The ROTOR® - E-series compatible 18650 body

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Tried to send you a PM .... BTW, MirageMan has also produced a split-body design, although I don't really know much of the history of MM (or TB, for that matter).

Sorry about the PM archimedes, I disabled that featured quite a while ago. Please email through my website anytime you want. I'm familiar with some of the MM offerings but have never had a chance to examine one of his split tube models. We know that Rothrandir (Valient Concepts) currently makes and sells an 18650 E-series split tube model on Custom & Modified B/S/T. Surefire probably made the first adapters & cell extenders but thank goodness they don't make a split tube E-series :nana:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
After speaking with Scott from TBSB (TranquilityBase) post #1, paragraph 1 is edited to read:

NOTE: The ROTOR split body concept is inspired by the efforts, design work & machining first conducted by Scott Thomson of TBSB (TranquilityBase). TBSB also designed & sold an 18650 non-split design that fit the E-series head with a C-series tail (circa 2005). Thank you Scott for your split body design that has withstood the test of time & will continue to be popular for many years to come.

It appears likely that The Crash Of CPF removed the references that I could not find during numerous web searches & CPF searches. Everyone today who enjoys the benefits of a super strong 18650 E-series tube can thank Scott for the time & effort he put into developing this timeless design.

easilyled

Flashaholic
TBSB is the acronym for TranquillityBase Split Body
TB is the shortened alias for TranquillityBase

This is a TBSB:-

DSC_0067.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
TBSB is the acronym for TranquillityBase Split Body
Easilyled,

Thanks for that clarification. The best I could guess at was Tranquility Base Scott ? Scott sent me another email last evening with more links to his earlier work.

Image-9853934-151496351-9-Web_0_d3568a2c94e14495ed7f123b27522d5b_1

Stunning finish in your photograph :) It looks like Scott did some buffing/blending/polishing after machining. Here's a comparison image showing the "off the tool" finish produced when turning down the SWM V10R Ti :

Image-9853934-151088354-2-Web_0_07ecc6defc3fdad0455b81f9f95634fc_1

By moving slowly, taking a very fine (shallow) cut, and using a delicate finishing tool the surface roughness is 16 micro inches (0.4 micro meters). I'm expecting the ROTOR to finish out at 32 (0.8) as that is the finish most often specified for finely turned parts. Going smoother & more polished than 32 (0.8) is possible but that will substantially increase the cost & we want to avoid that.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Very nice work, precisionworks, and a unique pattern. :thumbsup:
TYVM :)

I bought a SWM V10R Ti for prototyping purposes (aka organ donor or crash test dummy). As soon as the light was in my hand it became clear that something had to be done to the body. Every new light is compared to my gold standard - the McGizmo Haiku or McClickie Pak - probably an unfair comparison but that's the feel I wanted. Off to the lathe to slice & dice:

Image-9853934-151498724-2-Web_0_57cba7ef245171d20aa0cd00904c7391_1

That's the "before" image. The orange arrow points to the 55° diamond shaped carbide insert. At first glance that shape looked perfect for machining the groove mod but looking & feeling are sometimes quite different. The tube was reshaped many times but each by the same 55° tool. The angled rear surface allows the hand to slide forward onto the tube & the straight front surface keeps the hand in place.

In the early discussion stages of the ROTOR we decided to use the same groove design. Neither of us had seen this before on any light & PEU thought it would work well. Being the creative type PEU decided to add angular rotation to each groove & came up with the ROTOR name.

I'd call this the result of a machine shop experiment that ended well :nana:

notrefined

Enlightened
I'll probably have to buy (at least) one of these, but you know what I really want is the titanium Z52 to go with it ;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'll probably have to buy (at least) one of these, but you know what I really want is the titanium Z52 to go with it ;)
LOL :)

Maybe someday. And it will have to be significantly different than the SF Z52 because SF has a patent on every part they've ever made for their lights. Many of you are aware of the ongoing patent infringement lawsuit that SF brought against a number of companies. Neither PEU nor I want to see our name added to that list.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Pricing info

We just heard from the CNC shop & have the pricing on the Ti-6-4 body. It's $224.00 USD plus shipping. USA shipping by the U S Post Office is $6.00, International is $17.00.

No orders are being taken at this time as this is not a sales thread but we do need to have an idea of the level of interest. No metal has yet been cut & we will wait to see how many people commit to a body before ordering material costing $350/meter :eek:

PEU & I are both happy to see a price this low. The tube has to be rotated 15 times to cut the 15 flats & this is not a quick process. We aren't the judge but you are. What are your thoughts?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The ROTOR

WOW ... as soon as the price was listed there was a huge lack of response :nana:

When comparing The ROTOR to other custom titanium bodies the price seems about right. Not inexpensive because of the large amount of machine time involved but not too pricey either. PEU & I would love to order a small production run from the shop but we need to know that some of these bodies will go to a good home.

Or is there something about this design that makes it unattractive or not a good value?

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The ROTOR

I would commit to taking one for sure even if done tomorrow. I'll probably think hard about two if I have a couple weeks and an in the hand photo to wet my whistle.

obi

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Obi,

Thank you for your support. I want at least one for my collection & another for my son. Yours makes three. PEU will likely want one or two for himself. We are now talking with the shop about a VERY small run, that being the number of bodies that they can machine from 1m of material. Will post back if this is in any way possible. I do believe that once people see the body "in the flesh" there will be much more interest.

I like the looks of this thing a lot... quite reminiscent of either a Wankel, or even the cam of a regular ICE (hence, "The ROTOR" I suppose). Either way, it's very different.

If I'm understanding the reason for the flats pattern... is it that no two flats are ever lined up in order to ensure grip no matter how the light is rotationally oriented in the hand?
Thank you for your kind words :)

Rotating the flats (actually indexing each flat) serves two purposes. Grip is greatly enhanced & the design looks unlike any other. PEU gets all the credit for the rotation/indexing.

S1LVA

Enlightened
I want one!

S1LVA

NVM, Oops! I thought it had an integrated tail cap.

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, on both of mine that would be GREAT. I know that significantly changes the design in terms of machining challenges. But in the end, this or a matching tail with a McClicky is really necessary for this to be a complete project. Either of these would certainly guarantee interest to increase.

obi

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Yeah, on both of mine that would be GREAT. I know that significantly changes the design in terms of machining challenges. But in the end, this or a matching tail with a McClicky is really necessary for this to be a complete project. Either of these would certainly guarantee interest to increase.

obi
I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I just sent a text to PEU asking for a new quote with integrated tail. No idea how much that will change the price but will post back as soon as I know something.