The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

BloodLust

Enlightened
Okay, technically this isn't part of a BOB. Simply supplements it. A slightly large belt pouch or average fanny pack with the basics needed in it. Not my idea. Comes from a student of a wilderness survival expert.

Concept being that should you have to ditch your BOB for whatever reason, you still have the basics that your EDC doesn't cover. For example, a few water purification tabs, a small ferro rod and striker, a decent multi-tool with a saw feature (if you don't EDC one, or perhaps carry a tiny multi-tool as your EDC). Along those lines. Items to only be used if you get separated from your BOB. Perhaps because someone wants it and starts chasing you with ill intent. Might have to ditch it due to its weight slowing down your escape. Or perhaps you decide getting rid of it will satisfy your pursuer. You might be out matched or outgunned. At least with the belt kit that never leaves your body, you still have a few supplies to keep going.

I do this concept with my EDC and when I go camping.
My EDC is a sling bag with the basics that integrate into my BOB when I need it to.

When camping, I have a separate lumbar pack from my hiking bag. For some sites, it's impractical to lug uour whole pack ip to the summit, so the main bag stays in camp and the lumbar pack comes with me.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Ahhh yes... you got me there! I was stuck in the house all last winter, and had forgotten how cold it had gotten.

Did you ever consider cutting pieces of bubble wrap, maybe the mylar reflectored type to the sizes of your windows as insulation? I am sure that a lot of the heat is lost through the glass.

The relective foam insulation thst come in rolls used in houses work well. cut them that they're sized for the windows and glue some suction cups on them to attach them to the windows.
Velcro stickers shoild work too but you would also need to put some velcro patches around the window. Not aesthetically pleasing.

I've seen this insulation used by those van living and they have them permanently attached. Though I've only seen them done outside the interior panels, would it be feasible to have these put inside the panels? I assume it will help with the R-value.
Like putting them in the cieling panel and under the floor boards. I suppose these will help by insulating against the sun bearing down on the roof of the car and the heat reflecting off the pavement. Also against the cold if there's snow buildup on the roof and prevent the cold from rcoming through the floor.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Cloth screen material (duct tape has already been mentioned.)

Ever try sleeping in your car on a hot summer night with the windows open and the mosquitoes buzzing in your ears, and chewing on your face?

Let's bug out in style and comfort eh?

BloodLust

Enlightened
Cloth screen material (duct tape has already been mentioned.)

Ever try sleeping in your car on a hot summer night with the windows open and the mosquitoes buzzing in your ears, and chewing on your face?

Let's bug out in style and comfort eh?

Good call. Even our winter where I'm from is hot and humid. I'll look into that.
I do have a battery powered fan in the car. Helps with air circulation.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Flat Fresnel lens, such as the 3x magnifying credit card size for reading. While they may be good for helping read the small print in a compact survival manual, they are especially good as an extra way to make fire that is reusable, durable, and extremely compact.

Also, 190 proof Everclear. Useful for firestarting/stoves, medical purposes, and making your tea pack a punch. :p There are many uses for nearly pure ethanol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay, these items don't get priority in a BOB. But perhaps they should. You're going to need to rest. Not too difficult if traveling by vehicle. But you might be on foot. For a lighter weight sleeping option, there's a tube tent instead of a regular one. Just be sure to sleep in the woods with a hat and mosquito net over your face, and with a pair of gloves on.

Instead of a normal sleeping bag, you can use an SOL Escape Bivy. Far less bulk, more compact.

One thing often left out completely is a sleeping pad. Less about comfort, and more about getting you up off the ground so you don't lose body heat. The cheapest is solid foam. Sold at places like Wal-mart, you get zero comfort. A bit bulky but not too bad overall. Cheap and no issues if it suffers a puncture. What I don't like though is the color. When bugging out, its sky-blue color stands out too much in the woods. Same issue with most tube tents. While cheap, the only ones I see in Brick & Mortar stores are International Orange in color.

Another solid foam sleeping pad I've seen at pricier outdoor shops is grey in color and more textured. But oh man is it ridiculously bulky when rolled up!! Unless your BOB is a dedicated large backpacker's pack, forget about this one. And even then, the only place to put it is strapped to the very bottom of your pack.... Where it WILL protrude from both sides. Now that's with the regular length version. The extended length one is clownishly awful in that regard.

Another option is a self-inflating pad. These are great for comfort. And, they store in much less bulkier configuration when rolled up. Yes, they will become useless if accidentally punctured. But that's why you carry a repair kit. Not just for sleeping. A good pad is useful if you've made camp for the night and can't find a dry spot to sit and relax a bit. You might even be able to prop up part of the pad against a tree stump for a back rest. Though that would be best reserved for one of the sold foam versions.

It's tough to be alert when on the move if you sleep poorly during a bug out scenario. On foot, a good pad would definitely help if you find a secure spot to sleep. Personally, I bought both a compact self-inflating model and a good repair kit a few days ago. Honestly, I would have gone for the cheapest option if they just had some other color available than simply sky-blue. I don't know.... maybe a can of tan or dark green spray paint would do it. I've never spray painted foam. So not sure if it would ruin the pad or not. I'm happy with my subdued grey self-inflating model. Though those types of pads are FAR from cheap. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, since the topic seems to be winding down I decided to post the following. Although not something you'd pack in a BOB, it's definitely related to this topic. For those wanting to do more research into the topic, one survival expert wrote (as far as I know) the only book on the topic of putting together a BOB bag.

Creek Stewart's "Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag."

Part of a series of books that includes building the perfect bug out vehicle, and building the perfect set of bug out skills. I have all three. Each is far from perfect. While not a ringing endorsement, the book on the bug out bag has some excellent ideas worth checking out. As for the rest, here are some of the issues I found with the book:

1- While bag types are covered, no specific models are mentioned. Not even the bags the author uses. Yet later on, he makes specific mention of 4 fixed-blade knives he really likes. (One of which would be very difficult to resharpen during a bug out due to its steel.)

2- Along with that, no mention of packing even a basic sharpener.

3- Dislikes packing MREs despite the fact that they're some of the best food options in a BOB due to their long shelf life and no need to use up your water the way you would with dehydrated meals. Never mentions taking MREs apart and repacking, for example, just the entrees to save space.

4- Loves multi-fuel liquid gas stoves. But leaves out some of the disadvantages of relying on one during a bug out. For those who own one, you already know those aggravating disadvantages.

5- Loves free standing tents. Fails to mention that they can be picked up and blown away during a strong wind. Especially if you're bugging out alone.

6- This is a BIG one. Author loves Wet-fire tinder! But completely fails to mention that unlike other types of tinder, Wet-fire expires. And speaking from experience, when it does; you'll have an easier time drowning a duck by throwing it into a lake. Than you will getting this expired commercial tinder to burn. Imagine putting away a bunch of Wet-fire, one day needing it, and it won't light. Just irresponsible that the author fails to mention that fact. Personally, I switched to Tinder Quik tabs since they work well and don't expire.

7- Author repeats the age old nonsense that if you use a knife for self-defense, an attacker could take it away from you and use it against you. (Yeah, cause violent attackers love grabbing the only exposed portion of a knife.... the blade with its sharp cutting edge.)

8- Also, some really bad advice about WHERE to get good S.D. training.

9- One thing you never want to do is call up your local police department and ask what the self-defense laws are in your area. One, sometimes they honestly don't know the specific laws. Especially if you start asking about concealed carry laws regarding handguns, and use of deadly force. Yet, the author recommends doing just that. Honestly, consult with an attorney in your area who specializes in firearms laws, etc. It'll cost you a consulting fee, but it's worth it.

10- Never mentions the importance of packing plenty of extra ammo for your BOB handgun. Genuinely believing that extra ammo can be found or purchased during a major bug out disaster. Yet correctly points out that finding gas during such a disaster is going to be unrealistic.

11- Refers to binoculars or a monocular as a luxury item in a BOB. Either one though will let you check out an area in advance before you go stumbling into an ambush or bumping into a gang who were just setting up camp for the night. A quality monocular in particular takes up very little space in a BOB. Though a compact set of binocs is usually easier and cheaper to find.

12- The section regarding The "Quickie" Bug out bag makes no sense to me. One, there's huge holes in the list of needed items that'll significantly drive the price up from $303.80; which makes sense since even early on the author mentions that a BOB is going to require both time and money to put together. Two, many of the items for the Quickie are downright cheap junk that'll likely break or let you down during a bug out. As in, when you need those items (especially the tools) to work under the worst of conditions. Again, contradicting himself as earlier he points out the need to stock your BOB with quality tools/gear. No you don't need the very top of the line items out there to stock your BOB. But neither should you stock it with the cheapest (junk) items available.

Overall though, the book is worth reading. The author simply has some biases and his knowledge of self-defense related topics is lacking. But he doesn't admit that. I will say that his choice for a Bug Out S.D. handgun was thought-provoking. And makes sense. He prefers a revolver with a snubby barrel chambered in .357 magnum. His reasons for that choice were excellent.

I just didn't want this post to seem as though I agreed with everything in the book. There are issues with it. But it's a very thorough take on what to include in a BOB, and what to leave out. Though he did miss a few key items mentioned in this topic.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. Regarding sleeping pads, I've grown to like the ones you blow up yourself. They seem to fold down more compactly than the self inflating ones in my experience and are also more comfortable (of course opinions here can vary).

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Monocrom,
for that very interesting post (above).

Regarding item # 11 --

I purchased THESE compact binoculars 3 years ago,
and am VERY happy with them ! Thrilled !

Yes, I also have a nice 7x50 Fujinon model,
with far superior performance,
but * hands-down *, the convenience factor of :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GSLBSS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

has constantly trumped my bigger binoculars !

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Interesting thread. Regarding sleeping pads, I've grown to like the ones you blow up yourself. They seem to fold down more compactly than the self inflating ones in my experience and are also more comfortable (of course opinions here can vary).

It's just the specific nature of a bug out scenario. If you're alone in say a hidden clearing in the woods, last thing you want to do is manually inflate a pad and have someone sneak up on you because you're concentrating on that activity. With a self-inflating one, you can keep watch while it inflates on its own. Though it is an issue when deflating it, and you need to take off quickly. While the comfort is going to be lacking, I still (overall) like the idea of a basic foam pad for bugging out. Just can't find one locally that isn't that silly sky-blue color. Need to leave camp quickly, just grab and roll it up!

With a self-inflating one, as strange as it seems, poke a hole or two in it with your knife, roll it up, and fix the punctures later. Yeah, those basic foam pads have their advantages. Gotta be honest there.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thank you, Monocrom,
for that very interesting post (above).

Happy to help. :)

Regarding item # 11 --

I purchased THESE compact binoculars 3 years ago,
and am VERY happy with them ! Thrilled !

Yes, I also have a nice 7x50 Fujinon model,
with far superior performance,
but * hands-down *, the convenience factor of :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GSLBSS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

has constantly trumped my bigger binoculars !

Looks like an excellent pair of binoculars.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

That depends IMHO on type of inflatable. I prefer insulated inflatable but that said don't ever go with just an inflatable as had them deflate. The worst was at Negative 25 F at 3 am. No joke it was ugly. Here is the best of both worlds. A shorter length insulated inflatable with closed cell pad. A closed cell pad is a bomb proof multi use gear item.

pblanch

Enlightened
P2 mask.

The flat ones take up no room.

Loads of dusts asbestos and fumes are in any major incident.

Note the limitations of these masks. They will not protect against gasses or or low Oxygen environments.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just the specific nature of a bug out scenario. If you're alone in say a hidden clearing in the woods, last thing you want to do is manually inflate a pad and have someone sneak up on you because you're concentrating on that activity. With a self-inflating one, you can keep watch while it inflates on its own. Though it is an issue when deflating it, and you need to take off quickly. While the comfort is going to be lacking, I still (overall) like the idea of a basic foam pad for bugging out. Just can't find one locally that isn't that silly sky-blue color. Need to leave camp quickly, just grab and roll it up!

With a self-inflating one, as strange as it seems, poke a hole or two in it with your knife, roll it up, and fix the punctures later. Yeah, those basic foam pads have their advantages. Gotta be honest there.

True, those are good points.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That depends IMHO on type of inflatable. I prefer insulated inflatable but that said don't ever go with just an inflatable as had them deflate. The worst was at Negative 25 F at 3 am. No joke it was ugly. Here is the best of both worlds. A shorter length insulated inflatable with closed cell pad. A closed cell pad is a bomb proof multi use gear item.

And that's also a good point. That sounds like an awful time to have an inflatable fail on you! I might have to rethink what I do when backpacking haha.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened

Have you looked at the dumboloungesacks?

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
First, let me recommend a book that helped me learn a lot about backpacking, which, is really kind of what we are talking about with a Get Home Bag or BOB.

51K9PQ93JRL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have an earlier edition of this book, I think it is version III. Fletcher breaks down the contents of a pack into "rooms", like in a home. For example, the sleeping pad and sleeping bag would be part of your "bedroom", and your cooking gear would be your "kitchen". Anyway, it makes sense the way he explains it, and the version I have is very good, I imagine the latest version is updated with the newer technology/latest in equipment. To what he lists, one can add your PDA (Personal Defensive Armaments), prescription meds, tools, etc. that you think that you might need.

Some things that I don't believe were mentioned in previous posts are:

Sling shot and ball bearing ammo
Pellet pistol, pellets and CO2 powerlets for quiet hunting
Fishing tackle
Snare wire

While having MRE's along will likely see one to where they need to go, they are a finite food supply, and if one got delayed too long, the ability to hunt, fish and trap food could become the difference between life and death.

Some other things that I thought about:

Goggles
Helmet (Kevlar, bicycle, motorcycle, etc.)

And in reference to communications, a good VHF/UHF amateur radio handie-talkie could save one's bacon. Coupled with a mobile antenna and coax cable connector adapter, it could reach help using it's internal battery if the vehicle battery was dead.

irongate

Enlightened
People should really think about a bag to get them from their work place to home. Traffic jams, snow storms, etc. The list is up to you on what you feel you need and how far from work to home.