The Official Zebralight Thread .

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was right about the battery rattle! Not just mine.
Yep, it's pretty common with many flashlights if you shake the hard enough from right to left. And, the pogo pins on newer ZL's tend to exaggerate it as they don't apply as much pressure as a traditional double spring design. It is necessary for manufacturers to bore the battery compartment fairly wide as well so that they can accommodate many different models and brands of cells. It's an easy fix though if it bothers you.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
I recieved my SC600w Hi mk4 today and it's slightly less brighter then my SC600w Hi mk3. I measured 1074 lumens at max for the IV and 1196 lumens for the III. With 16113 Candela for the IV and 17896 Candela for my III @ 1 meter.

The IV cri is better then the III, but I'm a bit disappointed in the max output, I was hoping for the IV Hi to break the 300 meter beam distance barrier.

Curious if anyone else has both lights and can compare.

That's disappointing since ZL is usually pretty accurate about their output ratings. Did you try emailing them?

JimmyLSX

Newly Enlightened
That's disappointing since ZL is usually pretty accurate about their output ratings. Did you try emailing them?

I've purchased over 8 zebralights and so far this SC600w IV Hi is the only one to not meet their H1 max and be below it. Every other Zebralight I've own/owned always put out more lumens then their advertised spec at max which made me believe they were always underrated. The other levels through H2, M1,M2, etc I tested are pretty inline with zebralights spec, just not the max 1400. I even charged one of my samsung 30q's to 4.35volts and tested again still only 1070-1095 lumens at max.
Things I do like about the light though is definitely the new Ui, the tint is much better then my MK3 Hi and so is the Cri. Things I find different from my Mk3 Hi, the reflectors Orange peel is more aggressive then the mk3 Hi, the button is more recessed and easier to click, their are more pogo pins, IV Hi 5 on positive and 5 on negative vs III Hi 3 on positive and 4 on negative.

I decided to keep the light and not email them about it, sure it would be nice to have those extra 300 lumens on max but the light would just get hotter and ramp down faster.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to keep the light and not email them about it, sure it would be nice to have those extra 300 lumens on max but the light would just get hotter and ramp down faster.

If the problem is a less efficient emitter or driver then it may actually produce more heat compared to one running the proper 1400lm. If it is pulling the same current but producing less light then that extra energy has to be going somewhere.

I would definitely email ZL and ask for an exchange if I were you.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's the same exact pogo pin pattern in the head side as well.

Edit: it is a tighter pattern in the head though as to make contact with the positive flat top of the battery.

So, just to confirm, there is 5 pogo pins at the positive end as well? The MKIII's only had 3 so, using 5 should spread out the force and help prevent these lights from denting cells. Smart thinking ZL:thumbsup:.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, just to confirm, there is 5 pogo pins at the positive end as well? The MKIII's only had 3 so, using 5 should spread out the force and help prevent these lights from denting cells. Smart thinking ZL:thumbsup:.

Yup, here it is.

jb509

Newly Enlightened

It depends which MK III. My SC600w Mk III Hi has 5 on the positive side and 4 on negative but the SC600Fd Mk III Plus has 5 on the positive side and 5 on negative as well.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
So has anyone ordered the new SC600 Mk IV Plus with the clear lens?
Has anyone received one yet?

I have been EDC'ing the Mk III HI for over a year now, and it is a great light.

I would be happy to buy a new improved version of that.

If the Mk IV HI will put out 1400 lumens, then that would be enough to warrant a replacement of my Mk III.

But I am worried about the reports of low output--we need more evidence about that (confirmation that it is a widespread problem, or evidence that it was just one bad apple in the batch).

Otherwise, I may be very tempted by the clear-lensed Plus, offering 2300 lumens (!!!!).

It may not have the same concentrated beam as the HI, but then again it may have nearly the same throw, just due to brute force.

I'm excited!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends which MK III. My SC600w Mk III Hi has 5 on the positive side and 4 on negative but the SC600Fd Mk III Plus has 5 on the positive side and 5 on negative as well.
Oh, so they must have made the upgrade mid production on the MKIII HI's. The original MKIII HI's had only 3 pins on the positive side.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, so they must have made the upgrade mid production on the MKIII HI's. The original MKIII HI's had only 3 pins on the positive side.
Edit: Yes, I found a post about it. Looks like they made the change mid production due to the reports of dented cells. It's nice that ZL's are co Stanley refining their designs.

JimmyLSX

Newly Enlightened
If the problem is a less efficient emitter or driver then it may actually produce more heat compared to one running the proper 1400lm. If it is pulling the same current but producing less light then that extra energy has to be going somewhere.

I would definitely email ZL and ask for an exchange if I were you.

You hit the nail on the head Dan, I ended up testing my mk IV versus mk III with a laser temp gun after your suggestion. With freshly charged 30q cells to 4.2v and both lights at 77 degrees F cold start with Ambient temp 77 degrees F, after two minutes the head of the MK IV was at 111 degrees F and the head of the MK III at 96 degrees F. Yeah somethings not right with my IV. I sent them an email earlier today. Thanks for the suggestion.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah somethings not right with my IV. I sent them an email earlier today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ah, okay: so we are getting more evidence, as I hoped for, and it is looking like one bad apple rather than a bad batch.

Okay--if a few people get Mk IV HI's that really put out 1400 (±5%), then I will probably go for that.

The 2300 lumens from the PLUS is very tempting, but I really like the beam profile on my Mk III HI, so might stick with that.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone got the Plus version yet? I pre-ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard anything yet.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
You hit the nail on the head Dan, I ended up testing my mk IV versus mk III with a laser temp gun after your suggestion. With freshly charged 30q cells to 4.2v and both lights at 77 degrees F cold start with Ambient temp 77 degrees F, after two minutes the head of the MK IV was at 111 degrees F and the head of the MK III at 96 degrees F. Yeah somethings not right with my IV. I sent them an email earlier today. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is strange, the cell or driver heating itself due to the inefficiency could'nt make that difference in the head between III and IV

If the light heats up quicker, it has to be either because it's emiting more lumens; or the led is more inefficient and generates less light at the same or higher current.

I don't think Zebralight is using older bin for their leds than the ones used last year...

Let's see if more people receive the light and have similar results. Mine should arrive in three weeks...

markr6

Flashaholic
My SC600w IV HI will be here in a few hours. I will do a comparison against the III HI and let you know what I see.