Enlightened
Kel-Lite 2D small head

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

Kel-Lite 2D vs Maglite 2D

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the 1D from last November and the 2D from this September? Both your 1Ds are particularly early, given the bezels with the external chamfer. That didn't last as long as other hallmarks of early models.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Wow! Impressive! How do you know that? Are you marking every Kel-Lite sold on Ebay:yellowlaugh:
Thanks for this information. Now I know how to identify an early version.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I remember the 1D from last year because I missed bidding on the pair. I don't have an example of an early Kel-Lite with a D-ring tailcap.

Edited my first post because I can't prove the external chamfer on small heads outlasted the thin switches, but it's one of those features from the first couple years of manufacture. Large heads with external chamfers lasted much longer, into the early-mid '70s depending.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling the design of the early small heads restricted the beam in a way the large ones didn't, but dunno. I actually haven't properly spoken to Don. I really should but the questions I want to ask keep changing as I learn stuff.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really should but the questions I want to ask keep changing as I learn stuff.

That's a good sign - at least you're still learning stuff!!

I should also clarify that my comment about 'pocket friendliness' was with respect to the chamfer rather than the size, although I guess both factors are in play.

Very cool lights though!

konifans

Enlightened
The super long Kel-Lite BTL 26 is a 12C but it should be super heavy with 12 nicads.
Maybe a shorter Kel-Lite / Maglite with four li-ions?
Or a 3D with three 3AA serial adapters = 14.4V.
I am not sure if the stock lens / reflector / socket can resist the heat of a 12-cell bulb.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I weighed one with 12 Cs and it'd be three pounds with the balance of a solid metal bar. There's a reason they were designed to just use 5 cells.

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
I carried a 5-cell Kel-Light for years. They weren't that bright and had a mediocre beam. Then Streamlight came along. But their batteries never lasted a full shift so I had to pack 2 extra batteries in my briefcase. The car charger just didn't charge fast enough. It was still a better way to go than with a Kel-Light.

Lights have come a long way. Lots of light, compact form factor, good spill and throw, and multiple levels so news lights can last a whole shift with a little photon managing. No longer the Dark Ages.