Three-Cell 18650 Light

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a three 18650 cell light that can take a beating and still work? It'd be mostly for marine use, as a "just in case" for obstruction avoidance and finding port at night. A good mix between flood and spot "throw" would be ideal.

I was pretty keen on buying the ThruNite TN35, but I've heard mixed reports on how well it handles physical abuse. The light itself seems perfect for what I think I need in terms of beam pattern and brightness. I already have an EagleTac P25LC2 as a smaller single cell light.

Any help is greatly appreciated :cool:

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
What about Thrunite TN32?

I was hoping for a brand that was better built than ThruNite, and their TN32 is a dedicated thrower. Not much spill flood light compared to the TN35 which is a good mix of throw and flood.

ven

Flashaholic
The good old fenix tk51, still about and has been some bargain offers fairly recent. Very solid light, spot and flood and any mix of either you want.

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
The good old fenix tk51, still about and has been some bargain offers fairly recent. Very solid light, spot and flood and any mix of either you want.

I just looked up the TK51 based on your recommendation. I was hoping for something more comparable to the TN35 in terms of brightness. The TN35 is 2750 lumens, which is almost 1,000 lumens brighter than the TK51.

Can anyone personally attest to the robustness/durability of the TN35? I've seen YouTube videos of people abusing the crap out of their TN12's which hold up like a tank, but none of the TN35.

archimedes

Flashaholic
For robust durability / reliability, I would look to Malkoff, SureFire, or Elzetta.

Elzetta is mostly smaller torches, and I'm not sure what is the current big thrower by SureFire now ... the UDR Dominator, I guess ?

ven

Flashaholic
The tn35 seems a pretty solid light imo, the other thrunites i have had (tn32/tn36) have also been pretty solid. A slightly smaller(but similar) light is the acebeam k40M , maybe worth a look if you can find one.

markr6

Flashaholic
Malkoff HoundDog ... ?

Would need an extender, though, if you want to run 3x 18650.

I don't like long toilet plunger lights, but this is really the only thing I would trust seeing some abuse. The other popcan lights are nice, but not something I would trust. I love my Eagletac MX25L3C, but it seems too fragile.

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
No three or four cell 18650 lights that are at least as bright as the TN35??

It looks like the Hound Dog is only around 1000 lumens.

Taz80

Enlightened
Water tends to eat light and if there is a mist in the air its worse. The TN35 is more of a floody light with a little throw, and in hazy conditions the back scatter will make it hard to see very far. Lights like the TK75 or TM16 are more throw orientated lights with some flood, better yet would be the TM16GT.