The most powerful Maglite mods list

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Here a group shot. The DeathBlaster is not a unique looking Maglite, as it is a 3D tri-bored FM Maglite that his new FM3H-2 matches beautifully. However I can turn on this Osram 64458s 90W bulb with 19.2V from 16 2/3A Elite 1500 cells hot off the charger at over 23V !!!

I would estimate that it is easily TWICE as bright as the Mac Torch and probably also the MaxBlaster. If you look at the bulb, you see it has a nice vertical axial filament (vs. the transverse 64623 100W bulb) which gives it an incredible hotspot and very useful throw.

From left to right: DeathBlaster, FM 3D Mag85, FM 2.5-D 1500L Carley 43W, Mad MaxaBeam's MaxBlaster with 64623 & 15.6V, Mac's Torch also with 64623 14.4V

Blasters.jpg

64458.jpg

Action

Enlightened
Hmmm, I wonder if this bulb would tolerate 24V? I've got a 4D tri-bore with a 24V MadMaxabeam battery pack waiting for a 24V hotdriver. I wonder how this bulb overdriven would compare directly to the 24V 250W bulb at its rating.

Thanks for the pics Lux, any chance of some beamshots?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'll get some beamshots soon. It's hard to figure how this 90W can take such high voltage. You can try it with your 24V setup.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome tread! but what is it doing in the custom BST? If you guys are selling, I will take LL's red beauty.

AlexGT

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL....there was never anything for sale in this thread. I'll ask a moderator if they would mind moving it to Incand section. I'm not selling my red beauty, even though I have two of them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
JimmyM said:
AWRs hotrater says it beats it on lumens.

Who has that one 250W that Mac made? Eric or someone? I bet they are ignoring these last posts. I'm gonna have to check it but I think this DeathBlaster is brighter than my Barn Burner.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
BTW, Mad Maxabeam said that JimmyM deserves all the credit for finding and testing this wonderful DeathBlaster 90W bulb. I'm still amazed that it apparently outperforms a 250W rated 64655 24V Osram bulb.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recognition. I was comparing the published lumen data from the 64655 (24V/250W) to the 64458 (12V90W) using AWRs hotrater. The key is the life of the bulb. The 458 is a 4000 hour bulb, thus it can be overdriven a LOT. If you can find a 1000+ hour 250W 24V bulb, you can overdrive it well beyond 250W. The lower hour bulbs can be overdriven less. I just spent a while looking for very long life bulb.

LuxLuthor said:
BTW, Mad Maxabeam said that JimmyM deserves all the credit for finding and testing this wonderful DeathBlaster 90W bulb. I'm still amazed that it apparently outperforms a 250W rated 64655 24V Osram bulb.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
It sure as hell isnt going to last 4000 hours anymore :D
( I know you all know that BTW)

I'm definatley looking forward to hitting this bad boy with 21V on startup for one minute, and a steady decline straight fall average of 19V to 17.5V for the 15 miute runtime it should get me.

Just need to get the rest of the parts.
This is a Hot Lamp :)

Cheers Guys

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Who has that one 250W that Mac made? Eric or someone? I bet they are ignoring these last posts. I'm gonna have to check it but I think this DeathBlaster is brighter than my Barn Burner.

Do you enjoy baiting other members, Lux? Is it me you'd like to spar with, or perhaps Mac who made the 250W? Sorry, not taking your bait. :laughing: Frankly, I rather think you are a nasty little troll, and not worth the time.

Congrats on overdriving a bulb and making a bright light! Wow, what a first! :drool:

Lux, I suggest you learn how to treat others better, and chill out with your baiting posts. You are a very big reason why I just don't care to walk these halls much anymore. :sigh:

If you'd like a good suggestion on what to do with that big light, drop me a PM. :mad:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
EricMack said:
Do you enjoy baiting other members, Lux? Is it me you'd like to spar with, or perhaps Mac who made the 250W? Sorry, not taking your bait. :laughing: Frankly, I rather think you are a nasty little troll, and not worth the time.

Congrats on overdriving a bulb and making a bright light! Wow, what a first! :drool:

Lux, I suggest you learn how to treat others better, and chill out with your baiting posts. You are a very big reason why I just don't care to walk these halls much anymore. :sigh:

If you'd like a good suggestion on what to do with that big light, drop me a PM. :mad:

Dude. That's rough. Maybe text is a poor conveyor of "tone". But this sounds scathing. I'm sure Lux didn't mean to demean you.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Have bench test resently and post results, probable in wrong thread, of the 64458-S(edited with correct bulb) and some others here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162190

When I get more 64655's in will change methodology to measure volts at the pins, these where tested with DMM piggybacked into leads off of the bench supply.

64458-S liked overdirve but the two I tested flashed just over 22.5v.

Thanks to Jimmy for research and developement of this great bulb.

Jim

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Eric, I wholeheartedly apologize. In no way did I mean my teasing in a mean spirited way. I bugged Mac more than you know trying to get him to make one more of those lights for me as praise for how beautiful and great they are.

I looked at this other bulb and 3D length (I prefer a shorter light) as a compromise down...but only recently heard from Jimmy about AWR Excel spreadsheet rating thing...which I never heard about....and honestly had a hard time being able to consider this lowly 90W bulb could be anywhere close to your light.

I was more really happy that I got this other light from Mad Maxabeam. I didn't even make it or mod it....and it surely does not look anywhere close to that chrome beauty you got from Mac.

You took my kidding totally the wrong way...but I honestly didn't mean anything...except there is now a way to get a light that MAY perform like yours since Mac very clearly said he is NEVER making another one.

Again, I have always enjoyed your posts, and meant no harm.

RickB

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
2) Got A new #2 BLOW YOU AWAY "DeathBlaster" today. Uses 16 x 2/3A NiMH cells in a 3D light charged to 22V off the charger with a 90W Osram 64458-S

Lux,

How are those 16 2/3A cells arranged? In a holder? Custom-built pack? It happens that I have a FM 3D Mag, quad-bored with a 12AA holder, as well as a matching FM 3H2 head. I'd love to build up a monster like this. It would be fun to see something brighter than my new USL...

Also, anything special with the switch? Just the bi-pin conversion or something more "robust"?

Finally, any idea of the amp draw and "runtime"?

Thanks for any info!

-Rick

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Eric, thanks for your PM and note here.

RickB, the 16 cells are in a tri-stack arrangement of 3x6 cells, similar to the pictures I showed of the MaxBlaster/Torch battery packs, but with POS/NEG wires coming out the back of this battery pack and attached to a small Dean's plug that in turn attaches to the tail cap FM type charging plug...with the black NEG wire having the effect of connecting to the aluminum body as ground since the charging plug is tightened onto the tailcap hole.

Apparently two of the 18 cells are dummy slug cells, but they are visible under the shrink wrap. I asked Mad Maxabeam about this very question, and will let you know. He also said that he is not going to be making any more lights...so it might be good for others to see more about how these are made.

I did not take out the KIU switch, but I do see a wire soldered to the center POS battery terminal contact spring inside the tube (on bottom of plastic switch...so I can assume that wire is going up into switch for better current flow.

I have some of the shrink wrap coming that will fit these battery packs, so maybe I'll remove it and take pictures since Mad Max is not making more of them for the benefit of others.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick,

Yeah, I'd like to mod one of these as well. I ran the 64658 with a Kiu socket in 3" FM reflector on the bench for 3-5 min. and nothing melted.

Ohhh, on one run with DMM leads to the pins the plastic cover over the alligator melted. Paper ignited instantly when brought to the rim!!!

The rim of the reflector is coated with glow paint mixed with extra glow power and that
is the brightest I have ever seen that stuff. In day light it looked unbelivable.

Have bench tested/overdriven to flash point some 64658's as mentioned in above link. At 22.5v no flash and amps draw of 12ish.

Since powered up with bench supply and not measured at start up with batt. pak can draw some conclusions by comparision to know values of simiular type.

That would be 64625 at 12.65v (hot rater table) pulls 8.58amps, at start up other members have mentioned draws upwards of 30amp peak.

So, the 64658 probable would be drawing more amps than the 64625.

Solution, stock mag switch to turn on a MOSFET. The mag switch would only have a few amps to deal with and the MOSFET deals with the bulb.

Jim
RickB said:
Lux,

How are those 16 2/3A cells arranged? In a holder? Custom-built pack? It happens that I have a FM 3D Mag, quad-bored with a 12AA holder, as well as a matching FM 3H2 head. I'd love to build up a monster like this. It would be fun to see something brighter than my new USL...

Also, anything special with the switch? Just the bi-pin conversion or something more "robust"?

Finally, any idea of the amp draw and "runtime"?

Thanks for any info!

-Rick

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jimjones3630 said:
Rick,

Solution, stock mag switch to turn on a MOSFET. The mag switch would only have a few amps to deal with and the MOSFET deals with the bulb.

Jim
I think you meant 64458 not 64658. Correct?
Anyway. The MOSFET modded switch you mentioned is exactly the solution I have (and you are) building. The "Problem" with a MOSFET during startup is it's super low resistance. The startup current spike will be even higher.
That's why I think that a PWM softstarter would be good. It could ease up on 22V over 500mS. That long of a soft-start would fry a Hotdriver. A PWM could handle it. I was thinking of something nice and simple. An LM556 for the PWM controller that drives a 30V rated MOSFET and the voltage would ramp up based on an RC charge curve that controls the pulse width. I think a 1kHz would be plenty.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM said:
I think you meant 64458 not 64658. Correct?
Anyway. The MOSFET modded switch you mentioned is exactly the solution I have (and you are) building. The "Problem" with a MOSFET during startup is it's super low resistance. The startup current spike will be even higher.
That's why I think that a PWM softstarter would be good. It could ease up on 22V over 500mS. That long of a soft-start would fry a Hotdriver. A PWM could handle it. I was thinking of something nice and simple. An LM556 for the PWM controller that drives a 30V rated MOSFET and the voltage would ramp up based on an RC charge curve that controls the pulse width. I think a 1kHz would be plenty.

Thanks Jimmy for noticing, yes 64458 is the one. I've tested too many of late.

Regarding start up, I know why you picked a particular Mosfet based on low v threashold. Have you considered a more robust albeit with higher v threashold like

http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets2/8/0i9swzj4af7rouwjs9o64lx1egyy.pdf

I think this one has higher amp ability. What do you think?

What do you think about using a smaller wire quage from the Kiu, like 20g to limit inital amp surge and increase inital resistance?

Jim