The Official Zebralight Thread .

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really enjoy Zebralights and will continue to purchase them. I had one issue and it was taken care of. You get a lot of light and features for the $. SC64/65 18650 models IMO are one of the best EDC lights you will ever own. Super compact, extremely long runtimes.

Last edited:

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the improvement on this to the original 700?
HI = domeless emitter, which translates to a more intense hotspot and less tint shift across the beam. Here is an example of a modded version vs original:

Domed (HD variant) Cree emitters tend to have a great deal of tint shift between hotspot, corona, and spill when used in a reflector. The XHP 70, being a very large LED, can be awful in this regard.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't believe how much dimmer
if we only focus on lumens, it can be very misleading

660 lumens instead of 880 lumens is "only" a 20% drop in Lumens.. this is not visually significant.

IF we had LUX data to compare, I believe the hotspot of the SC65 is actually brighter than the hotspot of the SC64 LE

there are also Tint differences, and CRI R9 differences..

focusing just on Lumens for comparison purposes, will tend to favor Greener Tinted LEDs, and with lower CRI R9..

And focusing on just Lumens for comparison purposes, can give the impression that the SC64 LED is Brighter than the SC65, when in actual use, the more focused hotspot of the SC65 can Throw farther because of the higher LUX

maybe someone will offer a LUX comparison of the SC64 LE to the SC65, along with a Tint DUV and CRI R9 data comparison..

I suspect the SC65 will win when comparing LUX, CRI R9, and Tint DUV, over the SC64 LE..

comparing just Lumens can be very misleading..

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lower the firefly mode lumens the better.
I also prioritize firefly..

and for those that are not opposed to modded lights.. Bob_McBob can build a better Zebra:

anonymous said:
"an SC65c modded with an XHP35 HI 5700K. Would be a bit brighter than the SC64w HI."

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

660 lumens instead of 880 lumens is "only" a 20% drop in Lumens.. this is not visually significant.

IF we had LUX data to compare, I believe the hotspot of the SC65 is actually brighter than the hotspot of the SC64 LE

there are also Tint differences, and CRI R9 differences..

focusing just on Lumens for comparison purposes, will tend to favor Greener Tinted LEDs, and with lower CRI R9..

And focusing on just Lumens for comparison purposes, can give the impression that the SC64 LED is Brighter than the SC65, when in actual use, the more focused hotspot of the SC65 can Throw farther because of the higher LUX

maybe someone will offer a LUX comparison of the SC64 LE to the SC65, along with a Tint DUV and CRI R9 data comparison..

I suspect the SC65 will win when comparing LUX, CRI R9, and Tint DUV, over the SC64 LE..

comparing just Lumens can be very misleading..

Sorry, my post didn't come out the way that I meant it to be. What I was specifically referring to is the dimmest level of both lights. When you put them both on their very lowest setting, it is very noticeably dimmer on the 65, almost useless in fact.

Some may actually love that, for me, I really don't have a use for it. I only brought it up, because it was so noticeably different on what I have over here anyway.

I'm not referring to the overall output of the lights at their higher settings. That can is already been kicked back and forth up and down the road too many times.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I was specifically referring to is the dimmest level of both lights. When you put them both on their very lowest setting, it is very noticeably dimmer on the 65, almost useless in fact.
thanks for clarifying
it seems different people place a different value on Firefly output..
I guess for your needs, the lower low of the SC65 is not an upgrade..

hope you find a feature set that suits your preferences
Happy New Year! ;-)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Lately I've been testing out several so-called "Tactical" lights from various different Made in China brands. Almost all of the them have come up short. However, two from Eagtac seem very promising as possibly the real thing. One is rated at around 1700 lumens, the other at 1400. Yes, both are rated lumens, not more accurate Out-The-Front numbers. And, different companies realistically might have different standards for rated lumens. One company's 1800 might be a different company's 2100.

However, these two lights are from the very same company. The 1400 one has a slightly better form factor than the 1700 one. Testing outside against the same dark wall at night, at my 3rd shift job; I was shocked to see a significant difference in output from these two lights; from the same distance away. No fancy recording equipment used. Just my naked eyes. I had to run the tests two more times to be certain what I was looking at was actually true. It was!

That's a difference of only 300 lumens. When you get into the 1500 or so range of output, it should not be noticeable to the naked eye. But, it was!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
thanks for clarifying
it seems different people place a different value on Firefly output..
I guess for your needs, the lower low of the SC65 is not an upgrade..

hope you find a feature set that suits your preferences
Happy New Year! ;-)

I won't lose any sleep over it. There's other levels to compensate. I love my sub-lumen brightness just as much as the next guy, but at some point, it's not usable. The only exception I can think of is if someone wanted to leave it on that level 24/7, as a way to find the light, but that will only work if you're looking right at the emitter.

HNY to you as well.