The Official Zebralight Thread .

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I'm guessing it's around 1A at H1, a reviewer tested the Nichia 719A and at 1A he measured 627 lumens.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit of a zl fanboy but I'm unpleasantly surprised that the latest 18650 only puts out 660…regret the preorder. Seems sadly not up to date?

I was worried also and frankly was going to send it back if I thought it was under-powered. I think it's nice with just the right amount of throw and doesn't look under-powered for this size light especially paying attention to the heat generated...

(Ideally going 1 level hotter would have been fine for me as you have so many options to tone the output down or put it into another group...)

Close-up white-wall the beam has slight artifacts as compared to very smooth 519a in SC53

Streak

Enlightened
Looking forward to the SC65c HI VS SC64w HI comparisons. I have the latter in my pocket since it came out. Been an absolute workhorse with zero complaints. Output and runtime are just excellent. Will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference or if the 65 will be an upgrade at all over the 64.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
From everything I'm gathering I believe I'm gonna pass on the SC65 and continue to run the SC64w HI. SC65 I believe is still a great light regardless and is an excellent option for the people who could not get their hands on the SC64w HI

SYZYGY

Enlightened
i periodically ask family members if they 'need' another flashlight. an excuse to order new lights to try.

i just put in an order for sc65c hi and sc600w 4+ hi. time to see what the new ZLs are all about.

OkestEngineer

Newly Enlightened
I posted on Reddit but here are some quick Beamshots.
_MG_2119.jpeg
_MG_2122.jpeg

Edit: some thoughts of mine. I think the 65c HI is a win just like the SC600w Mk IV Plus HI was. With the XHP35 HI no longer available, both those fill the gap pretty well to provide an available option. That is to say, I still think the 64w HI is still king; but, the 65c HI is really darn close. Of course too, I much prefer my bob_mcbob lights as those to me are just perfect.

In short, my opinion, the 65c HI is the next best thing. I would say it would be my number 1 if I did not already have bob_mcbob specials and additional "backup" 64w HI's.

Some measurements:

1689691564326.png

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you very much for the Opple 3 tint info of -0.0019 on M1 for the SC65c N
could you please also share the Opple 3 tint on M1 for the other 3 lights?
Great shots, I'm gonna skip this SC65, as it seems my Bob McBob SC64 LE w 519a suits my needs, what a great light.
they have different beam profiles and different tint
the UnOfficial 64 w domed 4500K 519a is more floody, the 65 is more throwy and has tint below BBL

here is some lumen and candela data thanks to kerplunk, I calculated the cd/lm, and throw. tint from my own Opple 3 readings, except the tint for the 65 is thanks to OkestEngineer

modified SC64c LE w 519a 4500K domed: 757 lumens, 4709 candela, cd/lm 6, throw 137 meters, tint duv +0.0012
SC65c Hi: 682 lumens, 8785 candela, cd/lm 13, throw 187 meters, tint duv -0.0019

for reference:
HDS w sw45k: 200 lumens, 3000 candela, cd/lm 15, throw 110 meters, tint duv -0.0062

---

OkestEngineer said:
Update: some more measurements
thank you!

SC65c Hi: 8785 candela, throw 187 meters, tint duv -0.0019
modified SC64c LE w 519a 4500K domed: 4709 candela, throw 137 meters, tint duv +0.0012
modified SC64c LE w 519a 4500K dedomed: 5543 candela, throw 149 meters, tint duv -0.0037

the data shows the SC65 has 37% more throw than a domed 519a 4500K
the data shows the SC65 has 25% more throw than a dedomed 519a 4500K
---

SC64w Hi: 1096 lumens, 11681 candela, cd/lm 11, throw 216 meters, tint duv +0.0021
SC65c Hi: 682 lumens, 8785 candela, cd/lm 13, throw 187 meters, tint duv -0.0019

the SC64w Hi has 16% more throw than the SC65

Last edited:

OkestEngineer

Newly Enlightened
thank you very much for the Opple 3 tint info of -0.0019 on M1 for the SC65c N
could you please also share the Opple 3 tint on M1 for the other 3 lights?

they have different beam profiles and different tint
the UnOfficial 64 w 519a is more floody, the 65 is more throwy and has tint below BBL

here is some lumen and candela data thanks to kerplunk, I calculated the cd/lm, and throw. tint from my own Opple 3 readings, except the tint for the 65 is thanks to OkestEngineer

SC64c LE w 519a 4500K: 757 lumens, 4709 candela, cd/lm 6, throw 137 meters, tint duv +0.0012

for reference:
HDS w sw45k: 200 lumens, 3000 candela, cd/lm 15, throw 110 meters, tint duv -0.0062
See my post above - I'd go with those numbers as it was more effort on my part to be consistent and at 1 meter. How do you calculate the cd/lm and resulting lumens?

Edit: saw your edit. Those are awesome numbers! But again, pretty much right in line with what bob_mcbob said it would be.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you calculate the cd/lm
to get candela per lumen, I divided candela by lumens, numbers from kerplunk, since your data does not include lumens

to get throw, I multiply candela by 4 (your candela values are slightly different than from kerplunk), and then take the square root to arrive at meters of throw

for tint duv I use Opple 3 data (varies by output, I like to use your M1 data), I also have Opple 3 that I used for some of the other tint duv numbers.. (tint duv also varies between LEDs.. Ive recently measured two LH351d, one was +0.0040, the other was +0.0024, when both lights were set to about 25 lumens on my meter)

imo Opple 4 duv data is a waste of time.. it consistently reads higher by about 0.0030, than Opple 3, and just creates information overload

My overall conclusions are that the SC65 has better tint and CRI, and throws almost as well as the SC64w Hi

And compared to a modified SC64w LE with dedomed 519a, the SC65c Hi throws 25% farther.

In all cases, for people debating the options, imo the SC65c Hi is a Recommended Buy IF High CRI and most throw, are the primary criteria. Also, the SC65c Hi Driver is claimed by Zebra, to be more efficient than the SC64 driver. (no actual efficiency numbers yet but the difference in cd/lm is 21% more for the SC65 than the SC64w Hi, so that suggests the SC65 is 21% more efficient)

for people who only compare lumens, I think that will always lead you away from High CRI, and will take you towards tint above the BBL.. imo lumens is not the best way to compare light quality.

Last edited:

OkestEngineer

Newly Enlightened
to get candela per lumen, I divided candela by lumens, numbers from kerplunk, since your data does not include lumens

to get throw, I multiply candela by 4 (your candela values are slightly different than from kerplunk), and then take the square root to arrive at meters of throw

for tint duv I use Opple 3 data (varies by output, I like to use your M1 data), I also have Opple 3 that I used for some of the other tint duv numbers.. (tint duv also varies between LEDs.. Ive recently measured two LH351d, one was +0.0040, the other was +0.0024, when both lights were set to about 25 lumens on my meter)

imo Opple 4 duv data is a waste of time.. it consistently reads higher by about 0.0030, than Opple 3, and just creates information overload

My overall conclusions are that the SC65 has better tint and CRI, and throws almost as well as the SC64w Hi

And compared to a modified SC64w LE with dedomed 519a, the SC65c Hi throws 25% farther.

In all cases, for people debating the options, imo the SC65c Hi is a Recommended Buy IF High CRI and most throw, are the primary criteria. Also, the SC65c Hi Driver is claimed by Zebra, to be more efficient than the SC64 driver. (no actual numbers yet)

for people who only compare lumens, I think that will always lead you away from High CRI, and will take you towards tint above the BBL.. imo lumens is not the best way to compare light quality.
I agree with all your points! And, I kinda lumped in the OP3 versus OP4 into my data - looking at the numbers, they aren't too far off each other but the DUV is wonky. Given that its a calculation, they should be able to correct the LM4 measurements maybe.

Hopefully I can get a Texas Ace lumen tube soon, can add to the measurements!

OkestEngineer

Newly Enlightened
The
that is comparing both at their respective maximum lumens which are very different, but how do they compare at the same lumen level? Which one has more intensity?
The CD/LM is still higher with the 65c HI, so at the same lumen level, the 65c HI will have more intensity.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one has more intensity?
SC65c Hi has 21% higher candela per lumen than SC64w Hi, with both lights at maximum output.

I do not have any data comparing lights at the same lumens.
All data is for maximum output.

SC64w Hi: 10.65 cd/lm, 216 meters throw
SC65c Hi: 12.88 cd/lm, 187 meters throw
HDS w sw45k: 15.00 cd/lm, 110meters throw

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So wonderful to view these observations!

Is this testing being performed with the same 100% charged battery and at what time frame from when first activated? How much battery resting after fully charged?

These numbers are recorded in the first burst of activation?

Reading the comments about comparing maximum values and the new ZL not being 'enough' makes me laugh because the screamers are going to get throttled from heat soon enough.

If this new LED gets hot sooner at a given output because of higher CRI with good red rendering, then that is an acceptable compromise for some of us.

Curious to see anyone comparing the lumens sustained over extended time between the SC65 719a and previous '1000'+ lumens models.

OkestEngineer

Newly Enlightened
So wonderful to view these observations!

Is this testing being performed with the same 100% charged battery and at what time frame from when first activated? How much battery resting after fully charged?

These numbers are recorded in the first burst of activation?

Reading the comments about comparing maximum values and the new ZL not being 'enough' makes me laugh because the screamers are going to get throttled from heat soon enough.

If this new LED gets hot sooner at a given output because of higher CRI with good red rendering, then that is an acceptable compromise for some of us.

Curious to see anyone comparing the lumens sustained over extended time between the SC65 719a and previous '1000'+ lumens models.
My testing was with the same battery, full charge. No measurements afterwards, etc. And, numbers were recorded after first burst.

I agree to your points as well. Honestly I really like the 65c HI. I think it's a great alternative to the 64w HI. Because it is in stock and seemingly not going anywhere, I plan to use the heck out of mine. One of the downsides to the 64w HI and bob_mcbob lights, I'm too nervous to actually use them for fear of damage or loosing them.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed a strange startup behavior for the SC65c HI when turning the light on high when it has fully cooled off? It almost seems that the light starts in two phases (maybe each of the stacked dies of the LED getting powered on a fraction of a second apart). The light doesn't exhibit this behavior once it is warm. The initial burst seems to be a higher color temperature, then it gets a bit brighter and the color temp seems to drop slightly.

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
I still haven't received a shipping confirmation yet, and honestly I am getting worried about this light. 600Lms and not much online chatter about it... I dunno... Of all the ZL releases in my short time of collecting/using (since SC51w) this one isn't seeming to get the hype?

Not enough delivered yet?