TITAN PLUS

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Does the Titan plus have the same life time guarantee as other SF lights ??

I believe the Titan A and Titan B are lifetime no hassle guarantee minus the battery but the Sidekick is a 1 year No hassle guarantee because the battery is not removable.

Which makes me wonder if the Sidekick battery is only rated for a 1 year duty cycle?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
So are they printing the serial number on the receipt for the Sidekick? Otherwise, how do they know how long ago you bought it? Say you bought a sidekick 12/2015 and another one 5/2017 and they get mixed up and you don't know which is which. 8/2017 one goes dead or starts to flicker. Since you lost track of which one is new and which one is over a year..... How does that work. Lol.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Rating them as follows (IIRC on the performance specs), it looks to be a toss-up:

Titan-A:

• 125 lumens for ~30 mins

Titan Plus:

• 75 lumens for ~2 hrs
  • ~300 lm burst mode
Is the low mode for each of them pretty much the same?

Thanks for this, now I understand, in regards to runtime, neither light is inefficient (nor much better, nor much worse) compared to competing AAA keychainers, instead, Surefire AAA cell lights use slightly different circuits that release the available AAA energy slightly differently. Just calling this "a user interface" masks everything else interesting about a flashlight except how to operate it.

teckul

Newly Enlightened
Patiently waiting for these to show up here in the UK :whistle:

(A well known UK gear supplier has them on back order ;))

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I just picked up the UPS shipment. Surefire replaced the Titan B I sent in with a new one. Bummer because I liked the low serial number. I received and new replacement with A06184 serial number. Came in a sealed Baggie. About 5 week turn around from when they received my flickering Titan to shipping back.

This one must be hand picked because the LED is perfectly centered, O-ring is perfectly set and beam is near flawless. No flickering.

Last edited:

Still Of The Night

Newly Enlightened
Patiently waiting for these to show up here in the UK :whistle:

(A well known UK gear supplier has them on back order ;))

Yup these seem to be rarer than Unicorns in the UK at the moment. I understood it a little more when there were back orders in the States but they seem readily available there now. I ended up ordering from a European authorized dealer when they said they had stock coming but i guess they had so many back orders that my order wasn't fulfilled even though i ordered before their stock arrived. Unfortunately it seems from their site they don´t even know when the next batch is coming. It is a little annoying i must say especially when those of us not from the States are paying a premium for it compared to what it can be bought for there now (actually, even at its original retail price it is considerably more expensive to buy here but then i guess thats imports for ya). In fact we could be considered a little crazy for paying that price for what it is but hey, i wanted to try one as it looks like it has a great beam, good tint, sturdy and interesting construction, excellent run time on medium/low and the novelty of getting 300 lumens (well, a bit lower) for a brief while out of a single AAA. So although i may be a little crazy for buying one at EU/UK prices i will reserve judgement about whether i personally feel it was worth it or not until i get to play with it.

Edit: Having checked again it seems that they are also now scarce (again?) in the States. At least now we can all be internationally unified in our frustration of not having our new toy for Christmas :laughing:

Last edited:

Still Of The Night

Newly Enlightened
In regards to lumens Vs run times i would have to say that the high mode is for me, somewhat of a novelty and although i think it's fun to have and play with it could be debated how useful and practical it is given its duration but I'm very happy it is there. I guess i can only mirror the sentiments of others and say it does help to be an informed buyer to weigh up whether something is right for your wants/needs at the price point of the product (this is where forums such as this and the reviews, graphs etc. come in so handy and are highly appreciated). This can also be quite a personal thing as what one person feels is justifiable might not correlate to another´s. For me i feel comfortable to try out/experiment/test/play around with the Plus at its price point (even given how a little crazy that is in the UK) with prior knowledge of its flash turbo/high mode, others won't be and that´s fine. Once i do spend some time with it i may reach the conclusion that it's not for me but ultimately I'm personally willing to take the risk to see.

Looking at the run time graph for the Plus it looks like it actually has excellent duration for its medium mode, which as pointed out by jon slider in post #576 averages out at about 71 lumens. If you compare this with some other single AAA lights that produce that approx. Lm it more than doubles their run time. In fact I'm not aware of another single AAA light that can produce approx. 71Lm for a little over 2 hours 15 minutes on a NIMH/Eneloop.
A marvellous graph by CPF member UPz comparing lumens Vs run time on a number of single AAA lights with an Eneloop can be found in this thread here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...LUMINTOP-TOOL-AAA-Cooper-(Nichia-219B-1x-AAA)

In relation to the ANSI FL-1 run time standard i feel it might not be the epitome of usefulness and like an awful lot of things can be manipulated for marketing purposes but i also think part of the process of being an educated consumer is always looking for the "catch" or at least sifting through the marketing hype or face value statements/specs. On saying this i do see where people are coming from in regards to the average person who might just see it in a shop and not have greater knowledge or access to a forum like this to get the full picture. However as i mentioned earlier this is somewhat a personal thing as for me at the Plus 'price point i would want to be doing some research on its specs before i bought it. I do highly agree as others have mentioned it would be an excellent idea to also include a little run time graph to get a better overall idea but as also pointed out i am grateful that there is at least some standard rather than none in place.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Yup these seem to be rarer than Unicorns in the UK at the moment. I understood it a little more when there were back orders in the States but they seem readily available there now. I ended up ordering from a European authorized dealer when they said they had stock coming but i guess they had so many back orders that my order wasn't fulfilled even though i ordered before their stock arrived. Unfortunately it seems from their site they don´t even know when the next batch is coming. It is a little annoying i must say especially when those of us not from the States are paying a premium for it compared to what it can be bought for there now (actually, even at its original retail price it is considerably more expensive to buy here but then i guess thats imports for ya). In fact we could be considered a little crazy for paying that price for what it is but hey, i wanted to try one as it looks like it has a great beam, good tint, sturdy and interesting construction, excellent run time on medium/low and the novelty of getting 300 lumens (well, a bit lower) for a brief while out of a single AAA. So although i may be a little crazy for buying one at EU/UK prices i will reserve judgement about whether i personally feel it was worth it or not until i get to play with it.

Edit: Having checked again it seems that they are also now scarce (again?) in the States. At least now we can all be internationally unified in our frustration of not having our new toy for Christmas :laughing:

:thanks: from Spain for reading and writing my thoughts, you are not alone...;)

Still Of The Night

Newly Enlightened
:thanks: from Spain for reading and writing my thoughts, you are not alone...
wink.gif

No problem :laughing:

Maybe we can find some small solace in knowing as well as us all wanting world peace this Christmas we also want world distribution of the Titan Plus :p

warpdrive

Enlightened
just a question, I haven't had time to comb through this thread. Are there any production problems that are solved in later batches?

I'm driving down to the USA (mainly as a shopping trip) and picking up my Plus which is waiting for me from amazon. If I find any problems I can ship it back to Amazon right away.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
After several weeks of alternate use of both lights I notice that I tend to EDC the Titan-A quite more often than the Plus which for me is really a bit too heavy.

I have been carrying for many years now a 1 x AAA light hanging from my neck on a string under the shirt. I have probably 30 different lights. This Plus is the heaviest of the lot and as I said I find it somewhat annoying.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
After several weeks of alternate use of both lights I notice that I tend to EDC the Titan-A quite more often than the Plus which for me is really a bit too heavy.

I have been carrying for many years now a 1 x AAA light hanging from my neck on a string under the shirt. I have probably 30 different lights. This Plus is the heaviest of the lot and as I said I find it somewhat annoying.

Yup. Same here. I'm currently carrying the Titan Pink and 2 Titan Plus are sitting in my drawer. I find the brick like weight annoying and the mid level too dim.

The high on the Titan A is perfect for an AAA light. The high on the Titan Plus isn't useful to me because it only lasts a few seconds and declines rapidly. I'm finding all this out as I flip between the 2.