The Official Zebralight Thread .

crashmidget

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first Zebraight, and SC62 and I absolutely love it. I have a lot of lights but for EDC you can't beat it. FYI, I got it 3 days after I ordered it although it
was listed as backordered....I guess you never know with ZL

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Derek. I'm starting an experiment putting the H53c to the test as an all around daily\nightly flashlight\headlamp. Working out well so far. Takes some getting used to grip and aim wise but not too bad. Also I've found it pretty quick to pop in and out of the head strap.
Nope. To much of a hassle taking it out of the strap, and I've always got a few other regular Zebras on hand, so it's just not necessary.

I will say this though, I waited quite a while to get my first headlamp, thinking it's usefulness would be limited, but once I got it, I found myself reaching for it more and more as I began to realize how incredibly useful it is to have both hands free and the light always aimed right where I'm looking.

I'll bet you find the same thing. But with all that said, I still use my regular ZLs nightly on my job, where a headlamp just wouldn't work as well.

TomK85

Newly Enlightened
Really happy with my SC600 & H53. Both are floody's. Still thinking about the Sc700. Already here that has some experience with the floody version?

Keitho

Enlightened
Subjectively to me, the size differences are pretty even spacing, SC64 to SC60x to SC700. Since a SC64 rides in my pocket most days, the SC600x's seem a bit too big for EDC use, and the SC700 seems way too big (esp. the head) for my EDC use. But, my suburban-warrior skinny jeans and khakis differ from people with more a more practical wardrobe, so I bet that the SC700 will end up in lots of pockets due to runtime, efficiency (for a high-CRI LED), heat management, and beam. It has a very even beam, no defined hotspot; so, I use it on my bicycle handlebar (compliments an SC64 on my helmet) for conspicuity and lighting while commuting on paved paths and suburban neighborhood roads.

I think the ZL product comparison spreadsheet has a 2nd 21700 model, so we'll soon have two larger-battery models to choose from. If they ever come up with an SC70 (small-as-possible version of the SC700), I'll reach into my cramped little office-worker pocket to throw my wallet at it pretty fast!

Last edited:

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Well now, my SC5w II had an almost RIP today.
My kid decided to toss it from 15 foot high terrace, and it started blinking, plus eneloop started rattling inside.
In the end, only the battery paid by shrinking a bit from the fall.
After putting a new one in, as good as new :)
Here's the damage on the flashlight itself:
2b10c8842448141fde6f8ce234a84b5b.jpg

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koristeći Tapatalk

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see that they can take a shot like a champ. Run4jc had a great post years back documenting some zebralight torture. He threw it around pretty good and the light was fine. I got my first zebralight headlamp and must say I'm loving the thing. Works just fine for me as a stand alone flashlight and of course has the additional utility as a headlamp. Size approaches a AAA light as well. H53c is an excellent light and exceedingly versatile. Once again a Zebralight has relegated other lights to the box in the closet for a little timeout.

Last edited:

NuisanceValue

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have one of the H503c lights that can share their impressions of it?
Yes, it's a bit of a curate's egg: parts of it are excellent. But (and it's a big but) there's a quite a broad green ring around the edge of the beam. I don't find this a problem outdoors really, but inside and at short ranges the difference between how things look in the centre of the beam and at the edge is massive.

I was really excited when they announced it as I have an h502d that I like, but have always found it's not quite bright enough for outdoor use unless on H1, which has quite a short runtime. Also, I wanted the new UI so I have access to moonlight via a short click.

So, ignoring the green ring, I love it as the high CRI really does make a difference, colours look great in the centre of the beam and runtimes are better. However, as a task light for DIY etc I don't really like it as I just can't ignore the green ring. To be fair the h502d has one too, but it's really thin in comparison, much less of a sickly green, and overall less noticeable.

So I'd like to ask if anyone's got the 503w, and for the impressions of it. Does it have a better beam pattern? I'd give up some CRI to avoid catching sight of things at the edge of the beam (like my hands) turning an awful green colour. Hope that helps.

MKayze

Newly Enlightened
anyone have a video comparison of the SC600w Mk IV Plus and the SC600Fd version? Can't decide between the two for edc.

Last edited:

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
If your EDC needs aren't much past 100' or so I'd get the Fd. It's a light you really don't have to aim and provides one of the most useful beams in any flashlight for normal use.

The Fd still reaches out pretty good for thing's like walking the dog in the neighborhood because it reaches out pretty well with sheer output for 99% of my needs.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC, you might want to try something smaller than the SC600 series. The SC64w HI is a nice choice for a bit of throw, or the regular SC64w for a more traditional beam. The SC64c and SC64c LE are a high CRI version (a bit less output, but nicer colors).

Unfortunately, if you want the frosted lens, I think you only have the SC600 option, with the Fd or Fc Plus. It's do-able as an EDC, but you'll notice it in your pocket.

You could go smaller with a AA light, like the SC53Fc. But you won't get the high output and long runtimes. It's good indoors, and at fairly close distances outdoors.

MKayze

Newly Enlightened
If your EDC needs aren't much past 100' or so I'd get the Fd. It's a light you really don't have to aim and provides one of the most useful beams in any flashlight for normal use.

The Fd still reaches out pretty good for thing's like walking the dog in the neighborhood because it reaches out pretty well with sheer output for 99% of my needs.

For EDC, you might want to try something smaller than the SC600 series. The SC64w HI is a nice choice for a bit of throw, or the regular SC64w for a more traditional beam. The SC64c and SC64c LE are a high CRI version (a bit less output, but nicer colors).

Unfortunately, if you want the frosted lens, I think you only have the SC600 option, with the Fd or Fc Plus. It's do-able as an EDC, but you'll notice it in your pocket.

You could go smaller with a AA light, like the SC53Fc. But you won't get the high output and long runtimes. It's good indoors, and at fairly close distances outdoors.

I was considering the SC64W HI because of the size but I just like 5000k better. Although I really like the size of the SC64w. Decisions, decisions lol

MKayze

Newly Enlightened

Hey quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on the SC64W HI but I'm just curious how long can the SC64W HI sustain 500-700 lumens without dropping down compare to a SC600W IV Plus?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey quick question, I'm about to pull the trigger on the SC64W HI but I'm just curious how long can the SC64W HI sustain 500-700 lumens without dropping down compare to a SC600W IV Plus?

If you hold the SC64w HI in your hand to absorb the heat, it will stay at the 500 lumen mode indefinitely. If it's tail-standing at room temperature, I think it's somewhere around 10-15 minutes. The 600w Plus seems to stay at its 700 lumen mode indefinitely.

On hot nights, subtract some time. On cool nights, add some. By the time you're down into cold winter nights, you can run the lights on full output indefinitely.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you hold the SC64w HI in your hand to absorb the heat, it will stay at the 500 lumen mode indefinitely. If it's tail-standing at room temperature, I think it's somewhere around 10-15 minutes. The 600w Plus seems to stay at its 700 lumen mode indefinitely.

On hot nights, subtract some time. On cool nights, add some. By the time you're down into cold winter nights, you can run the lights on full output indefinitely.
Yep. I think the SC64 is a better value, because the output and flood of the SC600 is only nominally greater. The SC64 is more convenient to hold and carry. Just the right size.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 2019 I bought only a one Zebralight (headlamp)
I'm thinking of a new light, I normally use little the hand_torches but I was thinking about the SC600w MK4.
I already own an old SC600 MKII L2 - looking at the technical specifications there is a nice improvement but I would like to know if you think it is advantageous to make the purchase.
Has anyone ever upgraded from MKII to MK4? Is the difference very obvious?
Thanks for any thoughts

NPL

Enlightened
I think it depends on what you want from the light. The sc600w hi will probably be a nice upgrade for clean good tint and more throw, and the sc600w plus or sc600fd or fc will give you more flood, better color rendering and more output.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I'm not interested in other versions of the SC600, I think the "standard" version (SC600w) XHP35 is the right one for me.
It should be a great balance, I don't need to launch and if I want to see it right up close I have a lot of headlamps,
I was just wondering if those 400 more lumens (compared to the old MKII L2) are so obvious in practical use, probably yes .. I also like the fact that H2 can be 875 lumens - maybe someone in the forum has bought more versions of the same light and can you tell me this.
I have read that the HI versions have a better tint but I hope to have luck with the traditional version.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the big reason to upgrade is the fact that the driver is now programmable. If that's a feature you would use then I'd say go for it.

NPL

Enlightened
The mk4 programable UI is a nice upgrade, but if you have older Zebralights and new ones like me, you might find it confusing to have the order of low medium high different from one light to another. Simpler to keep them all with the same UI, which defaults to MK3 and older lights.
The newest lights appear to be overstating the lumen output, as I recall people measuring the lumens to be closer to 1100 and not 1400. Not sure you will have many benefits upgrading to the mk4 of the same model.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app