87mm and was turned down to 14.25mm for the Killer. I have another 5/8" bar on order, and I'm hoping to shoe-horn in a mini FluPic and slightly larger Li-Ion battery in the next one. :D

First, though is learn how to get a great finish on the material. Whatever happens, it will be coated with some Renaissance wax for protection.

jch79

I have another 5/8" bar on order, and I'm hoping to shoe-horn in a mini FluPic and slightly larger Li-Ion battery in the next one. :D

Wow, only 5/8"?? The amount of detail makes it look like it's at least an inch OD. :eek:oo: I imagine the pattern will look really cool length-wise too, not just on the end.

Re: Flupic'd Li-Ion... :takeit::paypal::thanks: I think you have my address?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is true hand-forged Mokume, copper and nickel silver. It will be a show piece, only, certainly not for keychain use. I have contacted the XPM folks, but they are primarily geared up for large volume manufacturers, of which, I am not one. :crackup: With a little luck, I might possibly get some stock from XPM as they are still doing prototype metal combos and might have some that would work for flashlights. We will see.

In the meantime, I've been polishing and waiting for a variety of coloring compounds to arrive, hoping to bring to life the faint patterns that are currently barely visible:

MGKiller-5.jpg

MGKiller-7.jpg

MGKiller-3.jpg

MGKiller-10.jpg

Hey, John, of course I have your number, along with a bunch of others. :D

donn_

Flashaholic

It really is beautiful.

Apparently, one of the major players at XPM is a big-time authority on real mokume.

From what I understand, the majority of their production is in tubes, to be cut for rings and other jewelry.

I have some good contacts in the jewelry biz, and I've sent out some feelers for these tubes. Seems like they're ready made for flashlight fab. You'd have to figure out a solid end for the tail, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Plug the tube with platinum, or some such.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It really is beautiful.

Apparently, one of the major players at XPM is a big-time authority on real mokume.

From what I understand, the majority of their production is in tubes, to be cut for rings and other jewelry.

I have some good contacts in the jewelry biz, and I've sent out some feelers for these tubes. Seems like they're ready made for flashlight fab. You'd have to figure out a solid end for the tail, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Plug the tube with platinum, or some such.

Actually, both of them are Mokume Gane experts--Steve Midget wrote a book on Mokume Gane, or two, and Jim Binnion is of one of the top jewelers in the U.S., specializing in Mokume Gane.

XPM does do solid extrusions, too. However, a thick walled tube would be perfect--assuming one wants to use a tail switch.

Why don't you ask your jewelry friends to find us a nice round bar of Mokume Gane, with some precious metals in it. :devil:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

A bunch of chemicals came in today, so I wanted to play with them a bit. I was expecting the patinizing to be very easy--little did I know. :laughing:

So another learning experience as I tried different solutions, techniques, etc.

I like shiny objects, but making Mokume shiny, while still having some sort of patina, is not an easy thing to accomplish, as I'm learning. The problem, of course, is that to get something shiny means it has to be polished, or buffed, but doing that will most likely remove the color that patinizing gives to the copper portion of the Mokume. But, if the Mokume is etched first, then the copper layer is lower than the nickel silver, so theoretically, it might be possible to polish the nickel silver while leaving the copper patina untouched.

So, that's what I've tried to do, as these photos show. What the patina really adds, though, is the instant impression of holding an antique in your hands. And, generally speaking, there aren't a lot of shiny metal antiques kicking around. Maybe I will go for the subdued, non-shiny look after all.

MGKIllerEtched-1.jpg

MGKIllerEtched-3.jpg

MGKIllerEtched-4.jpg

Your feedback would be appreciated.

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened

Fred, it now looks like a Zebra. I like the shinny, tri color all polished up version myself better. If handled it will pantina by itself in time.

RocketTomato

Enlightened

I would try to bake it in your oven or even apply a flame to the material. The copper should oxidize at the elevated temperatures and darken. You can practice with some clean pennies first.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Jim, yup--it does look like a zebra now that you point it out. I am inclined to agree with you that perhaps a natural patina and some wear will make the light look best. Although RocketTomato's suggestion might be worth exploring, too. That would be one way to develop some color contrast without having to do the invasive etching.

I may play with that approach with the test piece today.

jch79

And, generally speaking, there aren't a lot of shiny metal antiques kicking around. Maybe I will go for the subdued, non-shiny look after all.

I really like the idea of that, Fred. It's clear and obvious that this is no antique, yet it's got an old-school look to it. No school like the old school!

That pattern rocks! Do the etched areas provide some grip as well? (Not that this would be an EDC where you'd need extreme grip, but just wondering!)

john

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

John,

There is certainly a noticeable texture to the surface, but not one that I would characterize as 'grippy.' It feels nice, as your fingers do notice the difference in heights between the two metals.

deusexaethera

Banned

It looks better without the patina. Nobody is ever going to believe that an LED flashlight is old enough to be that oxidized, so you might as well enjoy the shiny metal now and enjoy the patina when it's actually old enough to have one.

jch79

It looks better without the patina. Nobody is ever going to believe that an LED flashlight is old enough to be that oxidized, so you might as well enjoy the shiny metal now and enjoy the patina when it's actually old enough to have one.

I think this is a matter of opinion, cause I dig the patina look (then again, I like blasted Ti too) - it's got a really cool worn-in look. Not trying to fake anyone, just trying for something different (which is part of what makes Fred's lights so unique).

How's about this for that "broken in" look: the Gibson F5 Distressed Master Model Mandolin :drool: - only $25,000 for a brand new instrument that's made to look like it's 86 years old. It beats buying a 1923 Loyd Loar Gibson F5 mandolin though... those will run you $150,000 if it's not in great shape.

Wait, what's this thread about? :thinking: Oh yeah - Fred's lights "rock". :rock: :D

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Different strokes for different folks. :devil:

While I like shiny and smooth, the Mokume Killer was such a learning experience, that I had no roadmap to achieve what I thought I wanted. so I took what came along and went with it. In this case, the etching created some texture, which I tried to highlight through sanding with very fine paper, then I applied the patina solution, which actually seemed to make the nickel silver darker, so I sanded again, managing to remove some of the copper's patina in sections. That created some additional color, which looked interesting.

Sent some photos off to the buyer, yes, jch79, and he liked it, so I completed the job by applying a layer of Renaissance Wax.

Just waiting now for my new 90mA drivers to arrive and then John can have some fun taking photos, too. :D

Waxed-1.jpg

Waxed-3.jpg

Waxed-5.jpg

The next Mokume light, I will skip the etching, and perhaps try some other method of developing the patina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts