The Official Zebralight Thread .

StagMoose

Enlightened
The Malkoff may have more throw, but that's it. Malkoff MDC AA at 90 lumens has a runtime of 1 hour. The SC5 at 92 lumens has 4.9 hours of runtime. Malkoff AA at 9 lumens has 18 hours, SC5 at 8.6 lumens has 48 hours. Malkoff AA at 0.3 lumens has 200 hours, SC5 has 1200 hours. Like you said, APPLES TO ORANGES.

Right, I guess the point I was making is the the Zebralight even with its higher lumen output, doesn't provide as much useable light. The 90 lumens of the Malkoff is more useful than the 500 of the Zebralight. The 8 lumens on low mode is more useful than most of the middle range modes of the Zebralight and it will produce them for about a day.

The lights are apples/ oranges. But in use as a flashlight there is a performance advantage to the Malkoff in my use. I have not tested a Zebralight to see if it reaches its claims, but regarding the useablility of its output, that was the point. The Zebralight has little more than mule level beam profile at given lumens in comparison to the Malkoff.

Not saying one is bad, but an observation gathered from use. I can try and take some pictures of this as I found it interesting and surprising myself.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Malkoff 1xAA and ended up selling it. The lumens spacing was not right, was either too bright or too dim. The beam was too narrow. As a utility light it must have a broad beam like the SF Titan AAA does.
My ZL SC 52&53 have great spot and flood combination.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, I guess the point I was making is the the Zebralight even with its higher lumen output, doesn't provide as much useable light. The 90 lumens of the Malkoff is more useful than the 500 of the Zebralight.

I hate pencil beams, and the tunnel vision that throwers give. For an EDC, I absolutely require some flood.

Jeffg0330

Newly Enlightened
I hate pencil beams, and the tunnel vision that throwers give. For an EDC, I absolutely require some flood.
+1 for needing some EDC flood here too. I'm guessing StagMoose needs lights to reach out for his specific purpose. I'd be interested to see the pics if you take them. BTW has anyone noticed this thread hit 100 pages? Pretty cool

StagMoose

Enlightened
I tend to use floody headlamps for anything close up or for walking in the woods. I pair that with a more throwy hand held light. I don't find Pencil beams useful and outside of Mag Lights don't have any.

So while the AA zebra lights are very good at what they do, their usefulness to me is limited as my headlamp makes them redundant.

Not to say they are bad, as I really like Zebralights for a number of reasons. I'm just glad we have so many options in lighting to choose from.

I live in a rural area with a lot of farmland, so seeing far away across fields is generally important. Most lights i carry need to be able to throw a minimum of 50 yds with useful light.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm using a headlamp, I'll carry a C8 for throw. I'm not sure why you'd only want 90 lumens if you need to reach out far. Either it's painting a small dot, or it's just not going to reach far anyway. I want at least 1000 lumens in a thrower. That gives some useful throw, without being so narrow it's useless. C8 is great for balancing throw and the size of the light.

If I could only carry 1 outdoor light, it would be the SC600w MkIV HI. It's a great combination of throw, but still enough flood it can be used up close too. Not great indoors, but it's a fantastic all-purpose outdoor EDC.

StagMoose

Enlightened
The 1AA MDC isn't a thrower. Maybe I have the wrong impression, but I carry that as a backup light or in a pack.

Prefer a M61HOT or Surefire EDCL/ LX2 with a more modern head for a smaller carry light. Generally also take a Hound Dog of some flavor.

Apologies for the confusion.

mcantu

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little disappointed in Zebralight right now. I ordered an SC64c LE on 6/7 with Priority Mail shipping even though I only live 3 hours away from them. They printed a shipping label on 6/8 and now it's been 3 business days and it still hasn't hit the USPS

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little disappointed in Zebralight right now. I ordered an SC64c LE on 6/7 with Priority Mail shipping even though I only live 3 hours away from them. They printed a shipping label on 6/8 and now it's been 3 business days and it still hasn't hit the USPS

Have you contacted them? That doesn't seem right at all. I just placed an order with them yesterday and it is already in transit. I hope they get everything sorted out for you.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be USPS. I've had an order stuck in USPS limbo since May 26. The mail system is s**t nowadays. The only luck I've had is from Amazon, because they don't use the public mail system.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I have really been enjoying my H53w! It has a lot more throw than I expected. The beam color is just about perfect as well. Still waiting on my h600w. The sc52 I picked up on the exchange took a month to get to NYC and is now finally moving in my direction. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. The h600w will most likely be here next month. I am excited to test it out also! Especially against the h53w.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast