The Official Zebralight Thread .

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Ticket status: New

Department: Customer Service

Subject: ZebraLight, Inc.: Update Tracking #52996

We have no plans to close down in the forseeable future.

Sincerely,

ZebraLight, Inc.
PO BOX 92307
Southlake, TX 76092

Thanks, but this won't matter. By the end of the month, someone will be out here speculating the ZL must be closing the doors, since nothing new has been released or announced.

Connor

Enlightened
I am/was a ZL fan, I bought 6 lights from them and I still own and use 3 of these.

That being said I am disappointed by 4 years of no innovation. LEDs, like other semiconductors, are constantly being improved upon and there's a wide variety of newer and better LEDs you can get now (SST-20, SFT-40, E21A, B35AM just to name a few) ... alas, you can't get them from ZL. Add to that a couple of really nifty new ideas that actually improve flashlight usage like e.g. Aux-LEDs and illuminated switches and it's hard to deny that ZL is falling behind, even though I still appreciate their efficient drivers and the unibody design.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I am/was a ZL fan, I bought 6 lights from them and I still own and use 3 of these.

That being said I am disappointed by 4 years of no innovation. LEDs, like other semiconductors, are constantly being improved upon and there's a wide variety of newer and better LEDs you can get now (SST-20, SFT-40, E21A, B35AM just to name a few) ... alas, you can't get them from ZL. Add to that a couple of really nifty new ideas that actually improve flashlight usage like e.g. Aux-LEDs and illuminated switches and it's hard to deny that ZL is falling behind, even though I still appreciate their efficient drivers and the unibody design.

I guess it comes down to what's important to you. New and upgraded doesn't necessarily mean better. Aux lights, lit switches, ability to start fires, etc are all available if other, less expensive, offerings. I consider those gimmick items, not required in my day to day lighting needs.

Connor

Enlightened
Aux lights, lit switches

Of course .. different strokes for different folks.
But I'm sure you can see the value of being able to find your flashlight in complete darkness .. or having a flashlight that's always producing a little bit of light even when "off" (with no impact on battery life).

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I'm sure you can see the value of being able to find your flashlight in complete darkness .. or having a flashlight that's always producing a little bit of light even when "off" (with no impact on battery life).
great point...

the h53w has a low output of 0.013 lumens that will last over three months.

i couldn't be happier!!!

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
great point...

the h53w has a low output of 0.013 lumens that will last over three months.

i couldn't be happier!!!
and a beauty she is too...

1644008391572.jpeg

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I'd it's creating light, it's impacting battery availability.

Connor

Enlightened
I'd it's creating light, it's impacting battery availability.
The D4V2 Aux LEDs on low use 60-170 µA (depending on the RGB colour(s)) which is less than the battery self-discharge. Unless you never use your flashlight over years it's not impacting battery life in any meaningful way. (you can turn them off completely and for storage you should disconnect the battery anyway)

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an idea to add a lock for changing the parameters G6 and G7. Something like unscrew and screw the lid when the flashlight is on in any mode and press the button, when (for example) 3 or 4 cycle changes H/M/L pass (9/12 level changes), then the lock will be turned on. Almost like entering a PID controller. Lock - I mean that it will be possible to endlessly switch between H1 and H2 modes, for example, without entering the brightness setting with 6 double clics. If you want to change modes, you can again remove this lock. Every time when a zebra is put into the hands of comrades, they click it and as a result I have several pieces of levels 12. I also bought a bunch of zebras for work, some of these people also go into brighter and brighter modes and I end up having to reconfigure everything again and again.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
There is an idea to add a lock for changing the parameters G6 and G7. Something like unscrew and screw the lid when the flashlight is on in any mode and press the button, when (for example) 3 or 4 cycle changes H/M/L pass (9/12 level changes), then the lock will be turned on. Almost like entering a PID controller. Lock - I mean that it will be possible to endlessly switch between H1 and H2 modes, for example, without entering the brightness setting with 6 double clics. If you want to change modes, you can again remove this lock. Every time when a zebra is put into the hands of comrades, they click it and as a result I have several pieces of levels 12. I also bought a bunch of zebras for work, some of these people also go into brighter and brighter modes and I end up having to reconfigure everything again and again.

I could see this as a possibility. As long as they don't change the quick method of getting to G6 and G7 for normal use.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Just got my sc602 back from out of warranty repair. Was gone about 2 months. Seems to have fixed the problem (draining cells below the min voltage).

josekym

Newly Enlightened
I have a few Zebras, but even fewer Anduril lights (FW3As and EDC18s only). The Anduril lights are fun to play with for sure, but for practicality reasons, Zebras have been my EDC lights for years now. Most of the time (at home and at work) I just need a light to work reliably with one click.

Similar to what was mentioned earlier, I program all my newer SC Zebras to always come on at M-level on a single click, H-level on 2-click and L-level on long press. For my older SC600 Zebras (i.e. no G6, G7), I set H2 to ~200-300 lumens if possible, and I find it minimizes my need to have to use the max output on H1.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an inquiry to Zebralight about a successor to the recently discontinued H53Fc and received the following reply:

We'll have H53c LE, H53Fc LE, and SC53c LE, all with the Samsung LH351D, in about 2-3 months.

Not quite the Nichia 519a I was hoping for, but quite an improvement over the Cree XP-L2!

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an inquiry to Zebralight about a successor to the recently discontinued H53Fc and received the following reply:

Not quite the Nichia 519a I was hoping for, but quite an improvement over the Cree XP-L2!
Hey Now...

The Samsung LH351D, the led said to be used to illuminate Heaven!!!

I've got my money ready.

Thanks