The Official Zebralight Thread .

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I lowered it 5 degrees and to be honest I can't tell any difference (shrugs). H1 still feels like I'm holding an actual flaming TORCH by the wrong end!

:)

It could be this just aint for me. Maybe I'm just a tactical butt switch guy. It's a very interesting UI though and the beam IS beautiful.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lowered it 5 degrees and to be honest I can't tell any difference (shrugs). H1 still feels like I'm holding an actual flaming TORCH by the wrong end!

It could be this just aint for me. Maybe I'm just a tactical butt switch guy. It's a very interesting UI though and the beam IS beautiful.

You have pretty sensitive hands for a tactical guy there Webhobbit:poke::D.

The light should only get to about 40-50C at most with the PID lowered. That is a hot summer day in some places. You should try the Emisar D4 if you want to see hot lol. I believe it can hit 70C with the thermal regulation turned up. Now that's hot:eek:.

Remember, you don't have to use the high modes but, they are there if you need them and they are perfectly safe even if you do find them a bit warm. At levels similar to a MD2 M61N the light should only get a bit hotter due to the ZL's much smaller size. The bonus is the ZL will get 2-3 times the regulated runtime compared to the M61N due to its far more advanced driver. Heat is always the tradeoff for output, even your MD2 would get quite hot eventually if it were putting out 1400 lumens(remember that is twice the output of the Hound Dog 18650). It is just the nature of the beast and small lights get hot faster.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, just to confirm, did you do the whole process 5 full times? It only goes up or down one degree at a time so you have to do it 5 full times. You can check if it worked with a infrared temp gun.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Yep did it 5 times...unfortunately I don't have access to a temp gun.

I haven't given up yet guys. H2 doesn't seem to become a Hot Spire of Hell. So that's encouraging.

I'm gonna carry it to work today and see how it does.

TCY

Enlightened
A ZL with PID cranked all the way down has a temp cap of 48C with +-0.1C accuracy.

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering, if SC600Fd IV can last longer without stepping down than III version when using outputting the same lumens? Also interested to see, if VTC6 battery lasts longer than Sanyo GA when using mostly H1 mode with its step downs. Personally, I find these flashlights too compact which harms cooling and high modes are then less useful. The body could be longer at least to protect the battery from heat because the body is rated for 85C and fall/winter outdoor temps could then pretty much maintain H1 at max or close until the battery runs out.

Maybe Zebralight one day produce bigger and more powerful version of SC600Fd which is similar to Astrolux MF01.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering, if SC600Fd IV can last longer without stepping down than III version when using outputting the same lumens? Also interested to see, if VTC6 battery lasts longer than Sanyo GA when using mostly H1 mode with its step downs. Personally, I find these flashlights too compact which harms cooling and high modes are then less useful. The body could be longer at least to protect the battery from heat because the body is rated for 85C and fall/winter outdoor temps could then pretty much maintain H1 at max or close until the battery runs out.

Maybe Zebralight one day produce bigger and more powerful version of SC600Fd which is similar to Astrolux MF01.

I think you are missing the whole point of Zebralight's design. They are designed to be as small as possible and use the most advanced thermal regulation in the industry to still allow use of extremely high outputs. Yes, in average conditions they will only hold that output for a while(long enough to put your dog out or do other daily tasks)but, their thermal regulation is designed to step down in such small increments that it is hardly noticed. If you want extremely high sustained outputs you need to go with a much larger multi cell light. And, there are plenty of light companies making large lights already. ZL's niche is extremely small easy to carry EDC lights. Also, keep in mind a single cell light running outputs like on some of the new models would kill a VTC6 in only minutes which isn't very practical or useful even if it could do it anyway imo. A single 18650 only has so much capacity and you need 3 - 4 of them for a descent runtime at sustained high outputs.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are missing the whole point of Zebralight's design. They are designed to be as small as possible and use the most advanced thermal regulation in the industry to still allow use of extremely high outputs. Yes, in average conditions they will only hold that output for a while(long enough to put your dog out or do other daily tasks)but, their thermal regulation is designed to step down in such small increments that it is hardly noticed. If you want extremely high sustained outputs you need to go with a much larger multi cell light. And, there are plenty of light companies making large lights already. ZL's niche is extremely small easy to carry EDC lights. Also, keep in mind a single cell light running outputs like on some of the new models would kill a VTC6 in only minutes which isn't very practical or useful even if it could do it anyway imo. A single 18650 only has so much capacity and you need 3 - 4 of them for a descent runtime at sustained high outputs.
This makes me wonder what has happened to their C3 light? I'm quite intrigued by the limited specs posted on their website.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone found a way to actually speak with someone at Zebralight? I'm finding the communication via their website messaging a little rough.

markr6

Flashaholic
This makes me wonder what has happened to their C3 light? I'm quite intrigued by the limited specs posted on their website.

Just hoping it isn't another Q50! I figured they were just busy getting all the new 64/600 lights finalized, so the C3 had to wait a little longer.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't be sure but, I am guessing they cancelled that and just haven't removed it from the spec sheet yet. Either that or put it way on the back burner. It has been on the spec sheet for a very long time.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just hoping it isn't another Q50! I figured they were just busy getting all the new 64/600 lights finalized, so the C3 had to wait a little longer.

They announced the C3 way before the 64 and MKIV series was announced though. In fact, I think they announced the C4 quite a bit before the SC53, SC5 MKII, and H53 series as well. My guess it is cancelled or just not very important to them. I guess an email would answer our question though.

TCY

Enlightened

They plan to get the C3 manufactured in their new shiny Texas factory so it's a milestone "Made in USA" ZL.. but I guess the factory is having some hiccups. ZL told me the R&D of C3 has been completed months ago.

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
. Perfectly stated by "Tachead"...the smallest and brightest has always been Z.L's mission for sure. But that's what makes them so darn versatile over most of the competition. Look at the SC600, what if they stopped at the original design and hadn't continued evolving? Other flashlight companies have fallen by the wayside, while Zebralight's popularity continues to grow for this very reason.

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Man, Zebralight really missed the boat by not coming out with the Q50 (for newer members of the herd -this was a 4AA soda can light prototype that never actually came to fruition). They would have sold 1000's of these things! Too late now...we have the TN4A (awesome light for money) among others...

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well guys I am now a believer! Carried my new SC64w today at work. Carried just fine. The new stiff black clip works well and seem to ease up a little on the tightness after taking it on and off the pocket lip a few times but it's still very strong. My earlier concerns with the heat is no longer an issue. I just have it start in H2 (875) and if I "need" more I can simply double click. I am finding the default setup otherwise just perfect for me. I use the medium and H2 more than anything. I LOVE the UI!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find the "hold and ramp through modes" very natural and FUN to use. I am a convert and now I think I'm gonna order it's big brother the new SC600 plus!

Last edited:

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
You will love the SC600w lV Plus! It will really make a believer out of you. The 64 is a great carry light but the Plus is a whole wall of light!

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Slightly off topic but this is the first time I've messed with unprotected 18650s...the red cells from ZL -on my Xtar VP1 -they get a little warmer than my protected cells do around the middle of the charging cycle...not hot but a little warm. This is normal -yes?

Last edited: