The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about barbed wire, but many years ago someone did a review about a rather unique folding knife (same length as a Victorinox Tinker model) though considerably thicker. It was an Aitor brand pocket-knife that had real folding pliers head as one of the tools. It was still thinner than a Vic Swiss Champ. The author of the article mentioned the pliers were not as strong as what you'd get on a Leatherman tool. But he demonstrated they were strong enough to cut through chicken wire. So, many years later, something like the Leatherman Super Tool 300 or Rebar will easily cut through that.

I'm now trying to track down a black coated Rebar. Ironically (hours before I realized I wanted one) I found the non-black version in a large, chain hardware store. Why couldn't it be black?!
same here, black rebar! got a regular skeletool for the urban edc.

scout24

Flashaholic
Quick thoughts- Ever since I purchased a sillcock key after reading Monocrom's post about it, I find myself looking for the access doors for them on commercial buildings I find myself dealing with. Lots more out there, even in suburbia/rural areas than I thought. As far as boltcutters, I've got to find the name but they sell upside down "T" shaped steps that hook through the links in a chain link fence to make climbing it easier. Chain link is a time consuming p.i.t.a. to cut through, but bolt cutters obviously have other uses... :)

Edit- If anyone has a scanner recommendation that covers trunking systems, please post it here. Thanks!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as I know, every commercial building has an access panel for use with a sillcock key. Some are better hidden than others though. I was walking past the commercial building with numerous offices that are rented out, a block away from my apartment. Doctor's offices, medical labs, auto insurance offices, etc. And just a few days ago, I was walking past, looking down, and I see the spigot sticking right out the wall. No panel, nothing recessed, the opening for water access was just right there. Literally hanging out of the building. :D

Also, while I don't normally make these types of posts.... +1 on good scanner recommendations.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all really interesting about the sillcock. I might have to go pick one up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is all really interesting about the sillcock. I might have to go pick one up.

They're right around $8.oo at any of big chain hardware stores. Just be sure to get a 4-way key. Those will have all 4 of the absolute most common measurements. They do make single keys that look like oversized versions of the keys used on very old-fashioned wind-up toys. But the 4-way ones are best.

SapperStyle

Newly Enlightened
If your just getting into preparedness, it can be very overwhelming and expensive. I would suggest working toward your goal in levels. I would start with storing two weeks worth of water and nonperishable, easy to prepare food.. This is not a difficult task, unless you have a big family. There are multiple ways to go about this, research which is best for your situation.

Having useable equipment on your person is crucial, build your EDC. Knife, flashlight, firearm, cell phone, first aid, multi-tool, lock picks, etc.. One often overlooked EDC item is knowledge/training. It weighs nothing.

Once your EDC if finished, I would suggest working on a get home bag (GHB). The GHB should be with you daily. Carry it, use it, and take it out for a walk occaisionally. You would be amazed at what you can learn from actually using your gear. There is a good list of options and ideas in this thread, just dont go crazy. You have to be able to walk with it on your back over rough terrain. Think "lite". The target weight for my GHB is 20 pounds or less. Thats with one quart of water in the bag already and enough trail food to sustain me (not feed me) for a few days. The GHB should be tailored to your situation (terrain, weather, location, etc), but also cover the basics (shelter, water, food, fire, first aid) enough to get you home or to a safer area.

Next is an actual Bug Out Bag (BOB). Think of this like an expanded GHB. The bug out bag is used for when your home has been compromised and you have to leave. I know of some who just add the additional gear to their GHB or strap their GHB to their BOB for simplicity. Again, there is plenty of info and resources out there on building a BOB. I use a hiking style pack and try to keep this bag below 45 pounds. This weight includes 5 days of food and three quarts of water. The important thing is to have an actual place to go to once you leave your home. Many over look this. Again, build the bag for your situation.

The BOB bag will contain items that will be useful in the home (Bug In) or at your Bug Out Location (BOL). Items like: water filter, sleeping bag, first aid, tent/tarp, knife, tools, etc..

Once this is done I would recommend working on supplying your home, vehicles, and BOL with what you may need during a situation. Look at ways to sustain resources (i.e. rainwater collection, livestock,)

Work on planning. Network with like minded individuals. Some places actually have prepping "clubs" where people gather and trade info, ideas, and do mock bug outs to test equipment and skills. Some people band together and form groups, pledging assistance to one another in the event of a disaster. Take caution though. There are prepping groups out there that do not have you in their best interest. I have seen groups that plan on using their resources for raiding, looting, and stealing from others.

I recommend learning valuable skills. Bushcraft, marksmanship, gardening, basic carpentry, lock picking, etc.. There are plenty of good books, youtube videos, and schools out there. I learned a great deal from those crazy ultra light hikers.

...........go ahead and get a second job to pay for all this crap. LoL.

Final words from my experience: I love my Family and this is how I invest in their safety and well being. No everyone will agree with preparing for the unknowns, and most will think your crazy. Dont talk openly about your preparations. The less that know the better.

Learn.....Teach......Train.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ELECTRICAL GADGETS of my ~10lb/L EDC/GHB bag with a spin toward camping and adventure travel. Primarily rigged for EDC entertainment and solo off-grid monitoring, but of course all critical in an emergency situation. I have various solar options but find its usage:bulk ratio unacceptable for daily EDC. My emergency power solution is efficiency, conservation, and extreme battery versatility/cannibalism/scavenging/MacGyvering - eg, I can all shift power to the critical comm devices, and the lights can run weeks on any scavenged battery (eg 9V, D, CR123, 18650). I've been in a few situations where battery power was an issue, but only because it was the wrong type (that won't happen again)

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Thank you.

For those on a tight budget, anything a bit less? Personally, I throw money at all types of gear. But you know.... something for the more fiscally responsible members out there. :)

Unfortunately, none that I know of. If you find something cheaper, just remember you get what you pay for. The good stuff is always expensive, but since it can save your bacon, ask yourself how much your life is worth.

You can get cheap ChiCom scanning VHF/UHF handie talkies, but they won't be digital compatible or have trunking scanning capabilities. They are better than nothing, but...they're crap, IMO. I highly recommend that you save up the money and pop for the top of the line Uniden digital trunking scanner(s). I don't think that I have ever regretted buying the best of anything. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Next is an actual Bug Out Bag (BOB). Think of this like an expanded GHB.

While I agree with most of the rest of your post, I can't agree with the above. A GHB is incredibly personal. While there are certain specialized items in individual BOBs, for example: extra pairs of prescription eye-glasses for those who don't even remotely have 20/20 vision, many of the items are going to be (for lack of a better term) "standard issue." Hanks of 550 paracord, a good fixed-blade knife with at least a 4.5" inch blade or a bit longer (preferably full-tang), a quality multi-tool w/ one of the included items being a saw, a metal cup (or small pot, or S.S. water-bottle) for boiling water, etc.

A GHB though depends entirely on how far away a person lives from work and their physical condition. A good wad of cash is easily the most important item to keep in a GHB. In a BOB?.... Debatable. (Personally I don't see cash even being in the Top 5.) A person who lives two blocks away can easily walk home without even needing to use his EDC with the exception of his keys. Assuming the disaster isn't happening at the place he works at, he's perfectly fine without a GHB. But everyone needs a BOB since any type of disaster in which people willingly abandon their homes to become refugees on the road, is by its nature going to be a HUGE one. Even if the disaster is localized. Without individual specialty items, the contents of a BOB will be useful to whoever finds it. From the guy who lives 2 blocks away from work, to the guy who commutes 40 miles one-way everyday into the city from upstate.

Someone who lives 40 miles away that takes him through wooded areas is going to need a different GHB than someone who can get to work grabbing one bus in the city.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, none that I know of. If you find something cheaper, just remember you get what you pay for. The good stuff is always expensive, but since it can save your bacon, ask yourself how much your life is worth.

You can get cheap ChiCom scanning VHF/UHF handie talkies, but they won't be digital compatible or have trunking scanning capabilities. They are better than nothing, but...they're crap, IMO. I highly recommend that you save up the money and pop for the top of the line Uniden digital trunking scanner(s). I don't think that I have ever regretted buying the best of anything. :)

Thanks for the heads-up. (Yeah, I'd rather not have crap.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, just a quick thing about the Leatherman Rebar (and likely the SuperTool 300 since they use the same locking system).

Yesterday, I had a chance to really look over the Rebar. Toyed with the idea of just getting the regular one instead of ordering the black version online. I was surprised to see a bit of up and down wiggle from the Phillips driver in the open & closed position. Tried the main blade next. Better, but still some wiggle. The serrated blade was the absolute worst! I found it unacceptable and was surprised it got past Leatherman's quality controls. Thinking that the display model may have been played with too often, I asked to see another Rebar NIB. Well, turns out NIB has been replaced with NIBP (New In Blister Pack). Fortunately for me, they know me. Spent a lot of money in that store. So, the guy carefully peeled back the blister pack on the new one. And, I couldn't believe it!....

Each of the tools mentioned above, mirrored the tools on the brand new one. Phillips, some play. Main blade, less so. Serrated blade, completely unacceptable level of play.

No side-to-side play on either one though. Still, my Victorinox One-Hand Trekker has a bit of vertical play and no horizontal play as well. Though that model (and others like it) have a nice liner-lock that physically blocks the blade from closing shut unintentionally. Yes, you fold the handles on the Rebar before using one of the tools and you've got that measure of safety. But unlike an Original Leatherman PST with no lock, once the lock should fail on the Rebar; it's going to be an issue continuing to use the tool. Especially in a Bug Out scenario.

Just something to keep in mind. It was a deal-breaker for me. But if you like that multi-tool, just be aware of that one disadvantage.

SapperStyle

Newly Enlightened
While I agree with most of the rest of your post, I can't agree with the above. A GHB is incredibly personal. While there are certain specialized items in individual BOBs, for example: extra pairs of prescription eye-glasses for those who don't even remotely have 20/20 vision, many of the items are going to be (for lack of a better term) "standard issue." Hanks of 550 paracord, a good fixed-blade knife with at least a 4.5" inch blade or a bit longer (preferably full-tang), a quality multi-tool w/ one of the included items being a saw, a metal cup (or small pot, or S.S. water-bottle) for boiling water, etc.

A GHB though depends entirely on how far away a person lives from work and their physical condition. A good wad of cash is easily the most important item to keep in a GHB. In a BOB?.... Debatable. (Personally I don't see cash even being in the Top 5.) A person who lives two blocks away can easily walk home without even needing to use his EDC with the exception of his keys. Assuming the disaster isn't happening at the place he works at, he's perfectly fine without a GHB. But everyone needs a BOB since any type of disaster in which people willingly abandon their homes to become refugees on the road, is by its nature going to be a HUGE one. Even if the disaster is localized. Without individual specialty items, the contents of a BOB will be useful to whoever finds it. From the guy who lives 2 blocks away from work, to the guy who commutes 40 miles one-way everyday into the city from upstate.

Someone who lives 40 miles away that takes him through wooded areas is going to need a different GHB than someone who can get to work grabbing one bus in the city.
I agree....thats why I said:

"The GHB should be tailored to your situation"

And:

"Again, build the bag for your situation."

Many, but not all, GHB models are miniaturized versions of BOBs. As always, YMMV.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree....thats why I said:

"The GHB should be tailored to your situation"

And:

"Again, build the bag for your situation."

Many, but not all, GHB models are miniaturized versions of BOBs. As always, YMMV.

You were doing well, until you got to that last statement. Once again, GHB as similar to a BOB. That was what I replied to. And pointed out the very real differences between the two.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, here's a good item that fits if you put some good preparation into possibly one day having to bug out. An e-tool (no, not one that helps you charge up your phone or tablet) or a good S.S. trowel.

There's the old military-issue Ames entrenching tool (personal favorite), along with many other folding mini shovels. With a good set of Contractor Knee pads and an Ames, you can easily do most of the chores reserved for a full-sized shovel. But you can easily carry it around in its cover.... If you don't mind the weight. Even the smallest e-tool I've found (Gerber Gorge) might still be a bit too heavy. (It doesn't help that Gerber pretty much phoned-in the cover for it.)

So.... lightest option would be the U-Dig-It S.S. folding trowel. It's the best trowel I've found. But it is a trowel, not a shovel.

Why pack an e-tool or even a trowel? You might realistically need one. Since bugging out is not the exciting adventure some folks think it is, you need to stack the deck to improve your chances of making it. Find a spot close to your BOL (Bug Out Location) and bury a cache. Ironically, no; I don't recommend burying guns. One thing to keep in mind is that someone might come by several weeks, months, or even years later; and stumble onto your cache. If you have guns buried in it.... Not good!

Also, since your main tool for digging up your cache might be a trowel, we're not talking any container big enough to hold long guns. Think typical military ammo can. Along those lines. Either the actual cans themselves or perhaps heavy-duty plastic containers close in size to them. Maybe a couple of feet down. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to hide a thick plastic trowel near your cache too. (I say plastic in that role since a metal one will easily corrode over time kept constantly in a hidden spot outdoors.) What to put in the container?....

All of the basic BOB categories should be covered. For example: Ferro rod and striker, good quality S.S. knife, water purification pills, heavy-duty quart ziplock baggie (to use as water container to purify water), some paracord, and definitely a couple of freeze-dried meals or MRE entrees-only, etc. Why go to the trouble of burying a cache close to your BOL?....

Imagine getting there, the supplies in your BOB are low and.... You see your BOL has people living in it. :eek:

Yeah, not expecting that. But, it can happen. Maybe not if your BOL is an underground bunker. (Especially one of those new ones being advertised for those with plenty of disposable income. To put it mildly. There are companies out there that can build you underground units complete with luxury accommodations. Most impressive one I've seen is made from a few sections of cylinder placed horizontally. Yes, your new home will be domed. But the floor is half-way through the cylinder. So, plenty of storage space under your floor. Honestly, if I had the money, I'd buy property in the mid-west, put a normal home on it, put my BOL underneath my property. My Bug out journey would be 10 feet of running to my BOL. Yeah, I'd try to get a job that would let me work from home.)

But getting back to the situation.... What do you do? Two choices, basically. You can go in, or leave. If you decide the group that took over is just too prone to use violence, you'll still need to replenish some supplies. So, you go to your cache. Now you can at least move on with more supplies. You could decide to go in. But now you have another choice.... Let the family in your BOL know it's yours' but you're willing to share. Hope that none of the parents decide they're not going to share your food with you (as messed up as that sounds), and commit violence against you anyway. Or, you can use the threat of force to kick them off your BOL. Even a desperate and hungry man is going to choose to leave and live, rather than risk getting shot by the rightful property owner.

That's a moral issue for everyone to decide on their own. But that's why an e-tool or trowel in the old BOB is a good idea. Getting back to an earlier post, it's especially good if you've been separated from your BOB; and only have the little fanny-pack or large belt case on your hip to survive on now. In that case, the plastic, hidden, trowel would be needed. Also, let's stack the deck some more. No reason you can't have more than one cache. (Just realize that any of them can be stumbled onto and taken by anyone. So, don't put your best or any expensive items into the containers.)

You should have a primary route, and at least two alternate routes to your BOL. You can plant a cache along all three routes. Once again, the items don't need to be very expensive.

Another reason an e-tool or trowel is a good idea.... You stop to camp. You start setting up camp. You then find some used toilet-paper behind a bush. And it's fresh. Okay, you know someone is in the area. Time to get out of there! The flip side is, let's say that's your recent T.P. at the site. Now imagine someone finding that. Someone hungry, desperate, perhaps at the point now where hurting or killing another human-being for food and supplies is a very real option for them. Now they know that someone is nearby. Someone who packed toilet-paper with them. That means they likely packed other things as well. Food, shelter, maybe even a gun. Now this desperate and hungry individual is going to very quietly search for YOU.

Bury your scat. Maintain that low-profile. Consider a good e-tool or at very least a good S.S. folding trowel.

I'd like to thank YouTuber Survival Lilly for the excellent idea of burying a cache near your BOL. You guys know me. And you know I don't promote individual YouTubers or their channels. But that idea was not one of mine, nor one found in one of Creek Stewart's books. Just giving credit where it's due.

Last edited: