The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

So I ran this flashlight on High for circa 15 - 20 mins yesterday while leaving it lying horizontally on a wooden table. I did this because I used it as a source of illumination for something that I was doing.

When I grabbed the unit to shut the light off, the body was very hot. It was too hot to hold for more than a couple of seconds in my bare hands.

Is this normal and would it shorten the LED's life?

Thanks.

I believe it is normal based on the output from the LED, but I don't think it will shorten the LED's life if Surefire designed it correctly. If the LED dies or dims significantly due to the heat, Surefire will make it right and fix/replace it for you.

What battery configuration are you running?

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
I believe it is normal based on the output from the LED, but I don't think it will shorten the LED's life if Surefire designed it correctly. If the LED dies or dims significantly due to the heat, Surefire will make it right and fix/replace it for you.

What battery configuration are you running?

Thanks for the comforting reminder of SureFire's 'lifetime of the owner' guarantee :)

I'm sure they designed it right. If SureFire gets it wrong, no one else will get it right lol!.

I'm running the same batteries that came with the unit, i.e. the original original SureFires CR123A x 2. :)

Cheers.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comforting reminder of SureFire's 'lifetime of the owner' guarantee :)

I'm sure they designed it right. If SureFire gets it wrong, no one else will get it right lol!.

I'm running the same batteries that came with the unit, i.e. the original original SureFires CR123A x 2. :)

Cheers.

Good, just wanted to see if you were running primaries, one 17670, or two RCR's.

I would say use the crap out of it and if it breaks, let Surefire know :)

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Hi guys,

So I ran this flashlight on High for circa 15 - 20 mins yesterday while leaving it lying horizontally on a wooden table. I did this because I used it as a source of illumination for something that I was doing.

When I grabbed the unit to shut the light off, the body was very hot. It was too hot to hold for more than a couple of seconds in my bare hands.

Is this normal and would it shorten the LED's life?

Thanks.
It's completely normal. It's not ideal for the LED but it should stand that without problems.

shramj

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of batteries, has anyone noticed a difference with the brightness between regular CR123's and RCR123's?

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
I've read somewhere that RCR123s are slightly brighter on this unit. cland72, I wasn't aware that this flashlight can be powered by 17670s. Wouldn't 3.2v be too low for this unit? Even if it worked would that be over driving the driver?

Thanks.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read somewhere that RCR123s are slightly brighter on this unit. cland72, I wasn't aware that this flashlight can be powered by 17670s. Wouldn't 3.2v be too low for this unit? Even if it worked would that be over driving the driver?

Thanks.

I've been using my AW protected 17670 for about 2-3 weeks now and it works just fine. It isn't over driving the driver because the driver is expecting 6 volts. If anything, I would imagine I'm prolonging the life of the driver.

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
ok it appears that the driver's a constant current driver, which is the same stuff that I use in my home made burning laser pointers. Here's what I did, I measured the current draw from 2 x SureFire's CR123A primaries stacked in series and got an initial reading of 1.8A which dropped to about 1.5A after a few seconds. I observed the same behaviour when I then powered the unit with a single 18650 battery.

I therefore think that with the same current going through the driver it shouldn't affect the life of the driver's circuitry at all.

I'd happily stand corrected if someone points out a mistake with my thought process here.

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
going back to my previous question, I'm now starting to suspect that the unit reached such high temperatures because I left it on the table. Under normal circumstances the user's hand would absorb some of the heat energy and channel that away from the flashlight. It's therefore not good to run these units in such manner. Am I making sense?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constant current would be my guess as well. It was slightly brighter with LiFePO4 in my runtime test.

That is correct. It's intended for handheld use, so some of that heat would be dissipated to your body. It got quite hot in my runtime test as well.

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
Constant current would be my guess as well. It was slightly brighter with LiFePO4 in my runtime test.

That is correct. It's intended for handheld use, so some of that heat would be dissipated to your body. It got quite hot in my runtime test as well.

Thanks mate. I just read your review on the R1 Lawman. I wasn't aware of its existance :p Anyway given the fact that it uses the same CREE XM-L LED but puts out 50% more lumens, then the Fury's 500 lumens output shouldn't be stressing it too hard hence I should be too worried about how hot it got the other day, right?

By the way, do you know whether these XM-L LEDs are the T6 or U2?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It quickly drops down from 750 to 500 lumens, and it's got a larger heatsink, so it doesn't run quite as hot as the Fury. Besides, if a light ran cool, as I would be even more worried as there might not be any heatsinking. ;)

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
It quickly drops down from 750 to 500 lumens, and it's got a larger heatsink, so it doesn't run quite as hot as the Fury. Besides, if a light ran cool, as I would be even more worried as there might not be any heatsinking. ;)

cool cheers. do you know about the LEDs? T6 or U2? Thanks.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I didn't ask about it. Does it make a difference? If you're worried about tint, neither of my lights have green tints.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
I have had three different furys, each varying in tint. One of them had a very green tint. I have one fury right now.and needless to say kept the one with the most attractive tint:naughty:l

67RS/SSx2

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Fury (and three other lights) from Battery Junction about a week or so ago. The Fury was backorderd, they originally said it would ship 5/10. Got an email today saying it (and all others) shipped today. Hooray! I can't wait to play with my new toys! :rock::twothumbs

We now return to the regularly scheduled thread.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember the body of the light is getting hot because it is doing it job as a "heatsink" I would not worry about it,

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one think that the Fury is the perfect flashlight for the urban environment. It is bright enough to light up areas where there is always ambient light from the urban lighting systems.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks.

Mine ran the same on the primaries as on RCR123's as far as brightness. Its regulated to produce a steady output regardless of voltage (within range of course).

Lights without that circuit may be set to maintain brightness if voltage drops below a certain range, but can also run brighter with more voltage.

if 2 RCR (3.7 v) are not brighter, I don't see 2 lipo 3.2 v being brighter, as their difference is even slighter. If the AMP draw is a limiting factor, perhaps that would fight sag better?

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know and I will move it.

I am thinking of the P2X Fury for dual use as "walking the neighborhood" and bike light for local riding until I can decide on a proper bike light system. Two questions. Does it accept a pocket clip? I saw one mention that it did but can't find other references. Also, I see the bezel measurement mentioned but not the body diameter. Will it fit into the Fenix Bike Mount (18-28mm)?

Thanks

Tom