The Official Zebralight Thread .

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought and received a H604d. The ring around the button is different from other new ZLs I have received before, and is different from what they have in their pictures of all headlights. It is not shiny and does not have the 45 degree slope. It is not as comfortable to press the button (but I might get used to it). I have only seen this type of button ring on a H302w I got back from ZL warranty service a couple of years ago.

ZL-Button.jpg

I emailed ZL asking about the button ring and they said "We changed the switch/button ring design of our headlamps 2 or 3 years ago.".

Is this reply consistent with what you have received from ZL? If you have bought a new HL from ZL in the past 2-3 years, did it have this matte ring or the shiny 45 degree kind?

Thanks!
Steve

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've been info flashlights for a couple decades now. I've always heard of ZL, but only purchased my 1st one a few weeks ago. My main reason for giving ZL any serious consideration was the very dim firefly mode I've always ready about. Also, the UI had always seem to get high marks.

I spent many days and hours researching offings. I originally wanted a 1xAA format, but quickly learned that none of them support 14500 lithium-ion cells. So, owning 18650 lights, that's what I focused on next. ZL claims to have some of the smallest 18650 based lights available.

I ended up getting the SC64w HI, because it seems to meet my needs of an EDC as far as a balance of throw and spill. I was disappointed to learn that only flat-top unprotected cells can fit in the light. I would have sacrificed an additional 1/4 inch in length for its ability to fit any and all 18650 cells. Damn, for less than $25, I can but a Convoy S2+ or Sofirn SP31 v2.0 that will handle any 18650 I put in there. Anyway, I purchased the ZL and some unprotected flat-top 3500 mAH cells.

So far, I've been very pleased with the light. I love the tint and the UI. I've been EDCing since I got it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

the sc62 will take a button top protected 18650 cell.

it's an older light but still very bright

have to order straight from ZL site... most dealers are out of stock on it

http://www.zebralight.com/SC62-18650-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_147.html

1000 lumens
takes 69mm cell length

I run a variety of flat top and button tops. no problems. Diameter can be a little snug with a protected cell due to 2 layers of shrink wrap.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally wanted a 1xAA format, but quickly learned that none of them support 14500 lithium-ion cells.

Assuming the Zebralight AA lights did accept 14500 Li-ion, because the modes are regulated, output would be identical to running an AA. I believe the older SC52 did accept 14500, but the AA-only Zebralights have higher max brightnesses. It has been suggested that 14500 would give those highest modes longer runtime and more consistent output than an AA, so one would have to decide just how much they'd be running those highest modes to say 14500 is essential and lack of support a dealbreaker. I use 14500 in other lights, but I personally see no reason the AA Zebralights should support 14500. But I would fight to the death to defend your right to decide for yourself, I just saw a possibility you might not have considered everything.

Diameter can be a little snug with a protected cell due to 2 layers of shrink wrap.

I understand this_is_nascar may already have protected cells, so still good info, but I just wanted to point out Zebralights have built-in low voltage protection, so a protection circuit on an ICR is not necessary and/or redundant. Redundancy can be a good thing. But I would run IMR or INR before ICR. I think some prefer to have the negligible extra capacity of ICR. But capacities have gone up for most chemistries in the last few years. And its 18650 were talking about, so just how many weeks of runtime does anyone need on one cell? I think beyond making it to and through the weekend is just overkill.

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
" I believe the older SC52 did accept 14500, but the AA-only Zebralights have higher max brightnesses."

AA: 300 lumens
LiIon: 540 lumens

It's WAY brighter in person, and I love it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the responses. I've since gotten passed any desire to own a AA based ZL. I have enough AA lights, I'd I ever decided to dedicate myself to that platform. I've since ordered several of those red labeled 18650s from the ZL sure and gave been doing fine.

I EDC my SC64w HI. I've since purchased another one as a spare, an SC64c LE and an SC600w MK IV HI.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've since gotten passed any desire to own a AA based ZL. I have enough AA lights, I'd I ever decided to dedicate myself to that platform.

Too impractical? I find this actually relatively common near-fanatical devotion to Li-ion formats (esp. with CPFers) hard to understand. I am chemistry and format agnostic, (NiMH, Li-FeS2, even Alkaline or Super Heavy Duty if that is all that is available, IFR, INR, IMR, ICR; AAA, AA, 2/3AA, 10180, 10440, 14500, CR123A, 16340, 18500, 18650, etc.) whatever it takes, you know?) and see there's a right tool for the right job. But throwing ZL AA in with other AA lights, as just another AA light is sort of missing the tree for the forests, overlooking that the ZL AA draws 5 amps in turbo. I seriously doubt any other AA draws more than 1 or 2 amps. That makes a big difference. But I do understand that sometimes 475Lm - 550Lm is just not enough lumens for many, and I admit that during the day, outside in the shade, that output is only barely adequate for close range stuff. If it is not enough lumens for most tasks at 3am on a moonless night up to 30 yards, then I am very grateful for my eyes. Some CPFers have very stringent requirements, like the CPF member that has to inspect airplanes and uses a 3A FM1794, and I just use that for fun, like waking up fish sleeping in the underwater docklight currents at 5AM.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA zebralights are plenty bright enough for most uses, but a AA cell only has about a quarter the energy of a 18650 cell. So, I prefer the AA zebras for indoors, and the 18650's for outdoors (because I don't want to carry a spare battery on a long walk).

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
(because I don't want to carry a spare battery on a long walk).

Either you're walking too far or too brightly! Or maybe you're not carrying enough flashlights. Bring it down to 144Lm and walk less than 2 hours and 48 minutes, or down to 40Lm and walk less than 9 hours and 36 minutes.

But definitely don't give up the 18650 stuff... not what I meant.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either you're walking too far or too brightly! Or maybe you're not carrying enough flashlights. Bring it down to 144Lm and walk less than 2 hours and 48 minutes, or down to 40Lm and walk less than 9 hours and 36 minutes.

Well, I use regular Eneloops, so cut that time down by 25%. But, yeah, I know that a single AA is good enough for many hours at my usual brightness (which is about 25-50 lumens). However, I also like to pump it up to max and check out things in the distance. Mainly for fun. But a few minutes of that, and the SC5w seriously begins to deplete a AA cell. I just don't want to have to limit myself. 18650 gives me plenty of run-time at whatever output I want.

I use my SC52's and SC5w indoors, mainly as room lighting. At about 100 lumens, they'll last about 3 hours on an Eneloop, which is enough time to watch a movie. TV is much better with ceiling-bounced dim-ish light.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like to pump it up to max and check out things in the distance.

I probably knew that, but it is nice to chat sometimes.

I use my SC52's and SC5w indoors, mainly as room lighting.

I thought I was the only one that did this. Installed lighting is nice, but you could not call it "fun." Besides the ceiling lights in this rental, I only have one actual lamp. For the last few years, I was using a couple 2xAA Outsoorsman with z68s and Elite heads. Since the SC5c II arrived last week, it has been just that. Zebralight makes a fantastic room lamp. And then when I have to move, it is effortless to get flashlights to the new place. My folks had a lot of lamps, and we moved a lot. When you carry a porcelain lamp, you can't carry anything else, so it is a lot of trips from the house to the truck, then from the truck to the new house.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Too impractical? I find this actually relatively common near-fanatical devotion to Li-ion formats (esp. with CPFers) hard to understand. I am chemistry and format agnostic, (NiMH, Li-FeS2, even Alkaline or Super Heavy Duty if that is all that is available, IFR, INR, IMR, ICR; AAA, AA, 2/3AA, 10180, 10440, 14500, CR123A, 16340, 18500, 18650, etc.) whatever it takes, you know?) and see there's a right tool for the right job. But throwing ZL AA in with other AA lights, as just another AA light is sort of missing the tree for the forests, overlooking that the ZL AA draws 5 amps in turbo. I seriously doubt any other AA draws more than 1 or 2 amps. That makes a big difference. But I do understand that sometimes 475Lm - 550Lm is just not enough lumens for many, and I admit that during the day, outside in the shade, that output is only barely adequate for close range stuff. If it is not enough lumens for most tasks at 3am on a moonless night up to 30 yards, then I am very grateful for my eyes. Some CPFers have very stringent requirements, like the CPF member that has to inspect airplanes and uses a 3A FM1794, and I just use that for fun, like waking up fish sleeping in the underwater docklight currents at 5AM.
Thanks, but I guess I don't understand the point you're attempting to make. I stopped purchases lights just to leave sitting on a shelf years ago. The few lights I have left are what I consider my lights that I will use. I can't imagine why I'd want a ZL AA based light, when I consider all the other lights u have at my disposal.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
To NASCAR's point, I have a AA ZebraLight that basically sits on a shelf. I have two others that I mainly use: SC64w HI and H600Fc. That's about the extent of my collection, if you don't consider my gf's headlamp that I gave her.

Climb14er

Enlightened
The SC52cw is one of my favorite lights! Usually run 14500's, can run Eneloops, AA Lithiums, AA Duracells, any other over the counter Standard AA. Great for traveling, use it a lot for inside the house. Tremendous all around function.

markr6

Flashaholic
Just trying to ferret out that you and others need brighter and/or longer running lights than AA can provide, at least that is what I was obtusely missing when I commented.

For me it's stuff like backpacking trips. I COULD get by with an AA, but for about 1oz penalty why chance it. One time I was doing my usual nighttime stuff on low or medium...would have lasted well past the trip length. But I came upon a cave a decided to check that out. Those big dark spaces sure eat up lumens! I was running on high for at least an hour. I never would have had fun with an AA. Just one example.

I have an old Fenix PD32UE on my bike, use it almost daily. An AA wouldn't get the job done there either.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want an SC700d. They don't give runtimes, product page just reads "3000 Lm (PID, approx. hours)." I wish I had a reason for it, because except for brief tests to be amazed at its brightness, it would just sit around. I would never use the runtime. I like that I use up AA capacity, and I cherish my collection of Eneloops. I actually like swapping cells... it is a neat activity. Maybe if Eneloops did not exist... then I probably wouldn't touch AAA/AA lights.

But I also love my Keeppower 1200mAh 18350's. They make single incan E really worthwhile for me. I also use them to run FM1794... still short runtimes, but plenty of it because I have no reason for it. I don't know what I'd do without these Keeppowers (other than abuse 16340s).

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering getting the SC700d for my bike, just for the extra run-time that a 5000mAh cell would give me. Currently, I use the SC600w IV Plus, with 3500mAh cells. That gives me almost 3 hours at 700 lumens. Almost good enough, but I usually put in a new cell half-way through my ride, because I don't want to cut it too close. I think a SC700d might allow me to just use a single cell (I'd carry a spare anyway, just in case).

So, there are cases where even a 18650 doesn't have enough capacity, even if you're not using high modes just for fun.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
So, between the SC53c and SC53w, is the only difference the CRI, thus impacting total output? I didn't see anything else different on the ZL spreadsheet.

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
Is there a 5100 mAh unprotected cell that will properly fit and work in the ZL SC700d? Seems wrong that we can only use the 4000 in this

I use a Samsung 50E (5000mAh) exclusively in the SC700d without any problems. Outside I mostly use H2 at 945 lumens, with occasional burst of H1 when I want to see farther. Works great!