The most powerful Maglite mods list

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MOSFET I like in place of the 1324 or 2804 if voltage won't exceed 30V is the IRLR7843. I'm using it in testing my soft starter and am using it as a MOSFET switch in My 2C ROP-Hi.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Charging graphs for A123 and E-Moli . . . FMA-6S Charger

20 Minutes A123 @ 11A

71 Minutes E-Moli @ 3A

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pete looking over your results again. Liking that flat discharge of A123 and Emoli.

OK !
6x A123 - IRC65

Mag Switch - 20.9V Open Circuit
19.10VBulb @ 6.44A

FET Switch and TailFix - 19.97V Open Circuit
19.28VBulb @ 7.10A

With slightly more used cells still get higher VBulb and higher Amps.

6x A123 - 64458

0 Min . . . . 21.1V O/C . 19.5VBulb @ 11.6A (226W)
3.5 Min . . .20.0V O/C . 18.6VBulb @ 10.4A (193W)
7.0 Min . . .19.7V O/C . 18.3VBulb @ 10.2A (187W)
10.5 Min . . 18.9V O/C . 17.3VBulb @ 9.6A (166W)
~11.5 Min cutoff @ 15V
Slow dimming and drop -off.
Recharge 2.8Ah in 22min

5x E-Moli - 64458

0 Min . . . . 20.5V O/C . 18.7VBulb @ 10.6A (198W)
3.5 Min . . .19.7V O/C . 17.9VBulb @ 9.8A (175W)
7.0 Min . . .19.3V O/C . 17.6VBulb @ 9.6A (169W)
10.5 Min . . 18.9V O/C . 17.3VBulb @ 9.6A (166W)
13.3 Min . . 17.5V O/C . 15.0VBulb @ 8.6A (129W)
~13.3 Min cutoff @ 15V
Very flat middle section !
Precipitous - Almost vertical drop-off at the end - very rapid dimming to possible cell damage ?

Interesting !

Pete

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a short run last night on 64655 24v. Only other time have used this bulb was on the bench so had an idea instan-flash wouldn't happen with 24.5vbat. 6xemoli rested cells. 22.2vbulb at the pins giving some time to settle. These cells are separate, thinking if soldered together will have higher vbulb.

Woo, is that thing a flood monster even with fm 2" deep reflector.

Raoul was kind enough to donate couple of 64657 thanks James. Plan to test today for flash point and light up the foot ball field with it tonight on 6xemoli.

jim

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
When you say rested, how much do your emoli drop.

I forgot to mention the other night ran 64458 on 6 emoli. All around 3.78V; the resting "pack" so to speak read 22.48V.....

and I got 20.4V on the pins :devil:

The lamp realy shone there..........

But I forgot that the cells were realy depleated so the light soon faded of in my exitement.

64458 is great with 5 fresh emoli. no way getting 20.4V to the pins...

With 6 fresh will have to find a way to harness the 25.2V start up potential. I'm sure that would drop, and wouldent find its way to the pins, but i'm sure it will flash the 458 but not for a little while.

Had planned to fire up the 655 and 657 on 5 6 emoli and see what V made it to the pins, and then work out what I need to hook up 7 emoli together.

No worries on the 64657's, my pleasure for all the help you have been :) OH you dont have to :poof: one of them instantly BTW. Might aswelll clock up a few miles on it first. I'd be interested to see how the 657 likes the overdrive, as it has between 200~300 hours verses the ~50 I think the 64655 has, but either way Its going to be a very long mag for 7 emoli :D

Oh BTW got 5 emoli straight into my 7C the other night, no modding needed, Not sure why I couldn't before. Still it is so nice with 5 in ... a nice platform for the 458 and the other lamps Pete that has already tried on 5 emoli. I will have to get round to digging out the IRC's

Now my 6D will become my 6 and 7 emoli platform for the moment.

458 thows so so well with FM 3" reflector.

Just reading back to your 5 emoli on the 458 post Jim, and maybee the NTC would help out with the 6 emoli on the 458

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rested is 24.5vbat, hot charged 6x4.2v=25.2v which these did charge up around there. Then next day measured 24.5v

vbulb 22.2 is misleading these cells did not sag 2.3v underload. IIRC Pete got much less difference vbat-vbulb.

2.3v difference is in part from individual cells as opposed to soldered stick.

Woo 20.4vbulb with 458, bet you are ginning. that is around 11,000 lumen your in LarryK land. Why not retake with fresh cells? 0.6v difference vbat-vbulb I have in serval of my mods. You are not using loose cells?

25.2vbat at start up believe would flash 458 no matter how soft started. 20.5vbulb or so would be my target. With NTC and 6 E's think the vbulb <20 but I'll check it out now have running 6 E mod.

457 ran some last night, stuck my head out the front and turned it on once.

Woo 5 E's in 7C i am green. do you have 5 A123? 18v hot charged, 16.5vbat nominal, doubt would sag much below that and with 64623 would have a white color temp, over 6,000 lumen or more.

cheer jim

When you say rested, how much do your emoli drop.

I forgot to mention the other night ran 64458 on 6 emoli. All around 3.78V; the resting "pack" so to speak read 22.48V.....

and I got 20.4V on the pins :devil:

The lamp realy shone there..........

But I forgot that the cells were realy depleated so the light soon faded of in my exitement.

64458 is great with 5 fresh emoli. no way getting 20.4V to the pins...

With 6 fresh will have to find a way to harness the 25.2V start up potential. I'm sure that would drop, and wouldent find its way to the pins, but i'm sure it will flash the 458 but not for a little while.

Had planned to fire up the 655 and 657 on 5 6 emoli and see what V made it to the pins, and then work out what I need to hook up 7 emoli together.

No worries on the 64657's, my pleasure for all the help you have been :) OH you dont have to :poof: one of them instantly BTW. Might aswelll clock up a few miles on it first. I'd be interested to see how the 657 likes the overdrive, as it has between 200~300 hours verses the ~50 I think the 64655 has, but either way Its going to be a very long mag for 7 emoli :D

Oh BTW got 5 emoli straight into my 7C the other night, no modding needed, Not sure why I couldn't before. Still it is so nice with 5 in ... a nice platform for the 458 and the other lamps Pete that has already tried on 5 emoli. I will have to get round to digging out the IRC's

Just reading back to your 5 emoli on the 458 post Jim, and maybee the NTC would help out with the 6 emoli on the 458

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Here is one I'd add.

G4 pin 35w 6v overdriven to 14.2v >8,000 lumens

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180177

I'm really trying to bring some rigor into claims like this, and hated to see this claim made this way.

Maybe I'll pick up a 6V 35W bulb at my local hardware store and make a claim that it is a 20,000 Lumen bulb! Unless there is REAL WORLD verification of lumens, this is just going to confuse people. On a preliminary basis, count me as a skeptic. :eek:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, funny you use the same Hot Rater in another thread and here you have doubts.

Your going to loose your creditability either way.

jim

I'm really trying to bring some rigor into claims like this, and hated to see this claim made this way.

Maybe I'll pick up a 6V 35W bulb at my local hardware store and make a claim that it is a 20,000 Lumen bulb! Unless there is REAL WORLD verification of lumens, this is just going to confuse people. On a preliminary basis, count me as a skeptic. :eek:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

Writing in multible threads about conversations with anyone doesn't lead creditablity.

People have made big $ off of obscure bulbs, bulbs requiring drivers, and cry wolf when a $3.50 bulb is offered that might require a $1 NTC at most.
And the source of the bulb is given that anyone might try.

Lux do you think you might be just a little too ready to dismiss the prosibility? Really, you called AWR and present that as your bases of suspicion of my work?

JJ, read my post #13 in your other thread that you started. No point in double posting....and don't take any of my comments personally. I'm just as guilty at wanting the Hotrater to be accurate...but I had no idea until this week how meaningless it has always been. AWR confirms this in conversations with me.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
JJ. Chill out my friend. We are not going to convince each other tonight. Let's let it rest for now. Just please stop assuming any of this has something to do with making $$$ off of bulbs or drivers. For me it has to do with bringing some science into bulb performance.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

I am not trying to convince you of anything. If you want to bring science into this then don't rashly post your doubts. That is actually what most do in field, then cast your opinion. Such a off the cuff dismissal leads one to question how are you qualified to do so?

jim

JJ. Chill out my friend. We are not going to convince each other tonight. Let's let it rest for now. Just please stop assuming any of this has something to do with making $$$ off of bulbs or drivers. For me it has to do with bringing some science into bulb performance.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took 657 with 6 emolis and FM deep 2" reflector for a ride of about 5 min continous run. Great light lit up both sides of road and then some.

Bubbled up another reflector.

Got too hot to hold down to the switch, after I turned it off. Before that point ceramic insulation working rather well.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
So is the 657 too powerfull?

When you say bubbled up, what reflector were you using? FM 2" deep reflector, sounds expensive :oops:

Where did you have the insulation placed?

Did you have one of your funky lenses on it aswell?

I'm guessing a 5 min continuous run is out of the question with these high Watt lamps, mind you I haven't run anything higher than a 64623 for ~ 10 mins in the same light, and that was hot as hell, but I was walking outside at the time.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I am a equal oppertunity destoryer. Carley and FM one each. This one was a 2" deep.

With the 2" deep there is less room between reflector and head, only space is around kiu and below. With the Carley had max allowed between reflector and head. In fact, some advised not to pak the insulation tightly but have loosely.

No standard lens as still awaiting lens order arrival.
64623 and all 100w bulbs get hot, have run 90w 64458 over 5min, 56580 at 10.2v initally for 15 or more think 20min continous which got hot down to the tailcap and reflector survived.

Have heard the current vacuum metalizing coating which this reflector had is standard. Other have tried hard chrome and different things which sounds like didn't work.

Don't know if pure silver would be a step up but is out of my range.

657 is not too powerful. Now this maybe.

200622504830mvc024srk8.jpg

So is the 657 too powerfull?

When you say bubbled up, what reflector were you using? FM 2" deep reflector, sounds expensive :oops:

Where did you have the insulation placed?

Did you have one of your funky lenses on it aswell?

I'm guessing a 5 min continuous run is out of the question with these high Watt lamps, mind you I haven't run anything higher than a 64623 for ~ 10 mins in the same light, and that was hot as hell, but I was walking outside at the time.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Yes I am a equal oppertunity destoryer. Carley and FM one each. This one was a 2" deep.

:laughing::crackup::rock:

I have often wondered if instead of putting insulation around the reflector, put thermal paste intead, and sealing it buy putting a disk on the bottom of the reflector.

If the disk was threaded it could fit on the cammed (removed) type reflectors, and the outer edges of the disk touching the bell of the light.

then thermal paste could be squeesed in the void.

down sides would be pottentialy very messy, the grease may thermaly expand? ( doesnt in the thermo wells I use at work thinking about it now, if some air is left in.

Plus's would be wicking heat away from the lamp and reflector.

I think that ceramic insulation under the socket, and under the kiu heat sink, and between the switch and top of the cells is still a good Idea.

Still I suppose a pourpose built D reflector that filled the void of the D bell, with a little layer of thermal paste would be better.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Or, Can anybody think of something firmer to squeese, spread or paste into the void of the back of the reflector, and the head, to secure the reflector, and head, and provide best thermal path to the outside world.

And put a barrier of insulation under that to stop the spread to the cells, a little

I was thinking setting something like lead, but would then not heat up itself and go molten in the head, which would be a scary situation to creat shorts and worse?

I could cope with loosing the ability to remove the reflector from the head, and have ity fixed in place I'd just get a few more heads spare and reflectors if it was essential.

Latest posts