The world is going to change this is remarkable

turbodog

Flashaholic
BS on free energy. Plain and simple.

If you're misinformed that it's possible to create energy out of thin air by putting a belt/generator on the axle of your car... you really missed out on HS science.

Carbon fiber has a nasty habit of catastrophic failure from crack propagation, not something that works well with underbody components exposed to water, salt, rock impacts, etc... with no way to inspect for damage. And this ignores the difference in mass when involved in a head-on collision.... short version, you're toast.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for flying cars. Maybe another 20 years away.
The way people drive, imagine how they will fly. But in all seriousness, it may just come in not so distant future, but not flying cars, manned drones. technology already exists and tested, even diyers build drones and fly them, if you can fly, land/take off vertically, who needs driving on land. traffics alone is reason enough to quit driving, since you are from NYC too, you understand what i'm talking about,

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The way people drive, imagine how they will fly. But in all seriousness, it may just come in not so distant future, but not flying cars, manned drones. technology already exists and tested, even diyers build drones and fly them, if you can fly, land/take off vertically, who needs driving on land. traffics alone is reason enough to quit driving, since you are from NYC too, you understand what i'm talking about,
Unfortunately, yes I do. I'll drive in other parts of this city but I refuse to drive in Manhattan.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think you guys are missing the important point here… when will I be able to buy my handheld nuclear fusion flashlight? :ROFLMAO:
mr_fusion_replica.jpg

I can't wait for this one ;)

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inertial fusion reactors like the one in the press conference today have at least the potential to be cheaper & faster to build once everything is figured out and components start being mass produced. A 50% net gain in output is a significant step forward, but still far away from commercialization. The power it took to drive those 2mw lasers was many times greater. But since this is an experimental reactor it was never built for efficiency. Most importantly this was a proof of concept which showed that fusion is possible. If you consider that much of the technology used was from the 80s or 90s, combined with improvements in target manufacturing, significant efficiency gains are possible.

A functioning fusion reactor would mean the USAs total Independence in terms of energy & together with potential military applications (it was no coincidence defence applications were mentioned a lot in the conference) this has serious potential to get a lot of funding very soon, heavy government subsidization, similar to the space program in the 1960s. I didn't really look much into this as I wanted to wait for the official press conference. Certainly exciting times.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm working on something that uses the ocean currents and waves to power small community's .I'm stuck as how I can do it with out ruining the view of are ocean

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not on the axle, maybe someone needs to read again, and then again,
CF is used to build airplanes, F1 cars, supercars.. so cracks issue are pretty much solved. or only existed in poor quality CF.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I mean, solar/hydro/wind & geothermal are essentially free once they are built.

I'm talking about the idiots that believe a car can self-charge as it drives, an over unity efficiency.

And if I've got to buy/lease land, provide transmission lines, build a device, manage it, insure it, maintain it, etc.... then it's not free. It might have a favorable return on investment, but it's not free.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm talking about the idiots that believe a car can self-charge as it drives, an over unity efficiency.

And if I've got to buy/lease land, provide transmission lines, build a device, manage it, insure it, maintain it, etc.... then it's not free. It might have a favorable return on investment, but it's not free.
Don't call them idiots turbo trust me I'm old and I learned everyone in this world is a genius and a idiot . My point is it's what you look for in them..

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like the idiot in this thread is you, for 2 reasons.
1 no one talks overunity here. not even close. we are talking about up and down motion, that normally absorbed by springs/struts, and energy wasted, nor anyone thinks it will make enough power to charge fully, only to add a little the way regen braking does.
2 free in this context means free fuel to operate, as in free wind, free water falling, free waves. Everyone understands it costs money to build and maintain. smh

turbodog

Flashaholic
CF is used to build airplanes, F1 cars, supercars.. so cracks issue are pretty much solved. or only existed in poor quality CF.

You realize you just named 3 items that are known for thorough, frequent inspections and more or less low in-service hours.

So go back and read my post about rough service and no inspections.

This still doesn't address the mass inequality when you had a head on with a suburban/tahoe/expedition/f250/minivan/etc.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Another idea....

If they can build a combustion engine that can put out 600+ hp and meet current pollution regs they can certainly build a battery powered car that can charge itself, if not completely at least greatly extend the usesbility range.

That patent is for for patent trolling, not anything useful.

Tons of stuff is _possible_ but not all is _probable_ (read: affordable, economically viable, etc).

Latest posts