• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two beautiflul things: one manmade and one made heavensent. :)

The fish eye lens is amazing in how distant and small the target appears but underwater, you really want to minimize the distance to target. It practice this often means that you hold the camera at arms length to get it as close to the target as possible with out crowding the target with your head right behind the camera and looking through the eye piece. It is easy to miss the focus you want because the center of the lens may be off the target completely and the camera attempting to find focus in empty water.

In these shots I held the camera probably a foot away from the sapphire and at arms length as I swam along. The water clarity was not great and in many cases, the backscatter from the ambient light ruined the image.

Below is one last image offering:

DSC_1289.jpg

In mechanical and man made items, form can often follow function with pleasing results. In nature, form will also follow function but at a level of complexity that we are often taken by the beauty of the form with little appreciation for the function; if even understanding it.

I believe that many of us can appreciate the image above for any number of reasons. I also believe that certain comments and trains of discussion can detract from it as well as even render it inappropriate to share. Without respect, can there be true appreciation? If you do appreciate the image above, please show respect for it and the subject (as well as photographer).

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all due respect to the photographer, the image, and the subjects(both natural and man made), that is a wonderful image. The number of textures, you can feel them....you can feel the water, which is invisible but for how it affects the light and the postuire of the human subject. You can feel the chain on skin, the fabric of the bathing suit on skin.

Thank you for sharing.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Nice photos. You've combined all the elements that make us drool.

One of these days, I will have to consult with you in how to take underwater photos. I went diving once in Curacao and the scene was absolutely stunning. I'm willing to invest in an underwater housing, but still have a lot of questions about how to take proper underwater photos. I'll have to do some research before my next diving trip ... probably in 2-3 months.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys,

There is so much beauty over here and I do like to try capture it in a still image. There is much that we can enjoy and appreciate even though it is out of our reach. (Ever try to take a sunset home with you? :nana:)

This is a public forum and not a locker room. If I had my way, there would be more appreciation and respect and more allowed in the "public". There is a fine line and if crossed, to the locker room we be sent. :eek:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm very curious Don-are the chain and splitrings Ti or another material? Also, have you had any problems with the "chip" key for the car after immersion in salt water? Professional curiosity, I've been a mechanic for 22 years, with a four year detour to serve Uncle Sam. We have seen problems with those keys after freshwater immersion, I can't imagine the salt is terribly good for them. :eek:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scout,
All components are titanium. Fortunately, the 1999 GMC key is not a chip key. I think it's a bummer that so many of the keys now are electronic or have electronics embedded. I don't knock the utility but give me a dumb key that I can dunk and not worry about or give me keyless entry so I don't need to take a key with me in some cases. The last two vehicles I have owned have electric door locks and I have installed a hidden momentary switch so I can lock the keys in the vehicle and still gain access.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Scout,
All components are titanium. Fortunately, the 1999 GMC key is not a chip key. I think it's a bummer that so many of the keys now are electronic or have electronics embedded. I don't knock the utility but give me a dumb key that I can dunk and not worry about or give me keyless entry so I don't need to take a key with me in some cases. The last two vehicles I have owned have electric door locks and I have installed a hidden momentary switch so I can lock the keys in the vehicle and still gain access.

When I got my car, it came with two electronic "remote access" keys and a dumb "valet" key.

By the way I love my sapphire! It is an awesome little light. My wife keeps borrowing it so I might have to pick up a second one at some point, though I am trying to save up for a Haiku.

On a side note, have you ever thought of branding your lights? Like with a PK or Leef type logo?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

On a side note, have you ever thought of branding your lights? Like with a PK or Leef type logo?

I have given it some consideration but have mixed feelings about it. There were some of the Aleph 1 heads that were laser engraved. Any marking like this is cosmetic in nature and adding to the price for purely cosmetic purposes has not been a priority (beyond some of the splash anodize lights and special plating done on some of the Aleph's and AL PD's).

Branding would also take these lights a further step towards legitimacy and away from "experimental" or "hobby" with possible expectations I am in no position to support. :shrug: The machine shop does have a laser engraver but I have yet to see a sample on Ti or discuss the added cost of engraving with them.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If I were to decide to go with a Logo, I suspect it would be something rather personal and something I came up with myself. As a signature, as it were, I would think this would be understandable? :thinking: :shrug:

Probably something simple with Mc as its basis.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If .... As a signature, as it were, I would think this would be understandable? :thinking: :shrug:

Absolutely.

My preference, though, is to stay sterile. I'm already a walking advertisement for far more companies than I prefer.

Last edited:

moeman

Enlightened
How about just the :nana: smiley?

Actually i don't think they need any logo's, they speak for themselves.

Last edited:

sygyzy

Enlightened
How about sticking to NOT labeling them. Nobody mistakens your lights for anything but. Less is more sometimes.

Barefootone

Enlightened
If I were to decide to go with a Logo, I suspect it would be something rather personal and something I came up with myself. As a signature, as it were, I would think this would be understandable? :thinking: :shrug:

Probably something simple with Mc as its basis.

Don, absolutely :thumbsup: they are your creations and should bare your own logo of choice if you so desire one :thinking:.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
How about just the clips if at all? I think I prefer my McGizmos tastefully naked. Um, the lights that is.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The machine shop does have a laser engraver

It's interesting that almost every custom knife maker marks their blade, either by laser, photo etch, stamping, or some other method. I'd like to see at least a serial number, so a particular light could be tracked as to when it was made.

Latest posts