The Smallest flashlight I could make...

Thank you Zandar, it's a great feeling, when your passion is appreciated by others. I've tried looking up Saw Mill Inn, but couldn't find much in connection with flashlights. Is there a small collection on display there? Anyways, to respond to your question, I am too a proud custom flashlight owner, regardless of what anyone thinks about this great hobby. As far as making more light, a few things have to fall in place, but if all goes well, the 10180 light will be completed in 3 weeks. I will make an announcement, once I have everything needed. Cheers!:)
There's just no stopping your creativity. Just one problem, I can't decide which museum this light should go to. Either the flashlight pavilion at the world famous "Saw Mill Inn", owned by CPF's most prestigious member run4jc or should it really reside in a more public forum, say the "Smithsonian Institution's The History Of Custom Built Led Illumination Tools In Contemporary Western Culture Exhibit"? I guess the only equitable way to decide, is to get the 2 museum directors together and let the bidding war begin! It just goes to show how much progress we have made in only a few years time. Flashlights have finally gone mainstream, and we collectors can finally come out of the closet, and take our rightful place in society , without fear of ridicule or shame. I for one am a proud custom flashlight owner, how about you?
Please make more lights for us your humble fans,
Zandar

Zandar

Enlightened
Great to hear, I too am looking forward to the fabled 10180 light. If only I wasn't making soo many grammatical errors today. That's at least 3 in one sentence.

Every day, I'm getting one step closer of having all components on hand. Making the first batch of a new light, making me excited and nervous at the same time...but that never deters me from coming up with new designs:)
Great to hear, I too am looking forward to the fabled 10180 light. If only I wasn't making soo many grammatical errors today. That's at least 3 in one sentence.

Great job. That is amazing you could make it that tiny!

15.1mm = 19/32"/.59"!!! Not even 6/10 of an inch!:cool:

Thank you Capolini, it was one of these builds, that I wasn't sure, if it will happen, but it is tiny, and I don't think I could make it any smaller...maybe a little:)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really amazing, I like the fact that you grinded down the emitter so you can have a shorter length :-D.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really glad that you posted these images - in an enlarged way. If it were life size, I could never see it well enough to appreciate what you have accomplished.

To help me visualize it a bit more in my own mind, I compared it to resistor sizes. About as small as my fumbly fingers care to work with is a 1206 size and that light is just barely larger at 1506 size.

The lathe that you use must be quite rigid to pull that off.

I am really glad that you posted these images - in an enlarged way. If it were life size, I could never see it well enough to appreciate what you have accomplished.

To help me visualize it a bit more in my own mind, I compared it to resistor sizes. About as small as my fumbly fingers care to work with is a 1206 size and that light is just barely larger at 1506 size.

The lathe that you use must be quite rigid to pull that off.

Thank you HarryN, I've thought about it long, how to post the small size of it in perspective so everyone has something to compare to....It did take quite an effort to machine it, but assembly was more difficult. It would be fairly simple making it on an cnc lathe, but assembly would still be a pain every time (This is the reason I'm not offering any for sale...maybe in the future:)

Spanky06

Newly Enlightened
This is awesome! I'm about to start on my first build but nothing this small, a 20mm triple. Great work! I've worked on some tiny parts in the medical manufacturing industry they can really be a pain.

This is awesome! I'm about to start on my first build but nothing this small, a 20mm triple. Great work! I've worked on some tiny parts in the medical manufacturing industry they can really be a pain.

Thank you Spanky, it's always a good idea to start with one that's relatively easy and well documented, in case you run into some issues. I love challenging and unique builds, and I will have some really cool concepts to post early next year:)

Not only an amazing project but great photos too! :thumbsup:

I appreciate the kind words Icarus, I spend quite a long time shooting a project, without the proper presentation, it's hard to show off your work, unless you can show it off in person...

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Very cool "micro light" George. (If any light deserves this name it's this one :)