The world is going to change this is remarkable

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Member TD is known for his style, his posture regarding disagreement. He also contributes ideas and experiences.

That said:

2CE06C7F-C147-4CE2-977B-2D942F50E6AA.jpeg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we start listing things we previously thought impossible but made it into reality, we'd have a very long thread.

I believe anything IS possible, if not today tomorrow it will. It usually surpasses our expectations too.
Remember back to the future 2, where they went from 1985 to 2015, the movie was made in late 80s, they had future version of payphones in 2015, but in reality payphones were obsolete in 2015. yet in late 80s they imagined we'd fly on hoverboards, have size adjustive clothing, yet they never thought everyone was gonna carry their own phone.
Imagine if medieval knights saw weapons' and vehicles we have today, if anyone would imagine anything like that back then, they'd be burned alive as heretics and witches

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for flying cars. Maybe another 20 years away.
Some things are just not mainstream practical. It will probably take 20 years to find out if magnetic chamber laser fusion is practical. Billions of dollars have already been spent with many many more to come. God willing it will work.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Is it true when they first started the first reactor they wasn't sure if it would destroy the world?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fact is they (the smarter ones) weren't sure how to dispose of nuclear waste.. So they put into steel drums and dumped off CA Bay Area coast near the Farallon Islands wildlife sanctuary..

I believe they also buried same barrels of nuc waste in the Nevada desert..

Both dump sites, containers have since corroded and are leaking.

I heard in the NV desert, there's a new breed of mouse that eats feral cats 🙀

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the antarctic wasn't a nature reserve it'd be ideal for waste disposal. Just drill some couple kilometer deep holes somewhere midlands & stack the waste containing concrete cylinders in there. Top off afterwards with more concrete, done. Well, I guess you'd have to get through the ice first :unsure:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was concern for some kind of possible runaway fusion reaction if I remember correctly. Was hoping other more informed members would contribute.

New Mexico has a nuclear waste facility underground in a salt deposit. The idea is that the (somewhat) molten salt will eventually entomb the radioactive material. (Waste Isolation Pilot Plant-WIPP?). Los Alamos Lab has a lot of waste to send to southeast New Mexico but the city of Santa Fe did not want it going through their population, so a bypass was built around them.

Of more game changing (near future) potential than laser fusion is this advancement largely propelled forward by all the money that was thrown at COVID vaccine technology:

Taking tumor material from an individual then crafting an mRNA vaccine from that. Potential for other cancers.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There was concern for some kind of possible runaway fusion reaction if I remember correctly. Was hoping other more informed members would contribute.

New Mexico has a nuclear waste facility underground in a salt deposit. The idea is that the (somewhat) molten salt will eventually entomb the radioactive material. (Waste Isolation Pilot Plant-WIPP?). Los Alamos Lab has a lot of waste to send to southeast New Mexico but the city of Santa Fe did not want it going through their population, so a bypass was built around them.

Of more game changing (near future) potential than laser fusion is this advancement largely propelled forward by all the money that was thrown at COVID vaccine technology:

Taking tumor material from an individual then crafting an mRNA vaccine from that. Potential for other cancers.
This sounds really promising. While it doesn't seem (so far) that this will lead to a single vaccine against cancer, it suggests that there could be individualized vaccines for specific cancers based on the patient's own cells.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Sorry, I'm not one of the more informed. I wondered if it could happen; like a perpetual motion machine. I think though that it needs fuel to run, so if one could cut off the fuel, it would be dead on arrival.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm not one of the more informed. I wondered if it could happen; like a perpetual motion machine. I think though that it needs fuel to run, so if one could cut off the fuel, it would be dead on arrival.
But if the fusion reaction only requires water as fuel, and copious amounts of energy are being expressed, and escapes containment? Enough water in the air for a fuel source? Dunno.

Latest posts