• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium "Haiku"

brucec

Enlightened
Hi Don,
Thanks for answering the runtime question and providing details about the improvements to the LE thermal transfer. Very cool, indeed! At 650mA on high driving a Q5, it sounds like the Haiku is the brightest single CR123 McGizmo Ti light to date. Do you care to comment on the regulation on high (sloping from 140-100 over 1 hr)? Looking forward to next week!

Bruce

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scout24,

I don't want to ignore your question nor do I want to bring price discussion up in this thread. I will post the price ahead of the wave but I would like to keep this thread on the light itself even though I realize that price is certainly part of the equation! (loveit even takes the question a real step into Haiku) :)

Bernie,
You will know soon enough as your Haiku should be arriving any day now. I am concerned that you may have expectations that ultimately are beyond the reality but I trust you will be candid should that be the case. Your reviews have raised the bar for all of us and I wanted to make your task of adding this light to the FAQ a little easier for you. :nana: (I still expect your own take on this light both pro and con)

BruceC,

Yes, this is the brightest single cell light I have built by virtue of the LED itself as well as the drive current. I played with higher drive currents in the past and saw similar curves that were not flat as one would expect. Looking at the current demand on the battery, I am not surprised that the curve is not flat. I attribute some of the drop at least initially to heat but I expect that this curve is more representative of the power curve of the battery. It would be interesting to see what the curve would be with a R123 if it is capable of more power even if over a shorter period. I could have set the drive current even higher but I don't like the thermal ramifications nor do I like the idea of a curve that drops even more. It looks like the converter is capable of sucking most of the power out of the battery and I noticed that there was still light coming out when I ended the test which was after more time than the graph even shows. In real world use, these lights will see a whole bunch of stop and start and at different levels of output.

I am not so hot on run time tests any more because I think they can be as misleading as they are illuminating. On the other hand, they do provide a handle to grab provided one doesn't put too much weight on it!

And you guys I haven't singled out or specifically addressed, I do appreciate your comments and I have read them. :eek:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thank you for your response, as well as your patience with someone new to your threads! Sorry, my poetic bent is on the fritz...

loveit

Enlightened
This is a beauty!
With McGizmo quality,
How can you go wrong?

Many are watching
For the release of this light
I really need one!

Creative writing
Is a class I teach today:
Haiku plus much more.

This light could be used
As a prop for my teaching.
Oh, do I NEED one!

The Coach

Enlightened
Don's lights are no joke
More like brilliant works of art
Why must I be broke?

:devil:

Last edited:

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Hi guys,
Tomorrow afternoon (2-10-09) I will be launching a wave of Titanium Haiku lights. These will go for $445 plus shipping. The initial wave will consist of ~ 40 lights and depending on how the wave passes through, I may add to it or decide to stop it and launch another later on.

Hello Don,
If someone wanted to run strickly on 17670 would you offer this head with the Ti 2x123 pak?
Thanks,
Frank

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by McGizmo
The Haiku is 3 5/8" (92 cm) long.
Nice Don,
A light for us with big hands. Very good looking.
Good Selling!!

A beautiful light, definitely on my early spring wish list.

For us europeans: with 92 cm we would need really big hands, beats a 6 D-cell Mag by a good margin. :D

9.2 cm is more like it (converting 3.615 inches), well, what's a missing decimal point when it comes to such a great light? :)

loveit

Enlightened
I will ride this wave
To the poor house if must be.
Sweet titanium!

Tomorrow will be
The time to finally see
If one is for me!
:popcorn:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...just realized....is there no tritium on this light? Any way to get place some that anyone can think of?
The trit has become one of my favorite features of my McG's...just roll over and I can find them in the darkest room or tent...not only find them, but I can place my hand in the position to hold and light them.

loveit

Enlightened
Tritium is cool.
I don't see any in this.
But that won't stop me.

Could this be a mod
Taken on by someone else
Who is talented?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hello Don,
If someone wanted to run strickly on 17670 would you offer this head with the Ti 2x123 pak?
Thanks,
Frank

Frank,
I don't want to confuse this wave with any alternatives that I hadn't stocked up on or planned on. If I were to show a pic of the Haiku on the 2x123 McClickie pak, I think I could be assured some extra confusion, added e-mails and some hair loss (which I can't aford!) :nana:

That said, if you know that you have a 17670 that will work in the 2x123 pak, send me an e-mail and we can discuss. I am also concerned about guaranteeing that there is no potential for short on the contact PCB if the battery has a large diameter contact nubbin?!?!

herrgurka,

I knew I had a good chance of screwing up the metric measure and of course you are right. 92 mm or 9.2 cm :eek:

And to all of us poets, :wave:

The Coach

Enlightened
OK, maybe I was sleeping that day in school (or in shop class), but aren't these poems supposed to rhyme? :thinking: