The ROTOR® - E-series compatible 18650 body

easilyled

Flashaholic
Easilyled,

Almost no one other than a machinist factors tooling wear & cost into a titanium light ... sounds to me like you have some machine experience. Tool wear on Grade 2 (commercially pure) titanium is far less than Grade 5 (Ti-6Al-4V) but Grade 2 has far less strength - aluminum alloy 6061 is 90% as strong in ultimate tensile strength as Grade 2. Grade 5 is 276% stronger than Grade 2 (source data from ASM Material Data Sheets).

I wish I had some machine experience precisionworks, but alas I don't. I based my answer on what I've gleaned from the great machinists on CPF, people whose skills I admire immensely. :)

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Wow, that body is sweet.

The problem that I see with Ti is matching head/tailcaps (and cost), but I will see what you can come up with.

I could be tempted with a HA black Al version though, easy enough to add surefire/kuku parts to make a complete light.

Cheers,
Nova

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Wow, that body is sweet.

Cheers,
Nova
Thanks for those nice words Nova.

The problem that I see with Ti is matching head/tailcaps (and cost), but I will see what you can come up with.
PEU & I haven't gotten to that point yet but something that repeated the upper body grooving might be nice on both the head & tail.

Image-9853934-152147079-2-WebSmall_0_683eb6622616ae2a174e730ea9da212e_1

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm not in for one of these, because I only use RCR123s, but I do think having a Ti Aleph-compatible 18650 tube is a great option for people who like that battery size. As a purely academic point, I'd be interested to see a version with a non-removable tailcap, so a McGizmo clip could be used on it.

I realize that is a totally useless response, but I thought I'd at least contribute some moral support. :D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the design is far too busy, it would really require a pretty specific head and TC for the whole thing to come together properly. Perhaps when you can get one produced, and display it with some options that work you might generate more interest. Also, why not start with aluminum to keep the cost down and interest up?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'd be interested to see a version with a non-removable tailcap, so a McGizmo clip could be used on it.

I realize that is a totally useless response, but I thought I'd at least contribute some moral support. :D
We appreciate the input. The rear of the battery tube (right before the tailcap) is 0.128" (3.25mm) thick & could easily be drilled & tapped for a clip.

... when you can get one produced, and display it with some options that work you might generate more interest.
We are looking for a shop that will run the body in small quantities, something in the 12-25 range. I agree that would help.

Also, why not start with aluminum to keep the cost down and interest up?
That will probably happen. Figure the cost in aluminum at half the cost of titanium, more or less.

fyrstormer

Banned
It looked like a clip could be fitted forward of the tailcap, I just happen to strongly prefer a non-removable tailcap to start with. It's one less bit to fuss with, it's less expensive since there's one less pair of threads to cut, and it just so happens to allow mounting the clip all the way at the end of the light. As long as it's got a good switch installed, there isn't really any reason to ever take the tailcap off, and on a Ti light there's no benefit being able to loosen the tailcap either, since you can't make a lockout tailcap out of bare metal.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
It looked like a clip could be fitted forward of the tailcap, I just happen to strongly prefer a non-removable tailcap to start with. It's one less bit to fuss with, it's less expensive since there's one less pair of threads to cut, and it just so happens to allow mounting the clip all the way at the end of the light. As long as it's got a good switch installed, there isn't really any reason to ever take the tailcap off, and on a Ti light there's no benefit being able to loosen the tailcap either, since you can't make a lockout tailcap out of bare metal.
I can't argue with your logic frystormer. Problem is that there are two opposing forces on this - those that want an integral tail & those that will not buy it if it has an integral tail.

A poll has been added to this thread. Please vote for your choice so PEU & I can get a better feel for the market.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
Would it be possible for 2x123a batteries instead of the 18650,i'd love one of these in titanium for my 6v haiku

easilyled

Flashaholic
Would it be possible for 2x123a batteries instead of the 18650,i'd love one of these in titanium for my 6v haiku

There's no reason why this shouldn't be possible. You could even have 2 18350's which is my setup with the TBSB with a 6V Makai LE.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

There's no reason why this shouldn't be possible. You could even have 2 18350's which is my setup with the TBSB with a 6V Makai LE.
+1

I keep a handful of CR123's in all the vehicles in case an 18650 expires unexpectedly. CR123's are a bit loose as they measure around 0.670" (17mm) and most 18650 bores run from 0.730"-0.750" (18.5mm-19.0mm). Before 18650 was my battery of choice I wrapped a few layers of black plastic tape around the CR123 to give it a nice fit in the larger bore.

Either 2x18350, 1x18650 or 2xCR123 will work with most light engines most of the time. A pair of CR's produces about 6 volts while the 18mm cells run a touch under 4 volts. Light output depends on how the driver is configured.

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Either 2x18350, 1x18650 or 2xCR123 will work with most light engines most of the time. A pair of CR's produces about 6 volts while the 18mm cells run a touch under 4 volts. Light output depends on how the driver is configured.
I have had trouble fitting 2x18350 into SF E-series bodies, they are longer than either CR123 or 18650 and I could not screw the head on far enough to get the torch to work. This was with E2E and LF HO-E2R incan bulb (stock SF bulb didn't fit either, although I wasn't going to turn it on). This also depends upon the spring in the tailcap.

If you go for a McClicky be aware that the springs are fairly stiff. I have dented a couple of batteries using McC's.

Cheers,
Nova

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I have had trouble fitting 2x18350 into SF E-series bodies, they are longer than either CR123 or 18650 and I could not screw the head on far enough to get the torch to work. This was with E2E and LF HO-E2R incan bulb (stock SF bulb didn't fit either, although I wasn't going to turn it on). This also depends upon the spring in the tailcap.

If you go for a McClicky be aware that the springs are fairly stiff. I have dented a couple of batteries using McC's.

Cheers,
Nova
The 18650 seems like the most logical choice based on capacity. AFAIK it is the most highly developed Li-Ion cell that is in common use ... thanks to laptop computer development.