The Official Zebralight Thread .

Tuiflies

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, I've only seen it on my MkIV lights. Specifically, two that use the XHP35 HI emitter. I have another two MkIV models, but they use the XHP 50.2, and I haven't used them much outside in the cold, so I can't say whether or not they have the same issue. My older Zebras are fine in the cold.

My new SC700d does it intermittently but not enough to be an issue. Purchased Oct '19. It is not cold related in my case though. I use a Samsung 50E battery.

Duster1671

Enlightened
I've thought of various ways to mitigate the annoyances with the interface but they all have drawbacks. For example, the walk out to the mailbox is only one of many use-cases for my flashlights, so I wouldn't want to give up a true H2 for easier access to a medium.

Overall, I enjoy the flexibility of the interface and I like my Zebralights in general (especially the H600Fc and SC64c LE). I just find them a bit fiddly and not at all something you can pick up and start using efficiently without some practice.

Anyway, I have my SC600w Mk IV HI on the way back to Zebralight so they can look at the H1 shutoff issue. I'll report back with their findings (if any).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought of various ways to mitigate the annoyances with the interface but they all have drawbacks. For example, the walk out to the mailbox is only one of many use-cases for my flashlights, so I wouldn't want to give up a true H2 for easier access to a medium.

You could always switch between G5/G6/G7, depending where you are. Or, have multiple lights, for specific uses. For example, I use my 600w HI strictly outdoors, so it's always in the same program group. My 600w Plus I use as a bike light, so again, I only use one program group set up for cycling. My SC64w HI is an EDC, so I mostly use it in a single group. My AA Zebras are stricly indoors or night light, so they're set up that way. Etc.

But, yeah, that gets expensive if you don't want that many lights. I don't find a 5-click, 6-click, or 7-click to be that much of a issue, so I'd be content using one light for multiple purposes. Make your G6 your mailbox setting, and set its H2 to 25 or 50 lumens. Use it on G5 the rest of the time.

Netter1283

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed a weird (what I think is a bug) in all of my Zebralights. I'm curious if anyone has any insight into why this is the case, or if there's a way to fix it (doubtful).

When in M group (M1 or M2) and you hold down, it switches quickly to H group. And when in H group and you hold down, it switches quickly to L group. Great. But when you're in L group and you hold down, there's an extra long pause before switching to M. It seems like it doesn't realize it's the L group, so it tries switching to L, because that's what 'hold' action does. So it takes twice as long when holding from L to M.

This is frustrating because I have G6/G7 set up as H group for low light (single click), L group for medium (hold) and M for high (double click). It's the perfect setup for me. Except when the light is on in L, and I want to get to turbo (M) quickly, it takes way too long.

Duster1671

Enlightened
That's not a bug, per se. Holding the button always switches the light to Low, then Medium, then High, regardless of the mode you're in. So if you're in Low, yes, there's a longer pause while it switches from Low to Low.

It's more of a quirk of the simple way that function was written, I suppose, than an actual bug. Or maybe that does count as a bug. Idk, I'm not a software engineer :)

Keitho

Enlightened
Idk, I'm not a software engineer :)

If you were a software engineer, no matter the user report said, you would confidently and loudly say, "that is a feature, not a bug!"

My ZL behave the same way, FWIW. It is a characteristic of the UI: very quick to any desired setting from off, but more difficult once it is on, unless it is in the same mode group (double-click). Sometimes (rarely) I want to go from "on" to "strobe": you can't get there from here (must turn it off, pause, triple-click).

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, all mine do the same. I've never really thought of it as a bug. But now that you mention it, perhaps it would be better to quickly move up to medium if you're already in low.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
If you were a software engineer, no matter the user report said, you would confidently and loudly say, "that is a feature, not a bug!"

My ZL behave the same way, FWIW. It is a characteristic of the UI: very quick to any desired setting from off, but more difficult once it is on, unless it is in the same mode group (double-click). Sometimes (rarely) I want to go from "on" to "strobe": you can't get there from here (must turn it off, pause, triple-click).

I see it as a feature, if I press unintentionally to cycle when I'm in moonlight, I have time to think and release the button, not destroying my night vision. Especially groggy in the middle of the night :whistle:

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
A couple things you don't see every day. On the left is an SC64w HI with a high CRI XHP35 HI. On the right is an SC64c with a dedomed LH351D.

pup4Vwv.jpg

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
A couple things you don't see every day. On the left is an SC64w HI with a high CRI XHP35 HI. On the right is an SC64c with a dedomed LH351D.

I've been waiting to see if someone would eventually dedome an sc64c. How are you liking it so far?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is ZL going to bring a new 1xAA model successor to SC 53 ?

Almost certainly, but they'll need to have a reason to update the SC53. New body design? Sure, but why? New LED? Perhaps, but they can probably just use the same SC53 design and call it "a", "b", whatever.

The thing that might result in a SC54 is a new UI. It's been a couple of years since they last updated their lines with the new UI, so maybe it's soon time for them to do it again.

As for the SC53, I find it a bit of a downgrade from the SC52 (except for the new UI). I like that the SC52 can take both AA and 14500. Can't do that with the SC53. But, for AA only, the SC53 is better.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
IMO Zebralight's AA lights really need 14500 support and higher turbo output to be compelling options nowadays. The 18650 lights are so compact it's hard to justify carrying an SC53 instead of an SC64 when they have the same size head.