Flashlight Enthusiast
Good, but found where? :)

This one...

il_570xN.1159328867_d76o.jpg

Is from Pops Custom Clips on Etsy.

And, this one...

s-l1600.jpg

Is from blade4sell on ebay.

I believe both companies offer multiple styles and/or finish options. But, none are cheap as they are custom made titanium clips.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty darn dim. Only really useful for when you wake up in the middle of the night, in a near pitch black room, and have dark adapted eyes. I do find it useful though in certain circumstances. Yeah, the one that is one level up from that(0.05 lumens) is the brightness of the lowest modes on the SC64c and w.

Okay, it sounds like we're talking about the same levels. So, it sounds like the SC64w goes one level lower than the SC600w IV HI.

Different ZLs have very different lows. The H51 that I described above, which I use for my channel-marker, is actually *too dim to navigate by*. Even in pitch dark, even with dark-adapted eyes. If I hold it at waist-height, it will not illuminate the floor far enough in front of my feet to make sure I'm not about to step on the dog. (Granted, he is black, but still.) It's too dim to read with, unless I hold it within a few centimeters of the page.

Yup, that's the lowest-low on the SC52's. The SC5 uses 1-level up from that as its lowest. The SC600w IV HI, uses 2 levels up from that.

The SC600w lowest is actually my preferred moonlight, but not for middle-of-a-dark-night. I like it one level below, for that.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, it sounds like we're talking about the same levels. So, it sounds like the SC64w goes one level lower than the SC600w IV HI.
ZL says they are both the same at 0.07 lumens. I can tell you for sure if you don't mind waiting a week or so. I have a HI ordered and am just waiting for ZL to ship it.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The SC600w IV HI, uses 2 levels up from that.

The SC600w lowest is actually my preferred moonlight, but not for middle-of-a-dark-night. I like it one level below, for that.

Agreed! For middle-of-the-night lows, my SC600 MKII HI is slightly too bright on its lowest-low. My H52w is about right.

I should do some comparison shots with all of these. I just eyeballed the low-low on my old H51 and the low-low on my new H53w next to each other, and the visible difference is about 3-5 fold, so the actual lumen difference is 10-fold to 25-fold?

holygeez03

Enlightened
The increased lux per lumen of the HI might be throwing off your perception? It's the lux that hurts your eyes...

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison:thumbsup:.

Keep in mind that the CCT difference will effect things as well though. Warmer CCT's definitely enhance certain colours, especially earth tones. I know they do because I have the H600Fc&d MKIII and they are identical lights with the same CRI so, they work great for CCT comparison.

Can I bother you to do a few beam shot comparisons between the c&d? I have seen the ones out there but I have the H600fc mk3 and want to get the mk4. I like the CCT of 4500 and went for the "c" at 4000 but maybe I should go for the "d" at 5000... I am prob going to sell the mk3, but getting both the c&d is not really an option right now.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The increased lux per lumen of the HI might be throwing off your perception? It's the lux that hurts your eyes...

Yep, lights with a tighter hotspot always appear brighter then they are.

Really, moonlight modes aside, the HI is not a great choice for close range tasks or especially a bed side light imo(just basing this on reviews and beamshots as mine isn't here yet). I have heard more then one person complain about it having too tight/intense of a hotspot for many closer range tasks or even to be a great all around light. I think it is more of niche light best suited to outdoor use.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I bother you to do a few beam shot comparisons between the c&d? I have seen the ones out there but I have the H600fc mk3 and want to get the mk4. I like the CCT of 4500 and went for the "c" at 4000 but maybe I should go for the "d" at 5000... I am prob going to sell the mk3, but getting both the c&d is not really an option right now.

Do you mean against a white wall or?

I can tell you that, personally, I think the Fd(5000K) is best for daytime use for supplemental light. Imo it is too cool for use at night both indoors and outdoors. I do love it however for daytime use and I use it for various tasks during the day.

You might want to decide based on where/when you use your headlamp the most. For instance, for camping and/or nightime hiking the Fc(4000K) is the best choice imo as it is warm and calming and matches the moonlight well. It also isn't a harsh contrast compared to a campfire like the Fd is. The Fc is also best if you use it at night indoors as it is closer to the 2700 - 3000K indoor lighting most people use in their living rooms and bedrooms. It will also wake you up less and cause less sleep disturbance if used near or during bedtime.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best nightstand light: H502c

There is a H502c L2 on my nightstand right now lol. I use it mainly for reading in bed though and generally prefer a regular flashlight to an angle light/headlamp for a general purpose nightstand light. My SC64c has been getting used lately and works quite well. My benchmark in the past was an Astrolux A01 Nichia 219B SW40(4000K) R9050.

Do you have the H502c or H502c L2?

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's possible that it's partially due to perception, but certainly not all. There's no doubt it is much brighter than the earlier zebralights with the same ~ 0.07 lumens claimed in the specs.

Really, moonlight modes aside, the HI is not a great choice for close range tasks or especially a bed side light imo(just basing this on reviews and beamshots as mine isn't here yet). I have heard more then one person complain about it having too tight/intense of a hotspot for many closer range tasks or even to be a great all around light. I think it is more of niche light best suited to outdoor use.

Yes, I got it for outdoors, but since it's my latest light, I have to try it out everywhere! :)

Besides, I don't use it to directly illuminate stuff in the middle of the night. I use it ceiling-bounced. Still too bright.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I got it for outdoors, but since it's my latest light, I have to try it out everywhere! :)

Besides, I don't use it to directly illuminate stuff in the middle of the night. I use it ceiling-bounced. Still too bright.

I totally understand. I often use a new light in the kitchen and bathroom in the evening instead of the AC lighting. I think it drives my GF nuts:crackup:. She sometimes comes in, flicks the AC light on, and rolls her eyes:rolleyes:. That's ok, I roll mine too when she comes home with another ridiculously expensive piece of hand made pottery:).

Yeah, ceiling bouncing helps a bit but, not if it is too bright.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use my MK3 HI for plenty of indoor tasks without issue. It frequently goes into my "around the house" rotation and as a bedside light too. I will say for close range tasks you have to have it on a lower setting but it does a very good job.

I find the frosted lens ZL I have is actually worse for close range tasks if I'm not pointing the light directly away from me since the light scatters out to the sides. I was working on my car last night, set the frosted lens ZL down to shine on what I was trying to fix and the glare from it was almost unbearable. I believe it's the MK3 Plus Fd model I have. I also noticed the lens has cracked, not sure but I think my 2 year old daughter got ahold of it... and it's been through a few wash/dry cycles too. :oops:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a dream last night that I received a new SC600 MKIV in the mail. Upon opening the box an accessory pack fell out. It had a second tailcap with a spring as well as a drop in spring adapter for the positive contact.

I was so excited in my dream to report my new findings. Oh well. It was only a dream. What a great dream. :D

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my MK3 HI for plenty of indoor tasks without issue. It frequently goes into my "around the house" rotation and as a bedside light too. I will say for close range tasks you have to have it on a lower setting but it does a very good job.

I find the frosted lens ZL I have is actually worse for close range tasks if I'm not pointing the light directly away from me since the light scatters out to the sides. I was working on my car last night, set the frosted lens ZL down to shine on what I was trying to fix and the glare from it was almost unbearable. I believe it's the MK3 Plus Fd model I have. I also noticed the lens has cracked, not sure but I think my 2 year old daughter got ahold of it... and it's been through a few wash/dry cycles too. :oops:

Yeah, I am sure it will still work but, it is definitely not ideal. I have heard several people say the HI does not have the best beam profile for an all around light. Personally I don't like a tight defined hotspot for many tasks, especially indoor ones. When it comes to reflector based lights, I think the SC63/64 series has a great beam profile for an all around light. It strikes a good balance between flood and throw with its large hotspot, corona, and bright spill.

Yep, glare can start to be an issue with some designs and uses. I find this can be a problem with some lanterns.

I look forward to putting the MKIV HI through its paces when it gets here and I will post my impressions once I use it for a bit.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I am sure it will still work but, it is definitely not ideal. I have heard several people say the HI does not have the best beam profile for an all around light. Personally I don't like a tight defined hotspot for many tasks, especially indoor ones.

Yeah, I think that's probably right. The Mk III HI is certainly not a thrower (esp. if you hang around Vinh's site!), but it is on the throwy side of an ideal all-purpose light. I wonder how its profile compares to some other popular EDCs like the Malkoff or HDS--probably not a lot throwier than they are, given the size of their reflectors.

Anyhow--I basically agree with you. For indoor stuff, I am more likely to reach for my H52w, which I always have, or even my H502w, which I often have. The MkIII HI is a better outdoor light (as well as a better 1000 lumen light, which the AA-models cannot do of course).

Somebody said that the H502 is the ideal bed-side light? I almost agree, but not quite: for tip-toeing around at night and keeping the wife and kids asleep, I want something with a more shrouded beam. I do love the quality of the H502w's light--love love that pure mule wall of light, like being in an even bubble of illuminated glow. And it is certainly true that lower lux is the key to preserving night-vision. (Strictly speaking, "moonlight" started as a measure of lux, not lumens. On a moonlit night with no other light around, the moon is still bombarding you with millions--maybe billions!--of lumens! But they are spread out over such a wide area that the lux is very low.)

But I also want to keep the light out of my wife's eyes. So the narrower beams are better for not bothering other people.