• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Kuukuu Mokume Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: Sorta looks like a Killer

Different strokes for different folks. :devil:

While I like shiny and smooth, the Mokume Killer was such a learning experience, that I had no roadmap to achieve what I thought I wanted. so I took what came along and went with it. In this case, the etching created some texture, which I tried to highlight through sanding with very fine paper, then I applied the patina solution, which actually seemed to make the nickel silver darker, so I sanded again, managing to remove some of the copper's patina in sections. That created some additional color, which looked interesting.

Sent some photos off to the buyer, yes, jch79, and he liked it, so I completed the job by applying a layer of Renaissance Wax.

Just waiting now for my new 90mA drivers to arrive and then John can have some fun taking photos, too. :D

Waxed-1.jpg

Waxed-3.jpg

Waxed-5.jpg

The next Mokume light, I will skip the etching, and perhaps try some other method of developing the patina.
Love the etching and patina and there are lots of single color metals to do shiny with. By all means try some other methods, but definitely do more with the etching in the future too. :wave:

deusexaethera

Banned
Well, um...hmm. I have to say the final version definitely looks better than I thought it would, since you were set on etching it.

jch79, of course it's a matter of opinion; did it even need to be said?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
The eagle has landed! :twothumbs

mg0160sm.jpg

What else can I say but :drool: :duh2: :rock: :party: :eek:oo: !

mg0174sm.jpg

The Kuukuu Mokume Killer is truly a beauty to hold, to feel, and to look at. Its weight is heavier than I imagined - it makes it feel "substantially tiny". :D The ridges from the etching are awesome to rub your fingers over - the double-etched "patina" look is really cool too. :cool: The threading is perfect (something that scares me with etched lights), and the machining tweaks from the standard Killer design rock!

mg0183sm.jpg

And 90mA of nicely tinted 5mm LED goodness comes out of it to boot! :nana: And while this light will be loved and taken care of, it's too cool not to pocket carry every so often.

Fred continues to outdo himself, and the only sad part about owning one of his lights is that he's constantly refining his art, and the next one is going to all the more cool! :ohgeez:

What can I say - I'm coocoo for the Kuukuu. :kiss:

:thumbsup: john

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . The threading is perfect (something that scares me with etched lights), and the machining tweaks from the standard Killer design rock!
. . .

:thumbsup: john

John,

Maybe the threads are so smooth because they were not etched? :devil:

I used a UV curable masking compound to protect the threads and the O-ring landings from the etchant--it seems to have worked fine with the ferric chloride, but I don't know how well it would work with a more aggressive etchant--but that's what experimentation is all about. :grin2:

Nice pics, btw!

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened
jch79

Very very very nice! :thumbsup: I've got to finish my studies (thesis actually) and start proper work to have one "commissioned". Till then, I can always appreciate the effort that goes into every one of these masterpieces and dream! *Now where's that cloud 9 emoticon?*

Cheers!
Sami

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again.............Fred,you nailed it!
LIST ???
1. you know who (griff)

gollum

Enlightened
Very nice Fred
BTW mokume gane means ... metal wood,referring to the grain pattern

are you going to make some more of these?
I know enough about mokume to get into trouble:crackup:

I make mokume gane
I use pure silver and pure(ofc)copper

I only use it for my knives
part of the process involves forging a decent pattern into it.
this results in a fairly thin piece of material
which is what I want for knife bolsters

there are some good sources of mokume available here...

Pattern Gallery

heres a pic of some on a knife I made

RIMG0458.jpg

RIMG0442.jpg

I also have some beads for sale
cheers Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

gollum

Enlightened
yes thats right
I made a billet starting at 1"X 3" X 5"
27 layers of silver and copper
cost of silver was $500
we worked out the electric kiln cost $60 just in electricity to fire the kiln over 12 hours:faint:
we also turned a billet into sludge ...totally melted into useless crud mixed with charcoal bits :hairpull:
I cant think how hard it would be to put some decent pattern into a round bar
I've tried twisting some before but it doesn't work

James Binion makes rings out of palladium/gold/platinum :eek:

spts

Newly Enlightened
brand new here and still can not figure out how to send someone a message. i would like some help with tritium and also like to purchase a tritium light

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link to a German producer of Mokume Gane
http://www.schichtwerk.com/englisch/material/products.html

As you can see they even produce torsion rods, unfortunately those are a bit thin with a diameter of about 7-8mm, but I really like the look of them. They won't come cheap though (copper/silver or palladium/silver).

/paul

Thanks, Paul. I will e-mail them and see if they can produce a larger diameter rod. Those are quite attractive.

I have actually commissioned a maker to produce a precious metal Mokume Gane tube for me. He's very sure that he will be able to come up with an OD of 21mm and enough length to make one CR123 light. The end of the battery tube will have to be soldered in place, of course. I believe the blend will be silver, white palladium gold and red gold.

And if, deusexaethera, is wow'ed by the price of the common Mokume Gane lights, he will be left speechless when he hears the price of the precious metal Mokume Gane light. :devil:

Needless to say, I'm not planning a production run of precious metal Mokume Gane lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.