[TIP] When Labeling your Rechargeables

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order to keep track of cell capacity, etc. I decided to use my labelmaker to serialize the cells.

Where to put the labels? Well, obviously not over the contacts. :naughty:

Remembering some really old cells I had, The paper wrapper would lift after a while. I figured I'd put the labels over the seam of the paper to help keep this from happening.

Bad idea.:ohgeez:

It turns out that battery manufacturers are using all the space toleranced in the size of the battery to get the highest capacity possible (maximizing volume). When you put a label over this, it can use enough space to keep it from sliding into battery tubes.

So what's my tip? I suggest NOT putting the label over the seam of the wrapper. Simply because there is already two layers of material at that part of the battery, putting a label over it makes a really tall lump. Instead, place the label beside the seam, where the overlap has finished.

So many words for such a small idea. I hope it helps someone else. :D

RobSpook

Newly Enlightened
I second the sharpie! I got all my cells serialized and keep track of where they are and the charges on them on my spreadsheet that no one was interested in... :whistle:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/143603
Note: Both spreadsheets work perfectly in OpenOffice, but have issues in Excel. I don't own Excel and can't fix it :)

Rob

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
...or use a Sharpie ;D
Yep. That's what I've been doing for years. Funny how I always get comments/questions from others about the numbers on my rechargeables. :whistle:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
I have thought of labeling mine, and have a few questions. Once I get my LaCrosse BC-900 I will first weed out the bad ones, and find out their capacities.

Then do I:

1) Mate similiar capacity batteries of the same kind(brand and advertised capacity), and how closely should they be in capacity, what is an acceptable variance?

2) Then number the batteries for each similiar capacity brand.

3) Write the capacity on each battery

Any other tips on labeling and keeping track in a spreadsheet, I'm thinking if they're numbered, I can reference the spreadsheet for capacities, or is it better to mark each battery.

greenLED

Flashaholic
EngrPaul said:
:huh2: This would be OK for people who can read their own writing.
How's that going to be different if you write directly onto the battery, or on an adhesive label? Just pretend you're a doctor or something.
:lolsign:

phenwick

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a Brother PC labelmaker and print the battery identifying number and date purchased on a1/2" label and the capacity and date charged on a 1/4" label. If the capacity stays in range I won't change the latter.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
+1 On the Sharpie method.

If you are creating sets of batteries that you want to keep together, use different colored Sharpies to put colored bands on the batteries. Then you can tell at a glance by color which set a battery belongs in. Some battery labels do not retain sharpie ink very well, in that case I use small pieces of masking tape (not over the seam :)) to put the battery number and colored bands on.

EssLight

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I use a sharpie too, and sometimes put a small strip of clear tape over
the marking to prevent it from rubbing off when handling the cells.
Some lights however wont even put up with a small thin clear tape
strip so i dont do it on cells for that, but have to rewrite the marking
sometime later when it starts to rub off.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the spreadsheet, I started one once but never kept up with it.
I tried labeling mine with a sharpie but it did wear off after a while.
I've been thinking of peeling the label off and replacing with my own label so as to not add too much thickness.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
MrAl said:
That's why i cover it with a strip of clear tape sometimes.

That's a useful idea, I just did that on a couple VersaPak batteries, where clearance is not an issue.

That gives me another idea, for a permanent marking, use a Sharpie, let it dry, then cover with clear paint or clear nail polish. That might work in applications with tight clearance.

EssLight

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Sharpie for me - I tried using labels from my handheld brother labeller but they just seemed to either make the cells too large for some lights or come off and "gum up the works" :awman: