The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
You have some good points there, Monocrom. However, depending on the climate and location of your BOL, it may be best NOT to bury your cache. I live in Kansas, and in the dead of winter, the ground freezes HARD! Trying to dig up my immediately and desperately needed supplies from frozen ground with a plastic or SS trowel isn't a good scenario at all. I also metal detect, and frozen ground is not easy to dig into, so most MDers skip winter detecting and wait for the thaw. So, I would recommend that in locations where the ground can freeze, caches be located above ground.

Also, in the event of occupation of a BOL by another party, IMO you have only 4 possible options:

1) Make them allies. But the downside is that they will consume some of your resources.

2) Capture them, and keep them as prisoners. However this option also includes them consuming your resources, plus the difficulty of guarding them.

3) Eliminating them. The downside is that you will have to dispose of the bodies for sanitary reasons. This option may also pose moral and ethical difficulties for you or others in your group. The obvious advantages are you don't have to share resources, and you maintain OPSEC.

4) Abandoning the BOL to the interlopers. The downside to this option is fairly obvious--great inconvenience to possible death.

Simply pushing them out cannot be an option, as they will then be able to attempt to retake the location, as well as coming back with others (so an OPSEC problem).

Option 2 seems to be the least desirable, and whether one chooses option one or option three will likely depend on who the interlopers are, your strength, and the amount of resources available to share. Option 4 might be doable if you have an alternate BOL that you could reach.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
An excellent point about Winter issues. Sadly, you just can't prepare for everything that is realistically a possibility. I know of quite a few individuals who rely on a 3-Season tent as their main shelter in their BOB. They then hope that a combination of a very warm sleeping bag and a thicker than usual space blanket (ex: SOL Escape Bivy) will compensate for the possibility they might have to bug out during Winter.

Placing a cache above ground is an intriguing idea. I just can't think of a way to do it that won't cause it to be found, seen, or accidentally stumbled onto in a much easier way than burying it. I've considered various containers, and camo covers. But am still drawing a blank. If anyone has any ideas, please post.

Main thing to keep in mind is that the caches are containers for supplemental items. Good to have as an option, but you should be able to make it with just the contents in your BOB or, if no choice in the matter, just the items in your fanny pack or large belt-case kit. Like a 3-Season tent, the odds are 75% in your favor that you'll be able to access the cache (assuming someone else didn't stumble onto it). There's also the possibility that you'll still be in your BOV (bug out vehicle) when you reach your cache. Currently, I have a sedan. But a slightly compact full-sized shovel easily fits in the trunk. Winter unearthing will take plenty of elbow grease, but should be successful.

Forgot to add in my last post.... Be sure to toss in plenty of silica gel and cover the opening with plenty of duct tape or electrical tape after closing the lid. Moisture is the enemy.

As far as finding someone at your BOL:

1) I just don't think it's a good option. Yes, it's an option. But too many variables involved. You're not likely to get like a family or random group of survivors who are like-minded. One of them might decide, "Hey, if we kill the owner, we can act like this is our property if the cops stop by."

2) Not a good option if you're by yourself or with one other person. A small group will be hard to watch 24/7. There's also the moral aspect of doing that. And you still lose a good chunk of your resources keeping them fed. For how long? Possibly months at a time. A well-equipped BOL will only have 3-6 months of food & supplies. If yours' is at the lower end, now it's only going to be a month's worth. Maybe a bit more. And if the prisoners ever get loose....

3) It's an option. Ask any gravedigger though and they'll tell you that digging a 6-foot deep hole to accommodate a body is far harder than it looks. Murderers have been found after they dropped dead from massive heart-attacks while trying to dig a grave deep enough to bury their victims. Though if you have help, digging the hole is realistically not that hard. There's a few other steps involved that I'll be leaving out of this discussion since we're on a family friendly forum. But honestly, the moral and legal issues will be much harder to deal with than the technical ones.

4) The easiest option in terms of dealing with intruders. Though it might not be a realistic one if you're traveling with your family that includes small children and elderly relatives.

Kicking out one guy or a small family might be viable if you have enough people and guns in your group to put up a large show of force. But on your own against even a small group.... It's not going to be a realistic option.

braddy

Enlightened
This thread has left useful information, and gone into fantasy B movie fiction.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This thread has left useful information, and gone into fantasy B movie fiction.

Please feel free to elaborate. Which discussion points do you feel are unrealistic fantasy? If it's my suggestion to travel the route you'll be taking to your BOL to judge distance + fuel consumption from your BOV, and perhaps bury a small cache along the way.... I should point out that both aspects of preparing for a realistic disaster are advocated by several preparedness experts. With Lilly being the one who advocates placing a cache NEAR your BOL.

If that or any other aspect feels B-movie-ish to you, feel free to go into detail about why you believe it is. Also, I know that mood is difficult to convey over an internet forum. If I'm coming off as sounding a bit sarcastic, please know that is not my intent.

The biggest B-movie-ish aspect of bugging out is the fantasy that many people have. (Though I'd say those participating in this topic seem to get it.) It's not some heroic or exciting event. (Well, it's exciting. But for all the wrong reasons. Like going to a live Rammstein concert. Oh! It's going to be VERY exciting! And you're going to wish it wasn't.)

The reality is, you're a refugee with little more than the clothes on your back, the contents of your BOB, and maybe your vehicle. It's a traumatic and harrowing experience to actually bug out. It's a bit of a "cute" term. But it boils down to abandoning your home (maybe permanently) to literally try for better odds of surviving. Not even continuing to survive. But just to increase your odds of it. Also, bugging out isn't just about surviving Armageddon. It could be a temporary natural disaster. Your home in California being in the path of wild fires. Or, living near the shore with Hurricane Sandy only hours away. When you take off, you're bugging out. And once again, you need to stack the deck in your favor, any way you can. If you disagree, once again, please feel free to go into detail about which aspects of this discussion you feel are not realistic.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
The point is let's keep it to the gear in your kits and not how to dispose of bodies. All good?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The point is let's keep it to the gear in your kits and not how to dispose of bodies. All good?

I agree. That's why I left the specific details of that macabre subject out of the topic. I suppose this is the part where I say I thoroughly researched the subject for an intense criminology class years ago, before other members start getting the wrong idea. Thanks for letting me clarify that.

Back to gear, tools, and kit items.

Edit:

Speaking of which, I'm just about to wrap up evaluating a certain piece of gear that might just be ideal for inclusion in a BOB or a belt-kit back-up BOB as descriibed earlier in the topic. Very excited about it. Disappointed that every YouTube vid. I've seen has failed to point out the negatives. I'll post an honest review of it in a couple of days when I finish up.

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Got my new ferro rods in the mail yesterday, and have them in the plastic boxes that my two MSR Pocket Rockets store in. They in turn are zipper bagged with cook kits containing the stove fuel canisters. I'm slowly getting prepared.
Thanks Baden-Powell, thanks BSA! :thumbsup::thanks::goodjob:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you're storing them for now, give them a coat of clear nail polish or a coat of lacquer. Long-term storage, the iron in the rods starts to break down over time. When ready to use, just scrap off the polish or lacquer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, so here's my review of a certain little something. As far as non-specific items go, that's not possible when you're dealing with something that's the only one of its kind out on the market. I predict other companies, especially this company's biggest competitirs, will soon offer something along the same lines. But until Victorinox, SOG, or Gerber do, Leatherman has the market for outdoor-specific multi-tools all to themselves.

So, here's my review of The Leatherman Signal.

Bought this several days back. Wanted it right away after watching a few YouTube reviews. Paid a premium at a certain Brick & Mortar shop that will be unnamed due to the fact that a week later they almost cheated me, a regular customer, on the price of a Leatherman Juice CS4. It may have been an honest mistake. But, no; I just did not get the feeling that it was. So, it'll be a long time 'til they see me there again. Back to the Signal....

Let's just get this out of the way because it's going to be one of the first questions asked: "Is it gimmicky?"

A bit, yes. Then again, that can't be helped on something like a full-sized multi-tool with wilderness survival options incorporated into it. There is a huge size limit to bear in mind. If you're putting together a small FAK (First-Aid Kit) for example, you can't simply toss in a regular tube of antibiotic ointment since it'll either not fit in the case, or will take up too much room by itself. So instead, you toss in a couple of thin, small, travel packets of ointment instead. In a way, Leatherman had to do the same thing.

A proper, full-sized ferro rod and whistle was just not going to fit. So, they made ultra-compact versions of both to fit inside one handle slab. By necessity, that means no other tools are going to fit into that slab. Just the way it is. The yellow color scheme of that combo tool contributes to its gimmicky look. However, in the handle, it sits very securely. No wobble, no movement. It doesn't interfere with your grip if you're using the pliers. Another reason for the "gimmick" image is that some think this combo tool is meant to replace or back-up a bigger ferro rod, and a full-size or slightly compact whistle.

No! Someone else put it best when they described it as "A back-up to a back-up, to a back-up, to a back-up." That's exaggerating just a bit though. You should have at least three different methods of starting a fire in your BOB. And a compact ferro rod & striker in your belt-carried back-up to your BOB. The Signal simply provides another option with an outdoor based multi-tool for wilderness survival or a bug out scenario. Also, for such a thin ferro rod, I like that it's supported by the plastic whistle housing. Rods that thin have a tendency to snap in half. The combo tool simply snaps into place. To remove it, carefully pull back on a skeleton latch, making sure it doesn't come flying out of the handle slab. The whistle is another issue. You simply MUST practice and experiment with blowing it to get it to consistently make noise. Otherwise it won't.

One method that works consistently for me is to hold it in between my thumb and fore-finger on each side where the plastic is most abundant. Place my lower lip into that lower curved portion that seems specifically designed for your lower lip, then bring my upper lip down onto the whistle and put my lips together to generate sound. The whistle is loud, but noticeably less so than a Fox 40 or other whistles specifically designed for use outdoors.

The other gimmicky thing is the litlle diamond dust impregnated sharpener with a yellow handle and 1-inch sharpening surface. It works! And it can sharpen serrations as well as straight edges. Also, unlike the diamond file on the Leatherman Wave, you can use the sharpener on the Signal to sharpen its main blade. The sharpener snaps onto place on the outside of one handle slab, and stays there. No horribly loose wobbling at all. You don't get the sense that it'll fall off and you'll lose it while using a different feature on the tool. In fact, that diamond dust surface feels really good when holding the tool in your hand and using the main blade. If Leatherman had made the handle of the sharpener black instead of yellow, it wouldn't be thought of as gimmicky.

Now with the "gimmicks" out of the way, The main blade is a modified sheep's-foot. With the tip rather thick along the spin. Half serrated, half plain, 420Hc. Making it easy to touch up in the field with the included sharpener or any sharpening stone. (Use the corners of a stone on the serrations.) You don't get a separate plain, and separate serrated blade. It's just another needed compromise. This tool has all the useful features for the outdoors and only a couple of traditional multi-tool ones. The serrations are excellent for making fuzz sticks for a fire or even making larger bits of tinder. For all other cutting chores, really wish Leatherman had stuck with a fully plain edge. The blade locks into the open position thanks to their excellent liner-lock system. It stays rigid without even so much as a thought of wobble. And, unlike Leatherman's Skeletool, the liner is not excessively exposed. Go ahead and bear down on the Signal's handles. I don't recommend trying that on a Skeletool. (While experimenting with one, I was able to consistently get its lock to fail by applying a stronger grip to the handles.)

The Signal's blade is one-hand opening, but don't expect Spyderco-like smoothness or gentleness on your thumb. (Don't even expect what you'd get on the main blade of a Leatherman Wave.) The blade-opening hole will bite into your thumb. Not a lot. Just a bit. But you'll tell right away that the opening was left rough. That's the only real negative against the main blade though.

The Saw is across from the blade. It's Leatherman's typical, excellent, mini saw. And, it locks open just as securely as the main blade.... when you can actually get a fingernail under its notch to open it. I'm sorry, but good gracious! Leatherman screwed up in a bone-headed manner here! You'd almost swear that no one tried out the saw during Beta testing. The notch is up front. And there's too much handle material all around it to get the saw out without more than a bit of effort. (If you're a female with strong fingernails, it'll be easier for you.) Simple solution.... You see the cut-out (hole) on the upper portion of the Leatherman Wave's serrated blade? They should have pretended the saw was a serrated blade and placed a hole up there. Easier to open, and now you can do it with one hand! The spine of the saw is what you use to strike the included ferro rod, or any ferro rod. A nice striker on the Signal, a nice back-up striker if you lose your main one.

The carabiner works as it's supposed to. The bottle-opener feature is on the inside of it, past the shackle. (One of those traditional multi-tool features mentioned above.) Honestly, here's an over-looked gimmick found on the carabiner.... The 1/4 Hex Head driver. Just no. No. It doesn't even use Leatherman's flat bits. Can you use it as a driver? Yes. Is it gonna be awkward as Hell? Oh yes. Honestly, I see it as a Hex Head shaped lanyard hole. The flat portion, reminiscent of the Leatherman MUT, is a solid pounding tool. Sorry, but I'm not calling it a "hammer." If a hammer slips, you're usually fine. If this slips while pounding a nail, you're going to reach for your FAK to treat the injured bottom of your hand. Can you pound tent stakes with it? Yes, but first get a soft camp towel to place over the stake before you start pounding with the Signal. Also, as someone with S.D. training, that solid bottom is going to be handy for pounding something else; if necessary. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

The shackle has a good amount of resistance. (At least the one on mine.) The tool is not too heavy that you can't hang it from a well-stitched, quality, pack. The tool is 7.5 ounces. Which isn't bad at all. A Leatherman Sidekick is 7 ounces, and a Leatherman Wave is 8.5. But I must say that the Signal just feels heavier in my hand than its specs. indicate. On the carabiner is another tiny, lock device that you can push or pull to lock the handles together, or unlock them.

This lock is needed since the handles do not close well on their own. They can flop open a bit. And, that might be intentional. For those who own one, the handles can be flipped almost fully open with one hand, nearly as well as a SOG multi-tool. Now that's impressive right there! Just the nature of SOG's multi-tools. But not Leatherman's. So the Signal can be opened one-handed (once the tiny lock is disengaged). Just before the Signal fully opens, you encounter quite a bit of resistance. But by then, you can just open your hand slightly, and use your fingers to compress the handles fully into the open position, exposing the pliers.

Before we get to the pliers, a quick mention regarding the clip. Thankfully it comes attached. Anytime you order a clip from Leatherman that doesn't normally come attached to a specific multi-tool of their's, you're gambling whether or not it'll actually work! The Leatherman Kick being the worst example of this. Many don't realize it was the official replacement for the now iconic Sideclip model. But you had to order the clip from Leatherman's official website if you wanted to clip the Kick to a pocket. Except, it doesn't work! I know. I ordered one. There is a limit as to how much you can tighten down the clip. Afterwards, the included bolt with the clip just spins in place and the clip wobbles side to side, completely and utterly useless. Thankfully when it was time to replace the Kick, Leatherman included clips on their two replacements right from the factory (the Sidekick, and Wingman models). When they do that, no issues of wobble! And none regarding the Signal's included clip.

Hope you like it, because the Signal does NOT come with any sort of sheath at all. Use the clip or the carabiner. The clip is nearly straight with a tiny dimple, and it's bright as Hell! Retention is weak due to the design of the clip. But at 7.5 ounces, the weight of the Signal and length of the clip keeps it from falling out of your pants pocket. You might want to consider removing the clip, and giving it a couple of coats of flat black spray paint because even Stevie Wonder could see the shine reflecting off of it. The latitude and Longitude numbers found just below the clip are the coordinates to Leatherman's factory in America. (A nice little touch.)

The pliers are the absolute best that you can currently get from Leatherman. They come with the replaceable 154CM wire/Hard wire cutters. Excellent if they ever get damaged and you need to replace them. Now, I wouldn't tackle a chain-link fence with a Signal. These wire cutters are not a replacement for a compact pair of bolt cutters which was discussed earlier in this topic. They'll effortless cut through chicken-wire and other thinner fence materials. Simply outstanding.

Let's get to the three folding tools on the inside of one of the handle slabs. You get Leatherman's flat bit holder. You get a medium flat driver with a flat Philip's driver on the other end. These work well. If you damage one of the driver's, hop onto Leatherman's site and buy a replacement double-headed bit. The bit holder will accommodate all the Leatherman flat bits. But there's no place on the Signal to store extra bits. Also, using bits is definitely not the Signal's strong suit. Just like the Leatherman Skeletool, you can't close the handles shut to use a driver. One arm (handle) is going to extend past the pliers with the other arm down and back. It's an awkward way to use the drivers. But it's a compromise so that the carabiner and its features could be placed on the tool.

By the way, the can-opener (otherwise very effective) will have to be used in the same way as the bit driver. Which brings us to the awl with the sewing eye.... Good news! This tool can be used with the handles closed and locked into place! (I guess someone at Leatherman realized a compromised-use awl was not a good idea.) Look closely, you'll see that a sliver of the carabiner on one side is cut off. Just a thin sliver. Forming a groove of sorts. The awl fits in a very slim channel away from the other two tools but very close to them. You'll miss it if you don't look carefully. In the extended position, the awl fits into that "groove" right next to the carabiner. You can then lock the handles and use the awl for making repairs to damaged tent, drilling, or punching a new hole in your leather belt from having missed more than a couple of meals. The awl works well enough. Though I've seen more effective designs than what Leatherman chose to go with. Thumbs up for including a sewing eye on the awl.

However, the lock mechanism used to keep these three tools from closing shut is not Leatherman's excellent liner-lock mechanism. It's their top-lock design, which is far from the best. You don't get horizontal wobble. But you do get vertical wobble. (An issue on other Leatherman tools with top-locking mechanisms.) On these three particular tools, it's not a safety issue. It's just annoting as Hell! Leatherman's less expensive tools that rely on a slip-joint to securely hold the tools open, works better! Significantly so! Yes, the tools can slam shut if you apply pressure in the wrong direction. But the non-locking models easily feel better built with the tools staying rigid in the open position.

I think I've pretty much covered everything. This tool has a couple of other disadvantages.

One, price. At $100 retail, this will turn off certain buyers. Yes, you are paying for the R&D that went into creating the Signal. You absolutely are. There is a feeling of quality to this tool. Except for the plastic parts and the tiny bit of wobble of the three tools mentioned above. But it can't compete with other Leathermans in this price-range. It comes close. But I can see this tool at around $75 or $80 at most. Not $100. And if you buy from a B&M shop, expect to pay more. I'd say, check Amazon for bargains. Might be a bit early to check Flea Bay, but I can see how some folks might have Buyer's remorse. Along with price, the ferro rod (and the attached whistle) will have to be replaced if you use it a couple of times. That's more money to Leatherman.

Two, It might be best to perhaps wait around for the Signal 2.0 model to come out. This was, overall, a good effort by Leatherman to make a dedicated outdoors multi-tool. But not a great effort. Just a few details that need to be fixed.

Three, on a different forum site I saw two guys discussing this tool. One of them owned it, and had gotten rid of the two yellow "gimmicks." The other guy was praising him for it. Honestly, if you plan to get rid of the yellow tools after buying a Signal.... You bought the wrong multi-tool. Those items are there for a reason.

To wrap up, yeah; I should have at least bought mine from Leatherman's official website and not paid the premium. Oh well, I knew what I was doing. Just realize if you pay retail for one, you're overpaying for it. But I still love mine! I'm glad I've got it. And ironically, it also makes a great full-sized multi-tool that can be EDCed! I've been doing it. It's nice having a full-sized multi-tool that doesn't require a sheath, or is missing items like the saw, awl, functional carabiner, etc.

If you can get past the price and the image others have of it being too gimmicky, it's a very good first effort by any company to make a non-urban multi-tool. Mine will find its way into my BOB or belt-carried back-up BOB. That is, if I can stop EDCing the darn thing.

Shot of one side of the Signal, with main blade and saw folded up. Overall construction is what you'd expect from a Leatherman tool. Very nice. Also, you can sort of see the "groove" for the awl on this side of the carabiner.

Flip side of the Signal. Check out that long, sleek, not-so-well-designed-clip.

Thickness of the Signal, with sharpener in place.

Signal in hand with knife in the open position.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
Ta for that massive review. I have had too many leather and rust.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You're Welcome. :)

Yeah, rust can be an issue on Leatherman tools. Especially older ones. They seem to have fixed that problem on the Sidekick and Wingman models. Hopefully won't be an issue on the Signal. But only time will tell....

pblanch

Enlightened
To be fair. I worked in the maritime industry when I had it. Salt water takes its toll on everything. I tend to only carry a fixed knife now, much easier to clean and no areas " you just can't get too".

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review, its an interesting tool.

I keep coming back to this thread- I never know what advice and tips are going to pop up!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, so here's my review of a certain little something.
The Leatherman Signal.
I think I've pretty much covered everything. .................

Monocrom, (Note to self - no "H") :)

Your review deserves a topic of its own. Otherwise, it could be lost within this thread.

Thanks!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's genuinely appreciated. :)

Yeah, CPF and this topic can sometimes be unpredictable. (Usually in a good way. ;))

Regarding the older Leatherman tools though, the company has made no bones about the rough cuts of stainless steel it uses. I think it makes for a stronger tool but leaves the steel more exposed to corrosion. In a marine or salt-water environment surface rust wouldn't be a surprising issue. But I've had older Leatherman's rust while just looking at them. (Okay, not THAT bad. But honestly, sadly, not that far off.) Let's just say I'm glad that certain Leatherman models are still available on the company's site for sale with black coated finishes.

Tune in tomorrow morning when I "clean up" this topic a bit. :thumbsup:
(No, seriously. Check back in a few hours.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, as you guys can see, normally moderators "clean things up." But I'll do it this time.... With a discussion on a Bug Out hygiene kit.

First off, yes; you need one. As normal, civilized men (more or less ;)), you can't just stink for three or four days (or longer in a row). Even if it doesn't bother you, you might be traveling with others. It's going to bother them. Your girlfriend or wife is not going to want to deal with you if you reek! Bugging out is already an extremely stressful situation. You're basically refugees fleeing a natural or man-made disaster. Doesn't have to be Armageddon. It could be localized. People cope with the reality of being refugees in different ways. Many simply put it out of their minds, and just deal with whatever task is immediately in front of them.

"Okay, I need to concentrate on this map and help my husband navigate while he drives."

"I need to help him set up the tent."

"I need to stand guard with the AR-7 while the kids go out and pee."

"I need to......"

The last thing she needs is to take a whiff of you after a couple of days and have it instantly hit her that she's fleeing her home like a refugee and now the two of you (and her children) smell like refugees.

(And this is the part where I mention that my parents, when I was about 4 years-old, got kicked out of the Soviet Union and had to flee as refugees. Although eventually ending up in Rome where dad found work and we lived in a small apartment before soon coming to America. That initial journey with pretty much just the clothes on our backs was not an easy one. While I don't remember it, mom sure does.... She also remembers the smell. It's just what happens to you when you become a refugee. Most don't pack a hygiene kit with them. Last thing they think about. It's not to imply that refugees are dirty, smelly people worthy only of contempt. Glad we cleared that up.)

Realistically, guess whose going to be the target of her resentment. Even worse if you're traveling with teenagers. And it's your teen daughter or son who get the whiff.... You'll start to wonder if they actually mean it this time when they say they hate you.

It's absolutely a psychological thing. But a damaged or shattered psyche is a very real possibility during the sheer stress of being forced to bug out. Often times, even in our day-to-day lives, something like a hot shower can lift up our spirits after sweating for hours at any activity. Human-beings.... we're just not logical creatures who are never influenced by their emotions. (Regardless of gender.) So, the psychological aspect is one reason to have a hygiene kit in your BOB. And, to make sure each member of your group has one. The items are going to be universal. But women are going to need to include pads or tampons (several of them) along with the same items the men have in their hygiene kit.

Another aspect is obvious. It's not just the psychological aspect of staying clean. Staying clean is important in and of itself. Now to clarify, water is too important to waste liters of it washing up. Forget about those various camp showers in huge heavy-duty bags with shower-heads attached that you hang from a tree. Also, while I own the much smaller Pocket Shower in the blue and black case, you won't find it in my BOB. Ten liters of water for right around 5 minutes of shower use. Plus, to warm up the water, you fill up the pocket shower and let it sit exposed to direct sunlight. That takes hours. Perfect for a camping trip where space is a bit of an issue. Terrible while bugging out.

You shouldn't be spending hours upon hours at a make-do-for-now camp site. You should be traveling to your BOL. If your vehicle got car-jacked or you hit a natural or man-made roadblock that stopped you from traveling further in your BOV, either you're on foot or perhaps on a cross country motorbike or even a bicycle. You might be with or without a deer-cart, or some sort of push-cart. Point is, you can't sleep in your BOV; and need to make camp. Camp is for a very quick, heated meal and grabbing a handful of hours of sleep.

And, if you're a bit ripe, a very quick "shower." (Using that term very loosely here.) If there is a large water source near your camp, okay; take the motel/hotel-sized bar of soap out of your kit and wash up. Don't worry, those little bars will easily last you more than three days even if you "shower" once a day. You should absolutely have a camp towel, even a compact one, in your BOB already. Go ahead and brush your teeth (filter, boil, or purify the water first that's going in your mouth) with the compact Travel-size tube or single-use packet of toothpaste and the Travel-size toothbrush in your hygiene kit. If you're using the thin toothpaste packets, carry three or four to last you until you get to your BOL. (Not sure if all the major brands make those packets. I know Colgate definitely does.)

Even when bugging out, it may be advantageous to look presentable. I know of one Survival expert who keeps a collared shirt in his BOB as part of his extra clothing. A bug out scenario may indeed be a localized one. Get far enough away from the location, and you WILL encounter people who are not affected by it. To them, it's just sunny Tuesday. Now imagine how they're going to react if you come stumbling out of the woods.... dirty, smelly, face full of stubble, maybe you slipped and fell into a mud puddle a few hours ago without packing a little hygiene kit.

Realistically, whose going to stop and talk to the crazy-looking, disheveled, homeless man trying to walk up to them to get their attention? Would you stick around and chat with him if you were outside enjoying the sunny Tuesday? Or, would you stop and chat with the clean cut man in the collared shirt and combed hair who simply wants to ask you where he can get a hot meal and perhaps a place to stay for the night. Sure, you'd give him directions to the motel on the outskirts of town. You'd tell him to stop by Joe's Diner for a burger. Hell, you'd even tell him to watch out for the crazy-looking smelly dude who wandered out of the woods awhile back. (Yes, a comb is another item in the hygiene kit [unless you're bald or very recently shaved your head.])

There's that psychology again, rearing it's ugly head. Not buying it? When I was growing up, I'll never forget a recent (back then) news story that one of my teachers told us about. Seems that a skin-head chapter in a state where they weren't too popular, came up with a way to get public opinion on their side. They picked the most articulate young men in their chapter. Had them grow out their hair, hide their tattoos, and completely change their clothing to what a young preppie would wear. If they had facial hair, they were told to shave it off. They then went house-to-house, speaking with residents in a calm and polite manner about the growing crime rate in the area.... and whom they felt was responsible. And for a good long while, until someone blew the whistle on their scheme, it was working! Who wouldn't believe the nice, clean cut, well-spoken young man at their door. Why he looks like the young man who volunteers at the soup kitchen. Or the young man who helped grand-ma cross the street.

People will respond to your looks. Absolutely! They respond to certain looks. Imagine walking down the aisle and seeing a big burly man walking towards you.... covered in blood! Oh well, you're in a supermarket. He's obviously just the butcher. No need to freak out or panic. But do you know the man behind the "uniform?" No, no you don't. But based on the setting and the apron, and the white clothes; you just instinctively NOT panic. Put the same guy walking towards you down an alley outside and it's a very different story now, isn't it.

You're more likely to bug out due to a localized event than a national disaster. If you can't get to your BOL but you get far enough away, you'll likely need to interact with other people. They won't kill you for your bottle of water because they're only experiencing a sunny Tuesday. Civilization is still in tact. But you'll need to present a proper "civilized" clean cut image of a normal man to get a bit of help. Just the way it is.

Getting back to the mud puddle and your clumsiness, there's another reason to have a hygiene kit. You might be alone, you might not mind the stink you're giving off, but falling and getting dirty is a real concern. Got to get clean. You might be hurt. Cut on your hands or skin. Wash it properly with some of your water and soap. Put a bit of antibacterial ointment on it, slap a Band-Aid on it. Use that soap to keep out infection. Last thing you need while bugging out.

With the reasons now fully covered, here's a list of the items. With the exception of the compact toilet paper roll made specifically for use in the great outdoors, all of the items of the Men's kit will fit in a typical clear plastic sandwich baggie:

1 - Compact comb (Buy at any barber shop).
2 - Compact roll of T.P. (Any place that sells camping or hiking gear).
3 - Bandana (for use as ultra compact towel).
4 - Very compact bar of soap (from any hotel or motel).
5 - Travel-size tube of toothpaste or thin single-use packets of paste.
6 - Travel-size toothbrush.
7 - small pack of cotton swabs.
8 - Spool of dental floss.
9 - Two Wet-Ones individually wrapped Travel wipes.
10- A quality disposable razor.

(Again, pads or tampons for women. Several of them. A quart freezer bag would work better for them. Also, these can be used as a substitute for trauma pads in a first-aid scenario. And the tampons are an excellent source of cotton tinder.)

The dental floss is very useful for other things as well. Waxed floss is thin cordage. Tough to break, it's great for constructing a lean-to or other improvised shelter if necessary. Makes great improvised fishing line. You can sew with it to repair a rip in your tent.

The wipes are needed in case there is no available abundant supply of water near your camp. Use one packet on your face, neck, hands and feet. The other one on your crotch and backside. (For those of you who have seen the film "The Book of Eli," yup; that's where the idea for this improvised shower comes from.)

With regards to the razor, you use the bar of soap instead of shaving cream. Also, go with a disposable that won't tear up your face. You don't want to look like the latest victim of a Slasher film. For me, that means Schick or Gillette. Other brands make multi-bladed razors with what they claim are lubrication strips. Yeah.... I've found the other razor makers to be dirty, dirty liars!

One last note: I seriously recommend NOT using any type of container or packet, even small ones, of liquid soap or body-wash. If your hygiene bag should tear open in your BOB, and you've already opened up the bar of soap hours ago; nothing will happen to any of the other items in your BOB. A solid, dry, bar of soap is just going to fall to the bottom of your pack. Liquid soap is a very different story. As far as I know, nothing will get rid of liquid soap that has come into contact with an item, except to use plenty of precious water to rinse the soap off of the item. Not good.

Stay clean, stay healthy, and be sure to blend in with the "Normies" so they think you're one of them.

Edit:
Sorry guys, just a quick correction regarding the improvised shower with the Wet-Ones and other types of thicker wipes. Use the first one on your arm pits before finishing up on your feet.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Happy to help. Once again, price and its somewhat "gimmicky" image are the biggest negatives with the Signal. If you can get past those, the other issues I found with it are either minor or liveable at worst,

Have to say, I did seriously consider the Raptor rescue tool at first. Personally, it wasn't right for me. Much more expensive than common trauma shears, without a huge increase in added functions. Yes, you do have the oxygen wrench feature. But unless you're bugging out with someone who needs a tank, it's never going to be used. And the other couple of features on it..... Big thing for me was two reasons not to get it.

One is Leatherman's Z-REX. Bit obscure but you can find it on Leatherman's official site. Solid, thin and less expensive, You get a strap cutter, oxygen wrench feature, and a glass breaker. Comes with a decent nylon sheath that is also very thin. Combined with a more traditional set of trauma shears, You get Raptor capability for much less money.

Second reason is a bigger one. Trauma shears are one-incident use items for a good reason..... You're likely to get blood on them while helping a victim. The fact that the Raptor folds is a big disadvantage in cleaning them. They'll look clean, but there's going to be tiny particles trapped in it. With traditional shears, use them, toss them away, no worries about possibly infecting one accident victim with Hepatitis or AIDS from an earlier victim. It's just odd that Leatherman claims they made the Raptor specifically for First Responders.

If you simply want a good set of trauma shears to toss in the Trauma Kit in your BOB, the Raptor is going to be fine for treating yourself or a family member who is otherwise healthy. Just as with the Signal, price will be the biggest issue. I really prefer the combination of the Z-REX and a traditional set of trauma shears. Both are nice and flat. Flat is always ideal in a BOB.

Last edited: