The Official Zebralight Thread .

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Are you all running these lights on nimh batteries only?
The SC5 and SC53 series, yes nimh only though I stuck a 14500 in the SC53c before based on threads here saying it would be fine, just to test it out. The SC52 series get some 14500s when I feel like running them. I'm happy to have the programming. That way I can have 1 click medium instead of high. For my uses nimh is plenty sufficient.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC64 is so small that I use them if I want something more powerful than 2Ah AAs. 18650s have amazingly more energy than NiMH AA ;)
I don't trust the 52 or 53's battery terminals (and crush pressure) with 14500, personally.
Only light I'm happy to put them in is the FWAA. Just amazing for tiny lumens.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pure beast. SC600w XHP35 HI
IMG_8525.jpeg
IMG_8528.jpeg
IMG_8530.jpeg

IMG_8534.jpeg

Last edited:

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
Congrats!
thats the one I would pick too

fwiw, here is a rundown on the issues and details related to using 14500 LiIon.
I like the non-floody version for running to prevent blinding my running partners.

I think the issues mentioned with 14500s could be fine for my use case (~1 hr run time, only on highest setting, charge after each use). Plus, the 14500s are cheap enough that if I damage one by over discharging it, it might be ok.

I just finished my first capacity test of the Vapcell F12. 1332 mAh down to 3.0V. Wow! That's likely close to 4.9 WHr. 60% more than Eneloop Pros, while weighing 10g less.

I'll do a runtime test on my Zebralight H52 next.

1684518464404.png

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great! I bought 6 and it's all I'm using in the 53's now.
What amp hour did you hit the F12 with in the test and get 1332. I thought they would come in over the rated 1250...

I just finished my first capacity test of the Vapcell F12. 1332 mAh down to 3.0V. Wow! That's likely close to 4.9 WHr. 60% more than Eneloop Pros, while weighing 10g less.

Asked Zebralight for an update on Pre-sale or announcement on SC64 Hi 719a and all they would say is We'll annouce it in June.
They misspelled announce so who knows!

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
What amp hour did you hit the F12 with in the test and get 1332. I thought they would come in over the rated 1250...

Asked Zebralight for an update on Pre-sale or announcement on SC64 Hi 719a and all they would say is We'll annouce it in June.
I tested at 0.2A discharge. Pretty conservative to get the highest possible capacity reading and match my previous tests. I probably should test at 1A, which is close to what the headlamp will run them at.

TimMc

Newly Enlightened

We'll probably see more flashlight manufacturers use Nichia 719A this year.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
It's been a long time since I've posted here, nice to catch up!

Got an H53c N to replace my H53c from 2017 (my first ZL!) and wanted to share. My first flashlight purchase since late 2019 aside from a Convoy. Part of me already regrets selling the sentimental H53c, but recuperating a chunk of the cost is nice, and I'm a bit of a minimalist.

Note: purchased from NKON to Canada. Tracking info stopped updating part way through, like many past shipments, but this took an abnormally long 3 weeks. Only positive feedback towards NKON from me.

Among my ZL trio including a stock SC64w HI and H600Fc, my H53c has always been my favorite to use for camping and canoe trips due to size and weight. I find I only need >200lm when cycling or in a brighter environment. I like using as little lumens as possible and always felt adequate with the H53c. I replaced because I wanted something with a nicer tint and sending out for a mod would have been a bit more than a new one. DC-Fix went on and will be staying.

The only concern I have is whether to de-dome or not. I love my 3500k 219B (Convoy). The stock domed 4000k 519A-V1 is nice, maybe a touch positive DUV as it appears warmer than my 4000k 219C (Convoy), but none of my Nichias are green when compared to each other. On the other hand, all my Nichias (including this new one) make my Cree ZLs (which I am perfectly happy with when used on their own!) green by comparison. There was a bit of tint-shift without DC fix, but obviously clean when diffused. Always love how nicely Nichias bring out browns: wood looks particularily nice.
So, will 3000k be too warm, and will it be too throwy? The beam shape is perfect as-is, but a bit more warmth would be fun, especially out in the woods. I'll definitely leave the dome for a while at least as I'm quite content.

Throughout my few ZLs there's been a few lotteries. Just to touch on them:
Anodizing: this has a nice very dark dry powder-coat look, like my OG H53c, except this one is almost black where my OG was greener. I'm very impressed, looks and feels premium. My SC64w has more of a plastidip feel. My H600Fc has more of a steaky gold/brown tone. I had a horrible SC64w HI once that I returned, it was silvery and kind of etched-looking and almost sticky. Ew.
UI Bugs: only noticed minor hitches with my SC64w HI and (long ago sold) SC600w Plus, where the mode would freeze and an unscrew of the cap fixed it. I noticed someone mentioned a beacon bug with these new ones, haven't experienced. With this, programming the modes, when triple clicking, or waiting too long, seems a bit unreliable. Never had issues with my many other ZLs, but it seems like I gotta be quicker for this one.
Tint Lottery: Fortunately a non-issue with this one. My old OG H53c was actually a decent tint and not green, but fairly yellow. I also once had an OG H53Fc with a horrible green tint. I've head the LE's can get green too. Finally, ZL has found a winner.
Switch: I've returned a mushy switch in a past SC64w HI. Some are more clicky than others. This one has a nice feel. My OG H53c had light bleeding through on high outputs due to a lack of pigmentation in the boot.

Some changes I've noticed vs my OG H53c:
Switch bezel: is different now. I think I preferred the old "tapered" one aesthetically as it matches the glass bezel more closely. Very minor change, but we're all about those details here lol.
Pocket Clip: The new one is decent. The fatter old one had some good real estate for magnets which I prefer. Although I really only use a pocket clip (with magnets) on my H600Fc these days as it's an excellent utility light.
Band: More plasticky feeling, harder to slide thru. Not sure how I feel. How does it hold up?
Mount: Same uncomfortable, impractical, low-effort silicon mount. Luckily I have a nice metal quick-release one from my old Fenix HL50.

Overall, thrilled!

Cheers!

20230606_072528.jpg

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Thanks!

Great summary! So Nkon is a good option to Canada?
IME, the best option, even when ZL was shipping to Canada it saved me $. My only complaint is they seem to change the price of their lights depending on availability. I've made 7 purchases and 3 returns, all great. Shipping was normally less than two weeks, only this last one was long, but I blame Asendia for that as it was shipped out the next day.

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
It's been a long time since I've posted here, nice to catch up!

Got an H53c N to replace my H53c from 2017 (my first ZL!) and wanted to share. My first flashlight purchase since late 2019 aside from a Convoy. Part of me already regrets selling the sentimental H53c, but recuperating a chunk of the cost is nice, and I'm a bit of a minimalist.

Note: purchased from NKON to Canada. Tracking info stopped updating part way through, like many past shipments, but this took an abnormally long 3 weeks. Only positive feedback towards NKON from me.

Among my ZL trio including a stock SC64w HI and H600Fc, my H53c has always been my favorite to use for camping and canoe trips due to size and weight. I find I only need >200lm when cycling or in a brighter environment. I like using as little lumens as possible and always felt adequate with the H53c. I replaced because I wanted something with a nicer tint and sending out for a mod would have been a bit more than a new one. DC-Fix went on and will be staying.

The only concern I have is whether to de-dome or not. I love my 3500k 219B (Convoy). The stock domed 4000k 519A-V1 is nice, maybe a touch positive DUV as it appears warmer than my 4000k 219C (Convoy), but none of my Nichias are green when compared to each other. On the other hand, all my Nichias (including this new one) make my Cree ZLs (which I am perfectly happy with when used on their own!) green by comparison. There was a bit of tint-shift without DC fix, but obviously clean when diffused. Always love how nicely Nichias bring out browns: wood looks particularily nice.
So, will 3000k be too warm, and will it be too throwy? The beam shape is perfect as-is, but a bit more warmth would be fun, especially out in the woods. I'll definitely leave the dome for a while at least as I'm quite content.

Throughout my few ZLs there's been a few lotteries. Just to touch on them:
Anodizing: this has a nice very dark dry powder-coat look, like my OG H53c, except this one is almost black where my OG was greener. I'm very impressed, looks and feels premium. My SC64w has more of a plastidip feel. My H600Fc has more of a steaky gold/brown tone. I had a horrible SC64w HI once that I returned, it was silvery and kind of etched-looking and almost sticky. Ew.
UI Bugs: only noticed minor hitches with my SC64w HI and (long ago sold) SC600w Plus, where the mode would freeze and an unscrew of the cap fixed it. I noticed someone mentioned a beacon bug with these new ones, haven't experienced. With this, programming the modes, when triple clicking, or waiting too long, seems a bit unreliable. Never had issues with my many other ZLs, but it seems like I gotta be quicker for this one.
Tint Lottery: Fortunately a non-issue with this one. My old OG H53c was actually a decent tint and not green, but fairly yellow. I also once had an OG H53Fc with a horrible green tint. I've head the LE's can get green too. Finally, ZL has found a winner.
Switch: I've returned a mushy switch in a past SC64w HI. Some are more clicky than others. This one has a nice feel. My OG H53c had light bleeding through on high outputs due to a lack of pigmentation in the boot.

Some changes I've noticed vs my OG H53c:
Switch bezel: is different now. I think I preferred the old "tapered" one aesthetically as it matches the glass bezel more closely. Very minor change, but we're all about those details here lol.
Pocket Clip: The new one is decent. The fatter old one had some good real estate for magnets which I prefer. Although I really only use a pocket clip (with magnets) on my H600Fc these days as it's an excellent utility light.
Band: More plasticky feeling, harder to slide thru. Not sure how I feel. How does it hold up?
Mount: Same uncomfortable, impractical, low-effort silicon mount. Luckily I have a nice metal quick-release one from my old Fenix HL50.

Overall, thrilled!

Cheers!

View attachment 44744
Cool! What's the DC fix?

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Cool! What's the DC fix?
It's a privacy sticker for frosting glass. Just a way to diffuse a beam. If you look closely at the lens in the pic, you'll notice there's a sticker on it.

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
It's a privacy sticker for frosting glass. Just a way to diffuse a beam. If you look closely at the lens in the pic, you'll notice there's a sticker on it.

Oh, I don't want that. I intentionally don't want the floody version since the wide part of the beam blinds people I'm running with.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Oh, I don't want that. I intentionally don't want the floody version since the wide part of the beam blinds people I'm running with.
Appreciate the courtesy, hah. Yes that's definitely one reason to avoid the floody beam.

I personally prefer the floody beam, easier on the eyes and I found a bouncing hot spot nauseating.