The Official Zebralight Thread .

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was on a full battery. I think the cooling works well enough that the light never ramped down from full output, though it did feel warm to the touch during the ride. It was about 15C that night, and the breeze generated would have been something like 20-25 km/h.

I think it looked brighter than car headlights, though with more flood and less throw.

Wow, so with good cooling it can eat a battery pretty fast. I looked up how bright car headlights are. There is some variance, as there is no brightness standard. But from Wikipedia it seems that 1000 Lumen low and 1650 Lumen high beam per headlight is common. So I would say brighter than a single car headlight, even on high. Of course you can buy brighter headlights.

"The first dual-filament halogen bulb to produce both a low and a high beam, the H4 (60/55 W @ 12 V, 1650/1000 lm ±15% @ 13.2 V),[56] was released in 1971[14] and quickly became the predominant headlamp bulb throughout the world except in the United States, where the H4 is still not legal for automotive use. In 1989, the Americans created their own standard for a bulb called HB2: almost identical to H4 except with more stringent constraints on filament geometry and positional variance,[57][58] and power consumption and light output expressed at the US test voltage of 12.8V.[59]"

zerostyle

Newly Enlightened
What's everyone's opinion of the best beam profile for a headlamp that would be used for both around the home and camping?

Torn between the H53Fc (90deg all flood) and the H53c (80deg flood + 12deg hotspot). The throw might be nice while camping, but I feel a hotspot gets in the way when you are doing any kind of close up work or indoors.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the "f" series the best. There still is some hotspot but I find it to be blended and less of a "bouncing ball" effect. I generally use floody lights, when I need more throw I take a thrower along.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I typically only use a headlamp for things which are close: setting up tent, cooking/washing dishes, etc. My favorite beam profile is my H600Fc as it is perfect for things within arm's reach. If I want throw I'll go for a handheld light.

terjee

Enlightened
Torn between the H53Fc (90deg all flood) and the H53c (80deg flood + 12deg hotspot). The throw might be nice while camping, but I feel a hotspot gets in the way when you are doing any kind of close up work or indoors.

Personally I think the Fc has a much nicer bean profile, for both indoors and outdoors. What the H53Fc lacks though, is a bit of range, as you already touch on. It's about 270-something lumens for less than an hour, and spread over a wide field, that's not a lot.

If possible (considering both budget and weight), I'd really like to recommend you consider the H600Fc as well. It'll give you more light for longer, sort of giving you best of both. A H53Fc could be added later as well, giving you a lighter light for indoors, and a very good backup for outdoors.

If you want to stick with AA, I think the H53Fc is the one I'd go with. The beam profile is much nicer indoor/up close, and while it doesn't have a lot of range it has some advantages outdoors as well, such as with regards to bouncy ball.

Last edited:

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the H600Fc. I sold my H600w, which was great, but the Fc is absolutely perfect. I just puts beautiful light wherever you are looking. It has plenty of output for 99% of your needs.

Personally I think the Fc has a much nicer bean profile, for both indoors and outdoors. What the H53Fc lacks though, is a bit of range, as you already touch on. It's about 270-something lumens for less than an hour, and spread over a wide field, that's not a lot.

If possible (considering both budget and weight), I'd really like to recommend you consider the H600Fc as well. It'll give you more light for longer, sort of giving you best of both. A H53Fc could be added later as well, giving you a lighter light for indoors, and a very good backup for outdoors.

If you want to stick with AA, I think the H53Fc is the one I'd go with. The beam profile is much nicer indoor/up close, and while it doesn't have a lot of range it has some advantages outdoors as well, such as with regards to bouncy ball.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's everyone's opinion of the best beam profile for a headlamp that would be used for both around the home and camping?

I prefer flood type headlamps. Headlamps I find are normally for short to medium distances. Throw is for your flashlight if needed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer flood type headlamps. Headlamps I find are normally for short to medium distances. Throw is for your flashlight if needed.

For walking, I agree. But I sometimes use a Zebra (non-frosted) headlight when I cycle, especially in wooded areas. Great for looking around and seeing stuff off the main trail, and a little throw is important for seeing stuff before you pass it.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC64c: First Thoughts

As far as I could tell, this was not currently available in the United Kingdom, so I ordered directly from Zebralight. With free, tracked shipping and its value under-declared for customs, it came in at a shade under £70, which is astonishing value in the UK.

It came in familiar, environmentally friendly packaging, whcih was good to see. However, let's get the bad news out of the way first. I unscrewed the cap and it didn't have that same quality feel to the motion as my Zebralight SC52d. On closer inspection, I found that it was a triangular thread, not a trapezoidal thread as in my SC52d. I'm sure it is perfectly adequate, I've just been spoiled in my expectations with the SC52d. Anyway, I threw an Efest IMR18650 and carried on.

From then on though, it is nothing but good news. I was quite taken aback by the size of that emitter. However, that emitter, used in a mule-type beam is just outstanding. So much light! Such a smooth beam. I love the colour temperature, and whilst there is the faintest touch of yellow tint to it, this is actually to my taste, so very pleased.

Another nice surprise that I didn't realise the light had until I turned it off is the glow-in-the-dark emitter surround. It just makes so much sense to use what would otherwise be dead space in a mule for such a useful purpose.

The Zebralight interface is fantastic, as always. Within seconds I had it all programmed up the way I like, with the lowest possible moonlight setting. It's not quite as dim as moonlight on an SC52d, but with a more powerful, more efficient emitter, this is to be expected, and it is far dimmer than 'moonlight' from many other makers, so it is another fantastic result from Zebralight.

Yet to use it as a headlight, but everything looks great so far.

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened

I own an H53c and an H600Fc. I prefer the F optics for pretty much all uses – I find the floody beam more pleasant for short to medium range use, and the compromise in throw isn't significant. I put some DC-fix window diffuser on my H53c, and now the beam is more like, but still not quite as a nice, as my H600Fc. My next AA Zebralight will be the H54Fc or H55Fc…

fonfan

Enlightened
There are two defects on reflector surface in my SC5c II. Zebralight quality can to be different.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
For walking, I agree. But I sometimes use a Zebra (non-frosted) headlight when I cycle, especially in wooded areas. Great for looking around and seeing stuff off the main trail, and a little throw is important for seeing stuff before you pass it.

Completely agree. The faster you are moving, the further you need to see for sure.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont think there is right now, the sc32w is showing out of stock and not sure what plans they have down the line. What i will say, the sc64 is super compact and actually the size of a typical 16340 light! Of course if using cr123 cells is the end game, not much help.

Even the larger sc600 lights are only a little bigger than HDS
Y2077EWl.jpg

sc63w/PR/HDS
RMxBh64l.jpg

fhv28lSl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the photos ven. Just goes to show what a great job Zebralight make of keeping things compact.

Thanks Mike, pretty amazing really how they make such a compact light. Few things impress me along with size, the UI, anodising, and PID how it regulates the output. So smooth.............

Couple more pics, 1st the sc600 and sc63w which shows how compact next to the tiny E1e .
KcsuXzml.jpg

Then an all 16340/CR123 line up with 2 x 18650 ZL's for size
lQJf34vl.jpg