The Official Zebralight Thread .

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Trick Indeed!!!

This is one of my SC64w Hi versions, that's been my EDC since owning it. I continue to try and trick it out, so it better meet my needs.

My 1st addition was the magnet. It holds pretty well, but I do want to find a greyish colored marker or something, so it blends in a bit better. My 2nd thing was wrapping a piece of D-C Fix around the 18650 for those few times that I want or need to smooth out the hotspot.

My 3rd and most recent modification was to install this green tritium glow vial, which allows an easier means to find the light on my dresser.

4db6ba12220e5f5b574cdd0113c8e562.jpg
e415839ff0a3cc36e18fd66c39c69cf4.jpg
96a05434979b1303f3e7b523be6589c4.jpg
ae8501b50fd6cc3edc8b61ce77f8423c.jpg
c5df6e4337677e3a909c9898b4d733ee.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened
Hello This_is_nascar. Like the changes. The magnet would be the most useful for me. I have bought a variety of neodymium magnets from All Electronics (which I've dealt with for decades) in the past and they do their job well, very hard to remove if layed flat on a metal surface. But none of them were round magnets. I do see they offer a 1" dia x 1/8 thick magnet and a 20mm x 4mm one with a countersunk hole to mount it with a screw. Is yours neodymium? Who did you buy it from if it's a neodymium magnet?

Shooter21

Enlightened
For some reason my 18650 zebra light steps down at 75 percent from max to low after running for a short time in cold weather.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason my 18650 zebra light steps down at 75 percent from max to low after running for a short time in cold weather.

Yup. I've brought up this problem, before. In my case, it affects all my zebras using the XHP35 HI emitter. It turns off from H1, in cold weather. That's what you get when you try to use a light in cold weather, that was designed and tested in Texas summer. Lots of others have complained about this problem, too. They clearly have a driver design problem with some of their models.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yup. I've brought up this problem, before. In my case, it affects all my zebras using the XHP35 HI emitter. It turns off from H1, in cold weather. That's what you get when you try to use a light in cold weather, that was designed and tested in Texas summer. Lots of others have complained about this problem, too. They clearly have a driver design problem with some of their models.
Damn. Just when I calmed down from learning about one issue, I learn of another one.

How widespread is this?

Netter1283

Newly Enlightened
How have people attached the magnets? I was thinking silicone since it could probably be removed with some effort, unlike epoxy which would be more or less permanent.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
How have people attached the magnets? I was thinking silicone since it could probably be removed with some effort, unlike epoxy which would be more or less permanent.
Gorilla Glue Clear. I was going to put some gray duct tape on the shinny surface, but it took too much holding power away.

dydx

Newly Enlightened
Damn. Just when I calmed down from learning about one issue, I learn of another one.

How widespread is this?

Yep my H6000c Mk IV with XHP50.2 drops down in about 2 seconds in below freezing weather.

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide between the sc700d or the SC600w Mark IV Plus. Some people say the sc700d is too floody! At the point that the spill it's annoying because it's too bright.
I would use the light for an "all purpose light" so outdoor and indoor. Working around the house and walking the dog in the woods close where I live.

Inviato dal mio Mi 9T utilizzando Tapatalk

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I can't decide between the sc700d or the SC600w Mark IV Plus. Some people say the sc700d is too floody! At the point that the spill it's annoying because it's too bright.
I would use the light for an "all purpose light" so outdoor and indoor. Working around the house and walking the dog in the woods close where I live.

2-different battery types, if that's a consideration.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yep my H6000c Mk IV with XHP50.2 drops down in about 2 seconds in below freezing weather.
I don't keep any of my ZLs in the outdoors. My SC64w Hi EDC stays on my person, so I may never run into this situation, but it sucks that the condition is present.

NPL

Enlightened
I wonder if the cold weather issue would persist if a cold specific battery was used. There are some lithium ion 18650 with less capacity designed for colder weather use.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
2-different battery types, if that's a consideration.

No I don't mind the different battery. I would have loved an hi version but right now in europe I can't find any. Now Nkon have this models available and I was thinking of getting one.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fespe, I have both lights, and I use them both, frequently. I use the SC600 mk IV+ at work, because it's smaller, lighter, and fits easily in my front left pocket, which makes for quick one handed retrieval and use. The beam is reasonably floody, but there is a strong yellow color to the corona around the central spot, so I've added some diffusion material to the front glass, which helps even that out and gives me a nice even flood.

I use the SC700d as my around-the-house light. It's a bodaciously good light. It goes both dimmer AND brighter than the SC600 IV+, AND it's got a high CRI LED, which is very important to a picky flashaholic like me. I also like that it's larger battery gives me more runtime, and the slightly larger size gives it a heft that feels very nice in the hand. I will say this, though, that extra heft might start to feel "heavy" after holding the light for an extended period of time, say an hour or so. For my uses, it's typically just quick uses here and there around the house, and for having on the nightstand by my bed at night (the lowest level is perfect for navigating to the bathroom late at night). I've tried using the SC700d as an EDC, but it's to large for my front pants pocket, however, it does work fine in a coat pocket.

Comparing the beams, I'd day they are similar, with the SC700d having a slightly more defined central spot, but honestly, they are similar enough that I wouldn't use that as a criteria for choosing one over the other, but rather base it on size, battery life, etc, with the SC600 IV+ being smaller and lighter, and therfore more EDC friendly, and the SC700d having more runtime, a lower low and higher high, and having the high CRI LED.

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well said Derek Dean. I also have both and concur on all points. I also have the SC600w MKIV HI version. I prefer to carry the HI on workdays as I find the more intense hot-spot and slightly less flood/spill gives me a SLIGHT edge in my job as an auditor/inspector. The SC600w MK IV+ I prefer for general non workday EDC. And the 700d is my go to around the house and farm...when I don't need a long range light.

I would also add if someone would make a really nice Kydex belt holster for the 700d I'd probably try carrying it....but not in the pocket like my 600s

Last edited:

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!
I'm about to purchase a Zebralight SC700d but can't decide on a battery for it. I was recommended a Keeppower 21700 (protected) 5000 mAh - 10A. Has anyone used this in their SC700d? Is there a better choice for it and if yes - which one and why?
Thanks in advance!
:)

WebHobbit

Enlightened
ZLs don't work with protected cells. They require a flat top unprotected batt. I use the Samsung 50E in mine. These are like $6.50 at BatteryJunction

Fespe

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Derek Dean and WebHobbit! Yes I would definitely like the high CRI but I would have preferred a little warmer around 4000k.
That said I think I'm going to try the sc700d just because is new (and longer battery life) and worst case scenario I will keep it as an house light. I'm going to wait a couple of days to be sure! Thank again for the tip, really helpful!!