TITAN PLUS

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Titan Plus in the mail today. My first impression is favorable. The threads are smooth and easy to operate. Modes change easily when you are firm and quick with changes. If you turn slowly or just a little, then the mode may not change or you may cause flickering. When I twist it with intent, the mode changes every time. The LED is well centered, but when I compare the Titan A and Titan Plus side by side, I realize my Titan A was off center just a little bit. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether Surefire used a sealant or O rings on these lights. When I look at both of mine, side by side, it appears they are O rings, and even though I can see the seal around the entire circumference of the light, more of the ring is exposed on one side of the ring than another. It appears to have nothing that would cause water to enter, but aesthetically it would look nicer if the amount exposed was consistent so I do think that QC decided that if it was not functionally significant to let it go and on an $89 light I would expect a little better. The beams on both are a little diffuse with moderate spill, and I would say midrange between cool & neutral with no green in either of my lights. Now the question that everyone has been asking: does it put out 300 Lumens. My answer 5 minutes after I opened the package was "Yes, it does put out 300 Lumens". A couple hours later and I have to amend it to "I am not sure". Before everyone calls me an idiot(and that is a possibility), I did a couple side by side comparisons and it looked very comparable to 300 lumen lights. Then I decided to see if it would put out 300 lumens for an hour. What caused my confusion is this: after 30 minutes on high, my eyes detected no change in the brightness of the beam, but when I turned on my Titan A to go to another room, all of the sudden I realized my 125 lumen light was about the same intensity as my 300 lumen light. So I "cycled" the Plus back through L-M-H, and suddenly the high beam was more than twice as bright as the "A" model. I checked my voltage, and the Plus was at 1.08 volts. Obviously I need to do some further research to give a more definitive review. But first, a couple more tidbits;
The instructions say the plus can run on NIMH, Alkaline or Lithium...doesn't say "Lithium Ion rechargeable or L-91
Lithium...so, being the intrepid adventurer I risked my brand new $89 Titan plus with an Energizer Lithium(worked fine) and also a 4.2 Efest(apparently Surefire expected this be the case and built in protection-the light will not turn on with the 4.2 Lithium.
The pocket clip on my Titan Plus is very secure. It is easily removable by following the instructions. The external cap clip would have impressed me a year ago, but since I have had an Olight I7r on my key ring for quite a while, I am spoiled. I keep my Olight on the "high" setting and when it comes off accidentally )a very RARE occurrence), it instantly catches my eye. The concept of a keychain light easily removable is a good one, but both Olight & Prometheus have done a slightly better job. That's it in a nutshell and I will try to post some photos as time permits.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks. I work far too much these days but will give further impressions and beam shots in the next few days. I particularly like the weight and balance. Feels very high quality.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....so, being the intrepid adventurer I risked my brand new $89 Titan plus with an Energizer Lithium(worked fine) and also a 4.2 Efest(apparently Surefire expected this be the case and built in protection-the light will not turn on with the 4.2 Lithium....

Woah :eek:

Are they in stock anywhere right now ?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious of water resistance with some consideration to the visually defective o'ring.

I imagine like other lights there is no rating, although SF has been consistent stating IPX7-30 minutes for all their larger lights.

Surely it can handle a glass of water, a couple feet in the pool? Anyone feeling ambitious for the sake of science?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's not even that. Having people who have never even seen or held a product coming in to trash for the sake of taking swings at the big names sucks. You look back, you'll find me saying that I feel SF has lost their way. I don't then come in and dogpile for the hell of it. I like the knurling on my new 600lm. Fury. Don't take swings at it's shortcomings already noted by others. Make a post and move on. You'll NEVER find me in a Klarus, Trustfire, Solarforce, etc. thread trashing their products. It's called being a grown up. You all want to pile on like children in the playground at recess. Let those with the lights post, maybe read their comments, move the hell on. It's gone way past the point of healthy discussion to people acting like idiots. What did your parents tell you? Nothing nice to say? **** off. I need my first vacation from here in almost seven years. Buncha ******* children.
Thanks for speaking what many of us are feeling. The atmosphere and posting manner is seeming better since the momentary closure.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The protection against over voltage from lithium ion cells is a nice touch. :)

Still curious to see what a 1.7volt lithium primary versus the packaged Eneloop Pro will do.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious of water resistance with some consideration to the visually defective o'ring.

I imagine like other lights there is no rating, although SF has been consistent stating IPX7-30 minutes for all their larger lights.

Surely it can handle a glass of water, a couple feet in the pool? Anyone feeling ambitious for the sake of science?

+1

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morning, folks. As it's early and I'm on my first cup of coffee this will be short - not a long review or a photo essay. Sean did an awesome job of providing all the photos we really need. (Thanks, Sean!) I'm just gonna share a few impressions.

I really like this light. If you have a Titan A the Plus feels familiar, but different. It has a heftier, more substantial feel. The slightly longer length helps with my large hands. The coating feels "better" to me and is slightly easier to grip. The levels are great, and 260 lumen (my sphere rating - brand new with the included cell at the received charge level) from an AAA light? Shoot, folks - most of us would have laughed at a claim like that just a few years ago.

My emitter is centered and my beam is not ringy. I can see a slight 'ring' against a white wall at the outer edge, but in my walk with the pup this morning it was nothing less than a near perfect, smooth beam of illumination. Tint is really nice - darn near neutral.

No, my o-ring isn't perfect visually. But it's clearly doing its job - the ring is visible all the way around the bezel/lens.

No, I'm NOT going to dunk it in water. Those who would like such a test, feel free to purchase a light of your own and dunk away.

Sean described the mode switching perfectly. I put a drop of nano oil on the threads and mine is buttery smooth for one-handed twisting. Low, then it seems to be medium/medium, then to high. It feels like that is INTENTIONAL - not a flaw - and I have no issue or quarrel with it. Odds are the 75 lumen setting is where mine will be used 75% of the time.

The snap on end cap with split ring probably won't come off by accident. Heck, it's hard to get off intentionally, although once you get the hang of it it's easier.

I wish that they had not included the extension for a split ring on the body proper. YMMV, but I plan to pocket carry this light and would rather have a flat end.

I am NOT a clip lover, but this one looks stable and isn't a bother. I'll leave it on and maybe just clip it to the outside of my pants pocket.

So I think the Plus is a winner, and as I have stated OVER and OVER, I am NOT a Surefire fanboy. I echo Scout24's comment that they have, in many ways, lost their way. My old 6P remains one of my favorite ever Surefires. I have a P2X Fury with Intellibeam and rarely use it.

But this light is a winner because I will use it every day, the true definition of EDC. It will be in my pocket when I need it, and will be there even if I decide to carry something brighter or more exotic.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning! Thanks for the beam shot. It is a beautiful beam and I am liking what I see. I don't think the UI is that much of an issue for me, whether intentional or not. I am not demanding when it comes to pocket lights and I think I will be happy with the Titan Plus. Not that it really matters much to me but if you could, please measure the output again after fully charging up the battery. Thanks for the write up! :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks, Kaichu Dento, and thank you to Bullseyebill for letting my post stand. By and large, the atmosphere here is positive with some constructive criticism. Glad to know I wasn't the only one frustrated enough to step outside the normal decorum here to call out the posting style that is becoming more prevalent here. Here's hoping that things stay civil!. My apologies to any old timers who were offended. :)

DimmerD

Enlightened
Got mine yesterday and I really like it, emitter is off center but it does not affect the beam so that doesn't bother me. Smooth one handed operation, switching is solid. I like the heft, it feels like a quality tool in your hand and it goes straight to the bottom of your pocket. I am not a clip person and that came off first, I may put it back on as it is the only thing that keeps it from rolling off of my nightstand.
Light output is impressive, will mostly be used on low and medium. Took it out back in the dark woods last night and it really lights things up nicely, it will be perfect as a backup light while tracking deer, can easily navigate on low. It will be replacing my current Atom A0 EDC for now, will have to see how it holds up.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Yes it is threaded, I inserted a small allen wrench in the rear hole and unscrewed it. There is an oring you have to remove that still holds the clip on after that, I put the oring back on and screwed the tail end back on.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own zero Surefire lights and reading this thread this light is incredible bargain if its less than $100 as some suggest.
To get a AAA at 300 Lumens you spend over $100 with Direct Drive lights and are dedicated 10440's from Peak Eiger to some custom mods by Vinh with his new driver which it too runs only on 10440.

Here you get the Surefire customer service and warranty plus performance that you could only get on direct drive from custom or Peak.....well this makes this the best per spec AAA out there today.

I have had most expensive AAA lights out there from McGizmo Saphire to Peak Eiger copper to Darksucks Beta Copper and even the Beta you pay a premium for the pocket clip and quick release key gadget.

Considering it comes with great accessories and its 3 mode and bright as heck on high...I sure hope I can still get one without paying a premium.

Can somebody please PM me the link for US seller offering these at under $100.

best,
bigC