The Official Zebralight Thread .

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently had an issue with my SC65c HI. I program on G6 for single click is medium levels. Once I click it on after 3 seconds it would shut off. Did this several times until I removed the battery and re- inserted it and tightened the tailcap, problem I guess went away. Hasn't done it since, who knows but now the reliability has gone down in points for me, not cool. I've noticed my button on my model requires to double click more slowly then previous models. If I double click too fast it will register as a single click and shut back off. Still seems to work great but now I don't know if it'll happen again

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS - The New SC700d HI

1) The Bad - I ended up ordering 3 of the new SC700d HI lights. 2 of the 3 have a BIG problem. When I hold the button down to cycle through low and then to medium, if I stop there and lift my thumb both lights sometimes cut off. If I do this and stop on high, both lights sometimes cut off. One of the lights does this most of the time and the other light only does this once in a while. My third light hasn't done it at all, but I am still testing it out (just got these yesterday).

THIS IS AN OLD PROBLEM. Around 8-9 years ago, I bought my first SC600w HI. That light did something similar to this, but it was a rare occurrence. After 2 wasted returns, ZL said they couldn't replicate the issue (they were too prideful to believe me and didn't spend enough time with it to find the problem on their own.) Both times they sent it back to me. I posted a video on CPF proving the issue, and THEY STILL DIDN'T BELIEVE ME! I'm stuck with that stupid light still today as it sits in a drawer, but at this point, "who cares." Even though ZL's are my favorite lights by far, that was shameful what they did. By the way, I saw this same problem on 2 other ZL's within the next few years (which I returned), but I haven't seen that issue on any new ZL's in recent years until now. Bummer.

2) The Good - I freaking LOVE this light (the one that's working, that is)!!! It has a similar beam-pattern to the SC64w HI, but is MUCH brighter on max. This is very good news to me because my favorite all-around light and the one I grab most is the SC64w HI (still is my favorite all-around for its compact size + output + runtimes). I could see the 700d HI being my goto light when I want something with longer runtimes and/or more output and don't mind the extra heft of the SC700d HI over the SC64w HI. The tint on all three looks great too! All 3 look like a clean 5000k with a bit of yellow towards the edges.

I will return the 2 faulty lights and will wait until they work through this problem. I hope they fix this soon because I still plan on buying 2 more. In summary - this light is a 10 out of 10 if working properly.
Thanks for the heads up.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS - The New SC700d HI

1) The Bad - I ended up ordering 3 of the new SC700d HI lights. 2 of the 3 have a BIG problem. When I hold the button down to cycle through low and then to medium, if I stop there and lift my thumb both lights sometimes cut off. If I do this and stop on high, both lights sometimes cut off. One of the lights does this most of the time and the other light only does this once in a while. My third light hasn't done it at all, but I am still testing it out (just got these yesterday).

THIS IS AN OLD PROBLEM. Around 8-9 years ago, I bought my first SC600w HI. That light did something similar to this, but it was a rare occurrence. After 2 wasted returns, ZL said they couldn't replicate the issue (they were too prideful to believe me and didn't spend enough time with it to find the problem on their own.) Both times they sent it back to me. I posted a video on CPF proving the issue, and THEY STILL DIDN'T BELIEVE ME! I'm stuck with that stupid light still today as it sits in a drawer, but at this point, "who cares." Even though ZL's are my favorite lights by far, that was shameful what they did. By the way, I saw this same problem on 2 other ZL's within the next few years (which I returned), but I haven't seen that issue on any new ZL's in recent years until now. Bummer.

2) The Good - I freaking LOVE this light (the one that's working, that is)!!! It has a similar beam-pattern to the SC64w HI, but is MUCH brighter on max. This is very good news to me because my favorite all-around light and the one I grab most is the SC64w HI (still is my favorite all-around for its compact size + output + runtimes). I could see the 700d HI being my goto light when I want something with longer runtimes and/or more output and don't mind the extra heft of the SC700d HI over the SC64w HI. The tint on all three looks great too! All 3 look like a clean 5000k with a bit of yellow towards the edges.

I will return the 2 faulty lights and will wait until they work through this problem. I hope they fix this soon because I still plan on buying 2 more. In summary - this light is a 10 out of 10 if working properly.
So then if a person slows down on the double click it won't register as a single click and turn off?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
So then if a person slows down on the double click it won't register as a single click and turn off?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I haven't observed any issues on these lights related to a "double-click" or if I "slow down on the double-click." In other words, these two lights don't shut off (or at least haven't yet) after any sort of a double-click. So far, they only shut off if I hold the button down to cycle FROM off or FROM on --- TO low, then TO medium and then stop (lift my thumb up). They both frequently shut off by themselves right there. If I do this same thing, hold the button down to cycle to low then to medium then to high and stop (lift my thumb up), they both frequently shut off right there as well. Irritating.

So far, both lights work properly if I just click once FROM OFF to high, or double-click FROM OFF to medium, or slow-click FROM OFF to low. That might work alright for some but not for most of us. Like most, I frequently will cycle from high to low or to medium after I've turned the light on. You know, turn the light on max to see for a min, then press and hold the button to cycle to low or medium while hiking/walking. It would be "unnatural" / "a waste of time" to turn the light on max then turn it back off, wait a moment, then double-click it for medium. The beauty of the ZL User Interface is being able to hold the button down sometimes to move to another output. If the light cuts off during the cycling function, then bummer = faulty light/stupid light/can't trust it/won't trust it.

In case someone is wondering, I bought 5 new batteries from ZL on this purchase. I have charged all 5 to max. The problem persisted when the batteries were around 40% charged (when received) and when charged to max. Both lights still cut off after cycling to med or high, and they do it often.

BUMMER! BIG BUMMER!!
Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
How about in G6 or G7? Either with stock levels, or how some people like to switch e.g. low to short click and high to long press? Does it still turn off when releasing the button?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
One bug I noticed on the SC65c HI is when choosing the low beacon, it wouldn't change brightness depending on which low mode I choose. I had to remove the battery, press the button to discharge the capacitor and then reinsert the battery and problem was solved. I replicated this in 3 different SC65c HI.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is starting to get ridiculous.
true, but at least it is happening to multiple people.. which means it is more likely to get solved

the unintended shut off does not seem to be limited to just SC65, since Outdoorsman5 is reporting it with SC700 now also, plus SC600 and two other Zebras in the past..
THIS IS AN OLD PROBLEM. Around 8-9 years ago, I bought my first SC600w HI. That light did something similar to this... I saw this same problem on 2 other ZL's within the next few years

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about in G6 or G7? Either with stock levels, or how some people like to switch e.g. low to short click and high to long press? Does it still turn off when releasing the button?
Sadly, "Yes" to both of your questions. I just tried it with both. The first light cut off on my first try with each option you listed. The second light didn't take long.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a physical button issue, or a button debounce firmware issue.
The physical buttons on all 3 of my 700d HI's do not "feel" defective. They all have the standard "click" we all know on our ZL's (I have many many ZL's, and no physical difference in each "click" that I can tell.) My guess is a software issue, but I see where your hunch could be right. It could be something that can't be felt in the "click." See my next comment below that could give your hunch some support.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sad to report one more issue that happened just once last night. On the one SC700d HI (out of the three) that has been seemingly working normally, I clicked it in every way imaginable for 3-4 hours straight last night on G5, G6, and G7 (wife was out of town, so I had the time and the desire to test it a LOT while watching Netflix.) ONCE and just ONCE and during a moment when I had just released the button, the button seemed to have gotten stuck in the pressed down position because the light began to cycle from low to med to high over & over on its own. I was NOT touching the button as it did this. I let it do this for several moments to see what it would do. It became clear that it wasn't going to stop, so I "clicked" the button. I noticed the button wasn't stuck down as I thought. It still "clicked" normally when I pressed it, and the light stopped cycling. When I clicked it, the light turned off like normal. I tried for the next couple of hours to duplicate the error, but it didn't happen again.

I'll keep clicking & clicking on it later to see if I can get it to duplicate the issue (or any other issue if observed). If this seemingly good light begins to show problems like this that become common occurrences and not rare occurrences, then I will sadly return it as well. I hope this new observed issue was just a fluke because I REALLY WANT TO KEEP IT. Again, I REALLY LOVE this light - the beam pattern, tint, output, runtimes, size and weight on it make it a potential "one of the greatest lights of all time," but these issues have to be resolved before considering that.

Hope this was helpful. Let me/us know your thoughts.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC65 seems to be working fine with no issues so far. Used it all day today. Gonna run it until it dies. We'll see how long it will last

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm sad to report one more issue that happened just once last night. On the one SC700d HI (out of the three) that has been seemingly working normally, I clicked it in every way imaginable for 3-4 hours straight last night on G5, G6, and G7 (wife was out of town, so I had the time and the desire to test it a LOT while watching Netflix.) ONCE and just ONCE and during a moment when I had just released the button, the button seemed to have gotten stuck in the pressed down position because the light began to cycle from low to med to high over & over on its own. I was NOT touching the button as it did this. I let it do this for several moments to see what it would do. It became clear that it wasn't going to stop, so I "clicked" the button. I noticed the button wasn't stuck down as I thought. It still "clicked" normally when I pressed it, and the light stopped cycling. When I clicked it, the light turned off like normal. I tried for the next couple of hours to duplicate the error, but it didn't happen again.

I'll keep clicking & clicking on it later to see if I can get it to duplicate the issue (or any other issue if observed). If this seemingly good light begins to show problems like this that become common occurrences and not rare occurrences, then I will sadly return it as well. I hope this new observed issue was just a fluke because I REALLY WANT TO KEEP IT. Again, I REALLY LOVE this light - the beam pattern, tint, output, runtimes, size and weight on it make it a potential "one of the greatest lights of all time," but these issues have to be resolved before considering that.

Hope this was helpful. Let me/us know your thoughts.
My fear is that ZL will take any returned units experiencing this issue and put them back in inventory to be shipped out to unsuspecting purchasers.

I have no reason to trust them enough to say this isn't a possibility and a concern.