• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don, sounds good. Same price point? This may be my first Ti McGizmo light. :D

Bill

Bill,
The Sapphire's offered with the Nichia 3 mm DS will be the same price as last time. Since this is all well in the works but still vapor, I don't want to discuss it much more. Until I get the light engines back from Arc and the titanium parts from the machine shop, all I have to work with is words and they won't get us anywhere....

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I missed it in the 14 pages of this thread, but can anyone tell me the dimensions of this light?

Also, I know you don't want to discuss this further Don, but can you say if there are any planned changes between the first run and the next released batch?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Sapphire is 1/2" in diameter and roughly 2 13/16" in overall length.

The majority of the Sapphires in the next wave(s) will be identical to those of this first wave.

MWClint

Enlightened
What about the minority? What'll be different? :poke:

xpe pills maybe? one can dream. :)

for a p4, would be nice to see a few heads bored out with the material shown inside the red box removed. then you can file small notches into the p4
emittor to allow enough room to solder on some leads..works great with the
arc circuit. on a mill/lathe this extra head work is probably quite trivial. by
hand, it's a monumental exercise.

sap8.jpg

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just traded into one of these awesome little lights! It bumped out my Arc-P, and is now on my key chain. I am beyond thrilled to say the least!!! :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

scout24

Flashaholic
Oops! or you can check Don's thread about the Sapphire with high cri, I believe there are some comparison shots.
Greg

cy

Flashaholic
tried EDC sapphire on a neck lanyard, but it simply didn't have enough lumens to be a primary EDC light.

though about using sapphire on a key chain.... but couldn't bear the though of sapphire getting all scratched up. guess I should get over it and stick it in my pocket :green:

my ti PD has got all sorts of scratches from pocket EDC duties. so it's not like I've not done it before.

It bumped out my Arc-P, and is now on my key chain.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
tried EDC sapphire on a neck lanyard, but it simply didn't have enough lumens to be a primary EDC light.

though about using sapphire on a key chain.... but couldn't bear the though of sapphire getting all scratched up. guess I should get over it and stick it in my pocket :green:

my ti PD has got all sorts of scratches from pocket EDC duties. so it's not like I've not done it before.

You EDC'd a Titan and you're worried about scratching up a Sapphire on a keychain? :thinking: Yup!! You should get over it!! :poke: :laughing: :wave:

I agree -- Sapphire is not bright enough for me to use as a primary light -- I always have my PD-S or LS-27 on me, even at noon. But I do find the Sapphire is becoming my go to light in a lot of cases. Last night I had it clipped onto the string in the hood of my sweatshirt. It was so unobtrusive I forgot it was even there!!

It is SO nice having a quality light on my keys. I never did get around to getting my Draco, so this one really fills a need. In fact, it fills it so well, I need a second one to EDC!! That's right, I am planning to EDC *TWO* of these plus a PD. One that lives on the keys full time, and one that floats where it's needed. Of course, I'll need to be able to tell them apart, so I'll just HAVE to get one of the High CRI Sapphires when I am able.... unless one of them turns out to be ORANGE.... :D

phoster

Newly Enlightened
A very practical jewel of light. Excellent description and photos. Very well done.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sapphires don't have a foam ring. If you're referring to the Ti Arc, you can probably contact Arc for replacements.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops - you're right. I did, too. I didn't install it, though, as Don said he didn't think that they weren't needed...I think.