The Official Zebralight Thread .

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Folks,
Would someone kindly explain to me how the new sc65c is likely to compare to my current favorite sc64w hi?
Thanks
On the listing:

What's new:
New driver circuitry with improved efficiency
Larger and better spec'd key components
0.5mm shorter

This definitely warrants the design increment from 4 to 5. I suspect the Nichia 53s use the same circuit.

@Bob_McBob count me in as a maybe--I like my SC64w Hi but my interest is piqued. Just upgraded my H53c, so might as well do whole fleet... Out of curiosity, do you resell stock ZLs?

Reactions: NPL

SYZYGY

Enlightened
A very helpful exercise is to READ, and not only the title, which obviously wasn't done right, the model name is explicitly stated in the sheet and the item ID. You are so annoying all the time in this thread, it has been said many times and you still don't get it. When I try to be helpful and take my time pointing to you where it's stated SC65c HI, with colored pictures so anyone can understand, because you failed to READ it, you come and annoyingly complain, again.

ok, there's no need to be a prick. if that's the way you honestly feel, take a breather or put me on ignore or something, lol. it would be my honor to make your list <3

it was an honest mistake on both ends – on mine and ZL's. don't you think being misled about the model number by an incorrect product title is an easy mistake to make? i do. yes, i had a kneejerk reaction and posted on CPF about what appeared to be a surprising and inconsistent model number instead of checking on other places on their website. i was distracted and just assumed that was the model number because titles are typically accurate.

It IS named SC65c HI.

this was a helpful response, and i appreciate it.

responding subsequently with a bunch of huge screenshots clogs up the thread view visually, wastes CPF storage (~1MiB – just fyi, they would have likely been smaller as png), and is in fact not helpful. you had already conveyed the useful information which, again, i appreciate. i am guilty of the same (though to a lesser extent) by sharing a screenshot of the incorrect title, but it was only done in the hope that you could better understand the source of my confusion.

There you go @SYZYGY I called them and they fixed the title, just for you.

i'm sure they and their customers appreciate accurate documentation, so it's a win-win. how is that "just for me"? also, did you seriously call them, or was that a figure of speech? lol

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We like both of you and are glad you each have had your say (well done SYZYGY on your word choices) and now hopefully that piddle tizzy is over.

Can't wait to read user reviews of the new SC65! The usable throw, red rendering and color temperature observations are much, much anticipated.

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
my personal stake in the sc65c hi is how it compares to the sc64c le i modded with a 519a dedome. i love new and shiny and would love to support ZL with another purchase, but i suspect it may be pretty similar, so i hesitate to buy.

i do love that light though and carry it everywhere, and i think it's pretty cool that ZL's seemingly listening to fans and giving a nichia offering.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
just wanted to say that @Mr. LED is a gent, and i'm sorry for wasting everyone's time with the last few off-topic posts.

but no apologies for older off-topic posts! those are grandfathered in! 🤡

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Remember friends, this a flashlight forum....we are a bunch of nerds obsessing over minute details. Let's not take ourselves and eachother too seriously.

Cheers ❤️

liketotallyrandom

Newly Enlightened
I recently got an H53Fc N, and while programming the G6 levels, I'm noticing that the output is significantly higher in the upper half range of the levels. Is the Nichia 519A more efficient than the XP-L2 in my H53Fc, or is the driver outputting higher current at each level? (This is my first Nichia 519A light, so I'm not familiar with that emitter.)

SYZYGY

Enlightened
are you asking if the difference in observed output between two different ZL models is attributable to the driver or led?

probably both

e.g. i have not observed that ZL attempts to make level 8/12 on one model output the same lumens as 8/12 on another model.

however, when i program my ZLs, i do attempt to match perceived output in the low (and often medium) sublevels. my M1 on one light could be a 3/12, and on another that could be 5/12.

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I recently got an H53Fc N, and while programming the G6 levels, I'm noticing that the output is significantly higher in the upper half range of the levels. Is the Nichia 519A more efficient than the XP-L2 in my H53Fc, or is the driver outputting higher current at each level? (This is my first Nichia 519A light, so I'm not familiar with that emitter.)
I've owned both, but not concurrently. Nothing seemed off though and the modes seemed to match well with other lights. FWIW I like using 0.05, 1, 3, 10, 50, and 230 (approximately) for my modes.

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Tested the runtime of SC64 LE at the lowest output.

Start: 11/30/23 5pm
End: between 6/16/23 5pm and 6/19/23 9am (shut off at some point over the weekend)
Total runtime ~198 days
Battery: Samsung 35E tested at 3569 mAh in charger
End voltage was 2.75V

Attachments

• 01AC2EE3-073E-46B4-8336-7C0FCB3055F6.jpeg
    01AC2EE3-073E-46B4-8336-7C0FCB3055F6.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 663E92F9-E47E-4443-88C0-62AA7DE0C6AA.jpeg
    663E92F9-E47E-4443-88C0-62AA7DE0C6AA.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened

End: between 6/16/23 5pm and 6/19/23 9am (shut off at some point over the weekend)
Total runtime ~198 days
End voltage was 2.75V
So the lowest setting only consumes 750 µA. Crazy.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Total runtime ~198 days
End voltage was 2.75V
That's one of the great selling points of ZL flashlights, the incredible efficiency of their driver, especially on the lower levels. Many other lights have low levels, but they often only get a few days or weeks at those levels..... not 6+ months like ZL.

Thanks for doing the test to confirm this : )

holygeez03

Enlightened
Very interested to see if the SC65 HI has any output advantage over the SC64 HI... or if it's just a tint upgrade?

NPL

Enlightened
The SC64 Hi is known to have a good neutral tint, so not expecting anything significantly different with the 719a. The big upgrade will be the CRI and R9 rendering. I am happy to see they went with Nichia because Cree high CRI LEDs are more often than not very green and inconsistent in tint. The SC64 Hi will be brighter.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
My impression is that the 719A HIwill have more throw than the XHP35 HI, because of its smaller footprint.

Reactions: NPL

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I've noticed that. There seems to be a jump in relative brightness between two steps in the middle. I forget if it's M1 to H4 or M2 to M1, somewhere around there. I don't see this (as badly) on previous models. Not a huge thing, but noticeable.

M2 is 21h estimated and M1 is 8.5, so they are spec'-ing a 3x jump vs the usual 2x. Their lumens are 65 and 30, specified, though, so not sure what's going on there. I don't think there's a big efficiency drop. Something doesn't add up. Visually, I buy the runtime/watts more than the lumen spec.

The other difference is that I see no, or nearly no, difference between H1 and H2, sometimes even H3. My c and w models get like that with a lower charge level (50%? eneloop) but these start out that way, or do it at like 90%. Feels like we get 10 levels instead of 12, and there's one missing in the middle.

I'm still happy with it, and usually run the G5 mode with H1, H4 ; M1, M2 ; L1 , (not sure, L3?).
Might make sense to do H2, H4, as my tailcap measurements show a pretty big jump in current between H1 and H2, for no visible gain.