The most powerful Maglite mods list

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pete,

I have an emoli "stuck" in an extender. Is no problem can recharge it with clamp on the pos and on neg with a magnet on the clamp. The other 2 Emoli I use with it are single cells as well. Whatever the extra effort it's worth it to me since 4C 100w light I use and like.

jim

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,

emoli on left is "stuck" as is A123 on right. A123 is so far down the first extender the tailcap needed a second extender which could screw into it since the tailcap could not. With second extender tailcap easily screws on. Both recharge without problem using alligator clips.
secrets reveiled.

dsc00442kp6.jpg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Another very workable solution for those interested in gaining a bit more room is to use a KD Brake Hone (model 265) (in an ordinary drill) which I have used to grind away enough inside aluminum in a 3D to allow 3 wide "A" cells, or 4 wide AA cells...and it does the same on a C Mag and/or tailcap extender to get a margin of room for A123 or Emoli cells.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
pic below on left is result of using brake hone. My experience is AW C cell extenders do not have enough material to hone without collapsing. But all metal will expand given proper technique.

dsc00443qi4.jpg

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
the part that is missing is the part with ID less than the OD of A123 or Emoli previously mentioned. That's the part which screws into the tailcap end.

pic below on left is result of using brake hone. My experience is AW C cell extenders do not have enough material to hone without collapsing. But all metal will expand given proper technique.

dsc00443qi4.jpg

Timaxe

Newly Enlightened
If I'm looking at this right, isn't it possible to simply remove the insulation from the bottom part of the bottom cell? That would give you some extra room, and since it is the bottom cell it can't short against the walls because it is already connected to them via the spring at the bottom in the first place. So there is no potential difference between it and the walls anyways since they're already directly connected.

Of course you don't want the other cells to short against the tube (because there is a potential difference there, which is bad), but if you use the extender as the tailcap (ie, put it on last) with a cell stuck in there without insulation on the bottom part it might *just* fit.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timaxe, your correct could remove the kapton tape, it's 1mm thick. It's not clear in the photo but the cell is oriented with neg - contact down making a neg ground conection. I like to pos groung my mods but didn't this one.

If that bit of kapton tape is off then on the neg end of that A123 cell the edge of the casing is exposed and it is pos. So it can become really interesting if the tailcap spring comes into contact with both neg and pos completing the circuit.

The cell will dump 70A before you can unscrew the tailcap. The bottom of the mag your holding onto will become so hot there is no way to describe it except to say the tailcap spring is literally melt off before you can get to it.

If I'm looking at this right, isn't it possible to simply remove the insulation from the bottom part of the bottom cell? That would give you some extra room, and since it is the bottom cell it can't short against the walls because it is already connected to them via the spring at the bottom in the first place. So there is no potential difference between it and the walls anyways since they're already directly connected.

Of course you don't want the other cells to short against the tube (because there is a potential difference there, which is bad), but if you use the extender as the tailcap (ie, put it on last) with a cell stuck in there without insulation on the bottom part it might *just* fit.