The Official Zebralight Thread .

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's pretty nasty. Maybe you should try the cardboard ring suggestion I posted above? Sounds like we'd have an answer to whether it works or not, pretty quick from you!

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I know! I feel like I might be a bit of an extreme case, I admit it lol. I'm gonna order a bunch and try it out. I see them on Amazon. Where did you get your rings?

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC600 series. It's got the 6 on top and bottom. Just looked at one of my VTC6 and it has a circular pattern of holes dug into the negative terminal. It's just absurd.

I had one cell damaged when it rolled off the couch.

I love this flashlight but losing 30-35 dollars in cells since about mid November is outrageous. One of the GA cells has had internal damage. It won't hold a charge and it's capacity is gone. I figured out that cell was damaged when I had charged it and used it on high for a few minutes. Went to use it on high the next day and it had dimmed down. Checked the voltage and it was at 3.39.

This is the latest VTC6:
sGVVJge.jpg

Yup. I have 2 that look exactly the same. I have reserved them for my SC600 only. As it would likely bang up any other batteries I put in it as well.

markr6

Flashaholic
That's bad! I don't even have a scratch on my SC600w IV HI or SC64w. But mine probably don't see as much use as others.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats the best zebra light to buy?

Well, the real answer is "all of them!" :)

Okay, it really depends on what you intend to use it for, what kind of tint you prefer, and what kind of batteries you're comfortable with.

Personally, my favourite EDC is the SC52w (now sold as the SC53w). It's a small pocketable AA light, plenty bright enough for general purpose use. Alternatively, the slightly more chunky SC5w gives you higher output and more throw, still using a AA battery. (The SC5w is probably my favourite all-time light.)

Step up to an 18650 battery with the SC64w, if you don't mind something a bit more bulky to carry around. Very bright, and long run times. Still very small for an 18650 light, but I personally find 18650 lights to be a bit too bulky for an EDC. Many like it, though.

My favourite outdoor light is the SC600w HI. (It uses an 18650 battery.) Bright, and pretty good throw for a small light. (Zebralight's throwiest light.) It's definitely very pocketable for walks, but I wouldn't want to carry it in my pocket all day.

If you just want sheer output, the SC600w Plus has amazing output for a single-emitter light. It's quite floody (more than any other Zebralight), so only useful for modest distances. Great for seeing a large area all at once. Exact same size as the SC600w HI, so pocketable for walks.

Then there's small stubby Zebralights that run on CR123 batteries, but I have no experience with them. They probably make for a good EDC that is brighter than the AA versions.

Last edited:

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
Well, the real answer is "all of them!" :)

Okay, it really depends on what you intend to use it for, what kind of tint you prefer, and what kind of batteries you're comfortable with.

Personally, my favourite EDC is the SC52w (now sold as the SC53w). It's a small pocketable AA light, plenty bright enough for general purpose use. Alternatively, the slightly more chunky SC5w gives you higher output and more throw, still using a AA battery. (The SC5w is probably my favourite all-time light.)

Step up to an 18650 battery with the SC64w, if you don't mind something a bit more bulky to carry around. Very bright, and long run times. Still very small for an 18650 light, but I personally find 18650 lights to be a bit too bulky for an EDC. Many like it, though.

My favourite outdoor light is the SC600w HI. (It uses an 18650 battery.) Bright, and pretty good throw for a small light. (Zebralight's throwiest light.) It's definitely very pocketable for walks, but I wouldn't want to carry it in my pocket all day.

If you just want sheer output, the SC600w Plus has amazing output for a single-emitter light. It's quite floody (more than any other Zebralight), so only useful for modest distances. Great for seeing a large area all at once. Exact same size as the SC600w HI, so pocketable for walks.

Then there's small stubby Zebralights that run on CR123 batteries, but I have no experience with them. They probably make for a good EDC that is brighter than the AA versions.

thanks bud. i have a fenix light. also have an emisar D4. I was not happy with how it would step down so fast and burn the battery/dim out and burn my hands lol. was debating to get a d4 ti but decided against it because of how the D4 was even though the brightness was amazing.

so I'm debating between the SC64W and the S600w Plus and SC600w Hi now.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks here like the SC64w best for edc. It is the slimmest of the three and more comfortable in pocket. That being said, I used to edc the original SC600w which was the biggest of the SC series and didn't have any issue with it. Downside of the SC64w is it does get hot faster than the other two (the other two have more mass and better heat-sinking). So for performance go for one of the other two. For throw go with the "Hi" and for a flood beam go for the "plus".

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened

how much more throw does Hi have compared to plus.

i think i'm leaning towards plus for the flood.

can you tell me what real life situation would i need throw more than flood?

Edit. I just ordered the Plus because of the Lumens and flood...throw is not as important to me at the moment.

Last edited:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Beside the battery issues I've had it's the best light I've ever owned Jack. It's got pretty decent throw for how floody it can appear.

I used to ONLY buy lights that w re 5000k-6500k. That isn't the case anymore. The color and depth of objects seem so perfect in 4500k. Objects up close are less bleached out as well. You can't go wrong with your choice.

Btw, I EDC that same light and, when especially in ****ies, I don't notice it being there. Sometimes I check to see if I lost it.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I have an H600w MKIII with a pocket clip and find it to be the perfect edc. Standing up you can point it any direction. On its side with the clip in a certain position you can ceiling bounce to illuminate a room. When needed you can then use it as a headlamp. Fits well in the pocket via clip. Springs instead of pogo pin so no damaged batteries. Overall it's excellent. I'm tempted to pick up the H600w MK IV just talking about it [emoji28].

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
well so far i had a fenix pd35 tactical, emisar d4...for some reason i saw a zebra light thread and a lot of buzz so i'm going to be the proud owner of the h600w MK4 plus pretty soon:) can't wait.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

how much more throw does Hi have compared to plus.

i think i'm leaning towards plus for the flood.

can you tell me what real life situation would i need throw more than flood?

Edit. I just ordered the Plus because of the Lumens and flood...throw is not as important to me at the moment.

I prefer the SC600w MkIV HI for general-purpose use outdoors. It does have some throw, which is good for my use. But I think you'll be happy with the SC600w MkIV Plus.

I believe the HI has about 20,000 candella, which puts the throw (to 0.25 lux) at 280 meters. I find 1 lux is more practical, so half the "useful" throw to about 140 meters.

As a rough guess, I think the Plus has about 13,000 candella, or about 230 meters of throw. 115 meters of "useful" throw. But because it also creates a lot of light up close, it makes it more difficult to see in the distance. Because it is so bright, it achieves throw simply by powering through it.

I have some trees about 500 meters away I often shine lights on. (Yeah, I'm weird that way.) The HI clearly lights them up, though not at the 0.25 lux level required to say it throws that far. The Plus does not appear to light them up at all. Perhaps it does, but the large hot-spot makes it difficult to see a clear separation between the dark and lighted area?

At moderate distances, the Plus throws far enough. So unless you need to see stuff more than 100 meters away, the Plus should be fine. It has an advantage in creating a large area of light, so you don't need to pan around looking at something. It's definitely the winner at moderate distances (less than 100 meters).

I usually carry a C8 (a small dedicated thrower) specifically for seeing stuff far away, and use a Zebralight for everything else.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe he meant the SC600w mk4 plus.

WalkIntoTheLight- thanks for the breakdown, I personally like a more floody light backed up by a spotter. Most of the time I am using a light nearby and the "bouncing ball" effect annoys me. When I used my SC600w as my edc light, I had a diffuser film sandwiched between the lens and the bezel. I removed the adhesive so it was easy to take off and put into body wrapped around the battery. I did find that I barely took it off.

Last edited:

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Years of following the Zebralight company I'm kicking myself for not diving in years ago. Received my first ZL the SC64w today. Couldn't be anymore happy with it. Tint is what I would call perfect for my taste. The size is shockingly smaller than I thought it would be. I love the pocket clip design, was actually expecting it to be chrome with Philips screws but was happily surprised it's black with black torx screws. I feel this is gonna be a ZL addition starting now.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Years of following the Zebralight company I'm kicking myself for not diving in years ago. Received my first ZL the SC64w today. Couldn't be anymore happy with it. Tint is what I would call perfect for my taste. The size is shockingly smaller than I thought it would be. I love the pocket clip design, was actually expecting it to be chrome with Philips screws but was happily surprised it's black with black torx screws. I feel this is gonna be a ZL addition starting now.

Exactly the same as you RTTR, much following and reading on here, only of late joined the party. Better late than never ................................

Recently away for a little break, couple of the ZL's joined me
8KNaeTll.jpg

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all of your suggestions and breakdowns. I was reading through as much as I could of the thread and couldn't find a good comparison and you all broke it down for me perfectly. I don't really need a crazy thrower as much as a flooder so the Plus seems perfect for me. I'll probably be adding more to my collection at a later time but for now, this should be a good "EDC", except I don't carry it in my pocket...just have it around home for whenever i need haha.

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
I have samsung INR18650 3.6 flat 2500 maH

and AW Protected 2200 mAH (not flat) 3.7 V IC + Power

which is the better battery for the 600W Plus and can I safely use both?

Thanks