Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

• Ouch! No!

Votes: 95 56.5%
  • YES!

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the only advantage I can see for titanium is extreme durability, which is important when one is shooting their lights at 10 paces with a shotgun. While the thick HAIII anodized aluminum held up, I'm not sure it would at say 5 paces. I don't think this is probably a normal practice though. Yes, I personally would love a titanium Rotary, just for the extra bullet-proofness... literally. I happen to know from experience that a 9mm 124 grain bullet traveling at 1500 fps will go right through that cheap aluminum (shoddy choice of material if you ask me). I mean why aerospace aluminum? It isn't designed to fly. Even with fins attached mine didn't fly longer than the Wrights brothers 12 seconds, though it did go much further. Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty so it wouldn't have that soft vulnerable underbelly of rubber for a switch... the Achilles heal of the light when shooting it. If more people just started shooting their HDS lights, then maybe would get some in titanium sooner.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
About the only advantage I can see for titanium is extreme durability, which is important when one is shooting their lights at 10 paces with a shotgun. While the thick HAIII anodized aluminum held up, I'm not sure it would at say 5 paces. I don't think this is probably a normal practice though. Yes, I personally would love a titanium Rotary, just for the extra bullet-proofness... literally. I happen to know from experience that a 9mm 124 grain bullet traveling at 1500 fps will go right through that cheap aluminum (shoddy choice of material if you ask me). I mean why aerospace aluminum? It isn't designed to fly. Even with fins attached mine didn't fly longer than the Wrights brothers 12 seconds, though it did go much further. Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty so it wouldn't have that soft vulnerable underbelly of rubber for a switch... the Achilles heal of the light when shooting it. If more people just started shooting their HDS lights, then maybe would get some in titanium sooner.

👍

djj

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty

I'm sure you weren't hinting that there might ever be titanium twisties again (right?!?), but yes oh my that would be even better than a titanium rotary.

Who has those 2 or 3 titanium twisties that were made? I feel lucky just to have a regular old aluminium one.

d13avo

Enlightened
I'm sure you weren't hinting that there might ever be titanium twisties again (right?!?), but yes oh my that would be even better than a titanium rotary.

Who has those 2 or 3 titanium twisties that were made? I feel lucky just to have a regular old aluminium one.

If you don't mind me asking what's the difference between a twisty and a rotary. Two or Three now that is rare, I have only ever seen the Titanium clicky come up for sale.

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't consider the Twisty as more robust than the Clicky or Rotary. Those U-wires inside could bend (and did) causing loss of modes. That said, they were awesome and I loved the two I had!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

If you don't mind me asking what's the difference between a twisty and a rotary. Two or Three now that is rare, I have only ever seen the Titanium clicky come up for sale.
Actually there were 7 Twisty's in titanium. Three levels only and a lot more hassle to program than the Clicky.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't consider the Twisty as more robust than the Clicky or Rotary. Those U-wires inside could bend (and did) causing loss of modes. That said, they were awesome and I loved the two I had!
Forgot about the wires breaking, but now that you mention it, I had to send one back to Henry for repair.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does HDS Systems have any Nichia 219b 4000K R9050 emitters gathering dust in the back of a drawer?

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm 🤔

6024619e204eb06d8cd84d583838fa81.png

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my reading, there was a 50 unit run of Rotary titanium lights made and from the LED selections 48 are reserved. When will the remaining few lights be offered for sale? Do not want to miss this opportunity.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my reading, there was a 50 unit run of Rotary titanium lights made and from the LED selections 48 are reserved. When will the remaining few lights be offered for sale? Do not want to miss this opportunity.

Once the titanium lights are actually shipped. Getting close now. Spoke with the machinist again yesterday.
I will announce it in the forum on the various FB pages both when we are shipping, and when the remainder will go up for sale.