TITAN PLUS

Phry

Banned
Seems to me to be far too many poor quality control issues, especially on a light this expensive.

These problems also don't seem fitting for a company that makes "The worlds finest illumination tools"

scout24

Flashaholic
Phry- So take it up with the moderators. Picked three brands that I don't care about, so you won't see me in those threads. Could have been any three. Did I strike a nerve? And yes, after listening to and watching both this and the original 125lm. Titan thread, "**** off" was entirely justified. Sorry you were offended, sorry you didn't read my last post apologizing to those who were offended. Stronger words were more than justified, but this is a fairly friendly place.

Edit- And to think I was more apologizing for my "g*****n children" comment.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Good morning Phry. Yes you have made your point, which I believe is a concise summary of one of your earlier posts in this thread (linked here for convenience of reference if other members are interested).

With regards to one of your concerns noted in another post, feel free to report trolling posts in threads on other light manufacturers. Volunteer staff members are not able to monitor all threads; however, witnessing poor behavior elsewhere on CPF does not provide license to do the same here. Further correspondence along these lines would best be handled by PM's.

Thanks and best regards,

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if 300 lumens would shorten the life span of the AAA eneloop? In another thread some mentioned that Zebralight's SC5 pulling 6amps from an AA eneloop may be quite taxing on the cell. Just wondering though.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info and feedback Ed:), mr run4jc, thanks for the pics, looks a useful nice amount of flood with good colour rendition..............i am wanting one!! Really like the clip idea too(snap cap!)

:)

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed, Ven. The ttint and beam profile look like more of a good thing in comparison to the 125lm Titan. Looked at B&H earlier, sold out. Boo. Waiting for more stock at the re-seller level, for the price break. First order of business is going to be grinding the lanyard point off, and polishing the brass that is exposed. Should be a nice pocket light for me, the "good clip junkie"...

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe we have 3-4 Titans in hand here. Thanks for the feedback thus far. Few questions.

Has anyone ran a test with a fresh cell to verify the full 300 lumen output?

Does anyone have a sample that does NOT flicker in anyway?

@ Crazy - Thanks for the water, what was the duration of being submerged?

Does anyone have the official water resistance on the light?

Does anyone have a sample with a properly installed o'ring?

Thanks.

kssmith

Enlightened
Here is my oring. It looks to be proper. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1441825989.372687.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1441825998.001457.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1441826006.620093.jpg

I just tested mine for flicker; ever so slight on low. Really have to pay close attention. On high, I can see the light dimming but I thing my battery is mostly dead. I'll try again tonight on a fresh battery.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my oring. It looks to be proper. View attachment 1046View attachment 1047View attachment 1048

I just tested mine for flicker; ever so slight on low. Really have to pay close attention. On high, I can see the light dimming but I thing my battery is mostly dead. I'll try again tonight on a fresh battery.

This is what I want to see. Very clean looking.

The other o'rings are not acceptable, neither is the flicker.

Thanks for the photo and the battery efforts!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reviews. I placed my order already.

I am eagerly waiting 2~4 weeks now and hopefully can attest what the tailcap current is with L91, NIMH, and Alkaline AAA. My guess is we are looking at 2A at tailcap or so.

best,
bigC

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eneloop is "supposed" to be fully charge. 300 lumens should come out of the box. ( I believe that might not be fully accurate as I think the other eneloops pros come @ 80%? ) The light is water resistant, not waterproof. It's a rugged keychain light. It was stated as rain proof. There is no official runtime @ 300 lumens available yet. It should be at least 300 lumens at peak output followed by a drop. The rep was very friendly and knowledgable about all aspects of the TITAN Plus.

- Per SF.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then I decided to see if it would put out 300 lumens for an hour. What caused my confusion is this: after 30 minutes on high, my eyes detected no change in the brightness of the beam, but when I turned on my Titan A to go to another room, all of the sudden I realized my 125 lumen light was about the same intensity as my 300 lumen light. So I "cycled" the Plus back through L-M-H, and suddenly the high beam was more than twice as bright as the "A" model.

It's currently impossible to get flat 300 lumens for an hour from a AAA NiMh.... a AA NiMh can't even do it. However, certainly do-able under ANSIs 10% rule. Sound like this light has a step down - it would certainly make sense to keep such a small light from burning up. Wonder where it kicks in and to what output.

Has anyone ran a test with a fresh cell to verify the full 300 lumen output?

The levels are great, and 260 lumen (my sphere rating - brand new with the included cell at the received charge level) from an AAA light?

IIRC, run4jc uses a true ANSI lumen scale - ties up with an HDS 325, much more lower than Selfbuilt. So 260 from a NiMh out of storage sounds like an easy 300 fresh off the charger to me. Very impressive.

Just can't understand why such a high low mode? 15 made some sense on the 2-mode version, but SF uses 5lm lows on plenty of its larger 2-mode lights.... why such a bright low (w/low runtime) for its lowest capacity, 3- mode light?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just can't understand why such a high low mode? 15 made some sense on the 2-mode version, but SF uses 5lm lows on plenty of its larger 2-mode lights.... why such a bright low (w/low runtime) for its lowest capacity, 3- mode light?
I don't see this as much of a problem. We have to understand lumens (which is the overall light output) does not equate to candela (output at the strongest point). With such a floody beam, the 15 lumens is going to be spread out into a larger area and reduce the overall brightness visually.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What pj said.
It goes to show that there is more to a flashlight than just lumens. Light design is a complex thing.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
There are American sellers selling it for $85. I got mine in the mail today. Nice light. My led seems fairly well centered. Only thing I see that is kinda goofy is that there is a white Oring that seals the front lens. It seems to be pinched. Perhaps from over torquing. I will try an take some pics here soon and post them. It is also slightly longer than the other Titan AAA.

EDIT: I just noticed SEAN's Oring looks pinched too.
You are right, that O-ring needs to be reinstalled. Not a major thing, but that would bother me. Could it affect the waterproofing of the front window?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Curious of water resistance with some consideration to the visually defective o'ring.

I imagine like other lights there is no rating, although SF has been consistent stating IPX7-30 minutes for all their larger lights.

Surely it can handle a glass of water, a couple feet in the pool? Anyone feeling ambitious for the sake of science?
For some time now, I am used to just rinsing my McGizmos, and Surefire's, off under running water in the kitchen sink when they get dusty, or lint on them. I think this light could be rinsed off as well, and you could take it swimming, however, I would want the O-ring installed properly, simply as a precaution, and matter of quality control principle.

I will be getting one from B & H, tell them of the O-ring issue and they will alert the picker and packer via computer. I have done this on lighting Eq. in the past that a great company had some minor QC problems on power supplies, and they did it for me. Now, on a small purchase, I don't know, but you can ask and see what they say. I hate to have to send anything back.

No matter B & H is a wonderful company and if you have never been there, make it your first stop when you go to New York. You won't believe it until you see it!

ADD: I want to say the O-ring is one thing, However, please, please DO NOT ask about centered LEDs! That is for people like us, they won't understand that - at all, so please don't abuse a tip I am aware of as a 25+ year customer. They can see the O-ring clearly.

Thank you,

RL

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some time now, I am used to just rinsing my McGizmos, and Surefire's, off under running water in the kitchen sink when they get dusty, or lint on them. I think this light could be rinsed off as well, and you could take it swimming, however, I would want the O-ring installed properly, simply as a precaution, and matter of quality control principle.

I will be getting one from B & H, tell them of the O-ring issue and they will alert the picker and packer via computer. I have done this on lighting Eq. in the past that a great company had some minor QC problems on power supplies, and they did it for me. Now, on a small purchase, I don't know, but you can ask and see what they say. I hate to have to send anything back.

No matter B & H is a wonderful company and if you have never been there, make it your first stop when you go to New York. You won't believe it until you see it!

Smart.

And yes, an out of place o'ring can definitely compromise the integrity of the seal. It doesn't necessarily mean the light will leak, but it's not optimal.

Out of everything on lights, I study the seals the most. Fluctuations in lens gaskets seem to be a rather common occurrence, although not normally to the extent that we see here.

An out of place o'ring will always have more potential to leak than a properly installed one as that's just design. It's not in the right spot, but as mentioned above it's not an all inclusive guarantee the out of spec sample will leak.