The official PKDL thread

pk

Photon King
Last edited:

pk

Photon King
Re: Paul Kim's PK-PR1

Wait a minute. In the last photo above it looks like it tail stands. I just watch a YouTube clip show of it with a profile shot that clearly illustrates otherwise.
There are two different boots, one more flat like above, or which will it be?
Sorry, PR1 do not tail stand.
Please reference latest final Spec sheet.
http://pkdesignlab.com/Spec/PK-PR1 spec.pdf

Cheers
pk

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Woohoo!!

One on the way. Yay!

Ima park it next to...

This...
To show just how far we've come in 100 years.

Folks, the Amazon link has it 95¢ less and shipping is $2 less.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazon US will not ship the light to the UK- anyone know of an international seller?

Sorry for late reply. Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBABP9M/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182153063090?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

International sales can be done thru Supreme Co. in Hong Kong.
[email protected]

Thanks for your interest.
pk

Also, from the eBay link that PK posted above:

Item location: Medford, Massachusetts, United States

Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Indonesia, Taiwan, South Africa, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Russian Federation, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Turkey, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica

pk

Photon King

Really?

Nah, nothing innovate here...
bykfixer, Thank you very much for your informative explanation and much appreciated. (you did my job for me)
Many peoples are not familiar with PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) and they think Hard Anodizing is the best coating for aluminum. Then again, I had hard time to prove that Hard Anodizing is different than regular Anodizing 16 years ago to the public while at SF. That's why I introduced HA with natural color (not black) first to be able to differentiate with color. :ohgeez:hahaha.
PVD coating on flashlights has been done very little due to their inherent cost factor and that's the truth if you understand the process.

Honestly, PKDL is my hobby which I enjoy very much and I make what I like since my consulting clients has different design goals.
Hopefully I have more people understand my babies' character and that would make me very happy. No I am NOT looking for making poop loads of $$$ anyday soon and that's not my current intent either.
I truly appreciates you all crazy people who spend hard earned bucks on my crazy products. Gratitude.
Hey, I've gotta go do more consulting jobs so I can fund my hobby projects!
Take care all and have fun.

Oops, Warning. This sucker gets really HOT really fast. Couldn't over-drive anymore! :green:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Thanks PK, you have no idea how encouraging it is to have you take part in the discussions.
P

This

And thanks for the gets hot tip.
Making note to self: carry gloves with the PR-1. lol

Folks, the Photon King builds stuff others may or may not try in a decade. So going in the PR-1 may seem kinda pricey. But it will still be ahead of the curve for years to come.

His products won't change the channel (well maybe those 4sevens will), nor will it follow last weeks latest fashion.
But what it will do is provide durable cutting edge technology in a well designed platform that was made in a state of the art factory. And it's backed by PK himself.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice looking light as expected. Looks tiny compared to the PK-FL2LE. As the packaging says 'Designed for cultivated expectations'. :thumbsup:

I'll pop a battery in and do some due diligence this evening after running some essential personal errands.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Forget everything you know about 1x 123 flashlights.
The PR-1 has arrived.
IMG_20160602_182326_zpsygigkcn5.jpg

I wanted to do a thread about the PK Pocket Rocket vs Elzetta Alpha, but it would only take 3 words.
"Pocket Rocket wins"

IMG_20160602_181058_zpsrww455oa.jpg

It's unbelievably small

IMG_20160602_181144_zpsettuzvtu.jpg

Here it is with a 1aaa microstream, a 1 aa HP1 and a 1aaa (old style) Key-Mate

IMG_20160602_181212_zpsdlkxequg.jpg

With an FL2 and fivemega 18350.

Better yet...
IMG_20160602_181649_zpsety1damb.jpg

A super simple 1aa Rayovac.

WOW!!

IMG_20160602_183821_zpstmyyu6im.jpg

Shown with a pair of Tom Thumb style and a lipstick style 1aa.

To start I thwacked the lens. Feels like burely glass to me.

Then aimed it at a 5 blade table fan on medium. No PWM detected in high, medium or low.
Nit pickers can read past here this time.
If you don't a white beam stop here...

Tail stander purists...stop here.

Stuck it my pocket clipless. Well until you've handled it a while ya probably oughta use the clip. But...if it wears like the FL2 coating does then all the coating on those those cnc'd should begin to smooth away shortly.
The ends of this one don't seem like they were meant for cutting meat in a pinch like the FL2.

IMG_20160602_191403_zpsr4bsi309.jpg

Random photo.

Switch is easily activated either on or momentary. I have no idea the time to wait for mode changes as I use momentary to cycle all my multi-setting lights.

On high, look out bad guys. On medium, it's pretty much what we're used to seeing on high in a light this small. Low is a very useful setting for general use.

You can overhand, underhand, cigar style or forefinger activate the switch comfortably.

I think the bezel comes off but between cnc edges and chewed up fingers from reassembling a 70's Dynamo last night (with it's needle thin spring) my already sore fingers didn't put out much effort trying.

A pair of o-rings sit side by side at both ends.

IMG_20160602_191429_zpsldzwjzxu.jpg

Note the pocket clip has anti-twist

IMG_20160602_181256_zpsc64uimrh.jpg

This light got an orange peel.

The hot spot is similar to the FL2 in that this aint no pencil beam. But unlike the Alpha it's not a wall of light. Should throw 75 yards easily.

IMG_20160602_192026_zpsppmioair.jpg
If the spill were milk there's certainly enough to cry over.

This latest masterpiece by PK Design Lab makes me glad to be a flashaholic.
Yes Ven, there'll be more added at some point.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

I took the PR1 out for a night spin a little while ago. As expected from a small XM-L2 light it has a floody beam with a radial color gradient, yellowish in the center, slightly purple in the corona. Overall tint is good for a cool white LED to my eye.

Compared to the larger two cell lights of just a few years ago, it lives up to its Pocket Rocket name with a wall of light in a very tiny package.

As PK mentioned, it does get hot on high but seems to be thermally stable with a 3.7 volt RCR123A from a quick test on my desk. With a fresh Fenix RCR the PR1 ran for 44 minutes on high before suddenly cutting off, almost identical to the runtime with the same battery on a late model 200 lumen SureFire EB1. The light was warm but seemed to stabilize and quickly cool when picked up. The PR1 metal body is thin, more like the SureFire T1A Titan than the SF EB1 so there is not much thermal inertia it seems, that is probably why it seems to cool down fast when held. Also, perhaps the output is thermally throttled as well. The crenellations in the bezel let you know the light is on when it is stood on its head.

With other small bright CR123A lights like the 4Sevens Mini I always was afraid I'd drop the light somewhere inaccessible on an aircraft while the light was on high. It would be hard to explain to the boss why I diverted to Shemya after dropping the light behind the cockpit rudder pedals and watching it start to smoke. Maybe I'll just tell him that I was trying to find my hotel ballpoint pen under my seat.

Outside finish of the Pocket Rocket is nice with the CNC edges less aggressive than on its big brother the PK-FL2LE. I like to have a clip mainly for roll resistance but the PR1 is pretty stable on its side without the clip. Inside, the PR1 looks a lot like some other Chinese lights with green circuit boards and small solder blobs visible in the tailcap and head. As mentioned above, the light has double O-rings at both ends.

As with most PK designed lights, there is the patented lock out tailcap feature where loosening the tailcap slightly keeps the light from coming on, a nice feature with a hot little light that might get bumped on in a briefcase or backpack. And, loosening the head has the same effect, something to remember if the light doesn't work after a battery change (which can be done from either end on the PR1). I find the pushbutton switch on the Pocket Rocket to be pretty firm so hopefully accidental actuation won't be much of a problem.

I agree with bykfixer, no PWM that I can detect visually, unlike with some recent lights from PK's old company (the SF Sidekick and Titan-A for example).

The updated PK-PR1 spec sheet says the light has an AR coating on both sides the glass lens but I can't seem to see it unless it is a neutral tint.

I'm going to go back out and walk a couple of miles to a field where I often see deer late at night. I usually carry a SureFire T1A Titan or an HDS Rotary for stealth ambulation on a moonless night and a brighter light to see the animals. The PK-PR1 is much more floody than the SF EB1 or EB2 so I don't expect the same throw but it should light up the field well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ Agreed there's no visible 'purple' seen in the lens from any angle.
Maybe PK will share what kind of AR was used (unless it's another innovation that will be a secret for a while).

Yesterday was a day I'd walked beside an asphalt paver in sweltering heat, so by the time the sun went down I was sawing logs. But tonight...after dark this baby will light up the neighbors yards.

I noticed the yellow ring around the spot and figure the orange peel helped reduce the fried egg look of the beam. But I metered the camera in the previous pic in the previous post to showcase the spot vs spill without showing the slight yellow ring. It's nothing you'll see in real world use, but when wall hunting it's there.

Here is the yellow mentioned.

Right now it's in my pocket as a replacement to either a Coast HP1 Klarus P1A or Elzetta Alpha and has become a noticably absent lump vs carrying the other.
I'm pretty sure if the need arises to shine this in a cavity while competing with daylighty direct sunshine this will do the trick.

From 5' in sunlight

3' with the mid day sun at my back.

More later.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

:cool: Congrats mr fixer & vox:party:, stunning little light!! Really like the size/look of this pocket beast

I still await more pics of the light and outdoor :p:poke:;)

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yesterday was a day I'd walked beside an asphalt paver in sweltering heat, so by the time the sun went down I was sawing logs. But tonight...after dark this baby will light up the neighbors yards.

...3' with the mid day sun at my back.

Looks like you are back at the job site in the second picture with your reflective vest and hardhat. I wear one of those vests when walking on a dark country road late at night to give the occasional drivers a heads up.

Late last night I didn't see any deer and there was a radiation fog beginning to form over the field where they sometimes roam. The PK-PR1 gave a nice conical beam in the mist with a smooth central hotspot.

I do like the fact that the Pocket Rocket comes on in high by default. In those rare cases where you need to check out a noise or something lurking in the shadows you have instant brilliance (not the same kind you get drinking beer in front of a keyboard ;)). Also, the other levels on the PR1 are very usefully spaced in my opinion.

For most of the past year I've been carrying a SureFire EB1 or EB2. They are great little spotlights to view game in the woods but the 5 lumen low with the tight hotspot is not as good as the wider beam on the PK-PR1 for walking up stairs or searching for a late night beverage while not waking the wife.

That little silver colored metal ring with the three tabs in the head of the flashlight looks familiar. Wasn't there a Nitecore or HDS light years ago that had a similar ring that was loose and sat on top of the battery? The strong spring in the PR1 tailcap pushes the battery firmly into the metal tabs in the head and I don't detect any uncommanded mode changes when the light is bumped.

I'm going to have to get one!

I think this a great state of the art light at an appealing price point. It is arguably small enough (roughly the same size as a SureFire T1A Titan with a clip and larger head) to be a keychain light.

I look forward to seeing the AAA PK-PL2. And the blue PK-PR1. :thumbsup: