Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
Things I learned the hard way....

Don't toss a baby up in the air right after they have had a bottle.

Tony Clifton

Newly Enlightened
When picking up an unfamiliar flashlight to try it out, point it away from your eyes before turning it on. I saw a co-worker's flashlight sitting on a desk the other day, so I picked it up to check it out, and (click) OWW!. Yeah, that's a decent light. :eek:
oNp9lJT.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Learned today that McDonald's mozzarella sticks don't actually have any cheese in them. I found 4 out of 6 had almost no cheese whatsoever and the remaining 2 were certainly not filled with stringy and stretchy cheese like the picture. Look, this is Wisconsin man, I've eaten hundreds of fried cheese curds and sticks in my life, and these suck. Go peddle your crappy mozz sticks somewhere else. [emoji36]

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have learned the hard way that falling doesn't have to hurt one bit when you just let yourself fall (and a little help from JUDO classes). The best part is when you get up like a superstar right after people go "I think he's dead!!!" I can't even start telling that story, but what fun it was to know how that asphalt trace got on my favorite t-shirt !

Poppy

Flashaholic
When assembling something for the first time, it pays to read the instructions!

One time... yeah, one of many times, (I guess I am not always the fastest learner) I put together an all plastic bird cage. It was really futuristic looking, and the best part was the food and water cups were built into the rounded corners, so that if the bird spit his food out the side of the dish, as those miserable little creatures do (and make a mess!) the food hits the inside of the rounded corner, and it falls back into the dish. Brilliant!

So the instructions are slide/snap A into B, snap C into D, and BEFORE you insert part E into F, do XYZ!
OK, so the natural progression is to insert E into F Opps!!! Now try to get those hard plastic pieces that are snapped together, apart without braking them. :(

This summer I helped my nephew add a deck to his house. When he was explaining to me about how very careful measurements needed to be made to insure that one of the supports aligned properly with the lower rail of the railing. I thought that it might be easier if we just had a long drill bit and drilled right through it to mark it in place. I decided to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! and there... plain as day we were told to lie the lower rail in place on the deck and to drill right through it.

My comment to him was along the lines of... when you have kids of your own, and have assembled enough Christmas toys, you'll have learned, that it PAYS TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I have learned the hard way that falling doesn't have to hurt one bit when you just let yourself fall
Some years back I was riding (bike) to work and car came out of nowhere. Rather than roll across the hood, I slammed on the brakes. Front tire locked up and I went over the handlebars and headfirst at the concrete. Tucked and rolled through it. Lost skin in several areas but no breaks or sprains. Healed up in a few weeks. Boss lady was at a party, standing on the grass. Lost her balance and proceeded to fall over. She put her hand out and jammed back her fingers. Few weeks later we were talking, held up her hand with finger split and asked how I recovered so fast.

10k years ago, if you hit the ground there was likely something there ready to puncture your abdomen. Hit it and die. Loosing a finger was way preferable. FFW to today and embrace the fall suddenly makes the most sense.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Things I learned the hard way. Hmm....

Probably the most important I ever learned was NOT to smart off to my Senior Drill Instructor at Marine Corps Boot Camp.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Watch the language. This is a family friendly forum. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Having a backup image of your hard drive is a good thing.

Having a valid backup image that you can actually use to restore from is way better. :ohgeez:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things I learned the hard way. Hmm....

Probably the most important I ever learned was NOT to smart off to my Senior Drill Instructor at Marine Corps Boot Camp.

That was an environment where it was good to learn from the mistakes of others. :)

Boot camp was one of those places that is much funnier in retrospect than it was at the moment.
Plus.. now I just feel sorry for my D.I.'s for having to deal with 80 teenagers, where a certain percentage were going to cause trouble. I wouldn't want their job.

Steve
(MCRD San Diego, platoon 3073, many years ago. Senior D.I. was SSgt Rosario)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother did rotc w/ the marines. I asked him about the notoriously tough marine drill sergeants and he said our mom was tougher. LOL, when your mom is more intimidating that a drill sergeant that's something.