TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Etsu

Enlightened
but you could try to let the light rest a few days/night in rice (something what I probably should've done with my first TK75 at first)

Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight. And you risk chaff getting in the threads or other surfaces of your light, and possibly damaging it.

Putting any electronics in rice is almost always a BAD idea. It is a myth that keeps getting spread around.

If you get your electronics wet, dry the surface off with a towel then open it up to let it air-dry for a few days. Adding rice will not help, and could actually make things worse.

kj2

Flashaholic
Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight. And you risk chaff getting in the threads or other surfaces of your light, and possibly damaging it.

Putting any electronics in rice is almost always a BAD idea. It is a myth that keeps getting spread around.

If you get your electronics wet, dry the surface off with a towel then open it up to let it air-dry for a few days. Adding rice will not help, and could actually make things worse.
Well, this is the first time I hear this. And many flashlights these days can't be opened because they are glued (specially the head).

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
Dried rice makes an excellent DIY desiccant. After my iPhone was washed in a washing machine it could not be charged and had visible moisture inside the display, even after several days. With nothing left to lose I tried the dried rice method found on the web. After 2 days in a sealed container of dried rice there was no more moisture in the screen, it could be charged and after charging it was fine. (!)

In the sealed container, the dried rice absorbed water vapour readily from the air and the drier air is what the water in the cell phone evaporated into, which in turn was absorbed by the rice thus maintaining low humidity in the container. Of course a desiccant won't work on something that is sealed from contact with the desiccated air so I don't know if it would work here.

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
Don't do this. Rice does not draw moisture out of the air. It only draws moisture from a surface it is in direct contact with. The only thing rice can possibly dry out is the outside of your flashlight.

Completely and utterly incorrect.

Etsu

Enlightened
Completely and utterly incorrect.

Shrug. It's up to you if you want to use witchcraft/myths on your electronics. Follow the science if you really want to know, but it seems you'd rather not. All's not bad, because the rice probably won't harm anything unless it gets inside your gear. It just won't do anything useful, like homeopathic medicine.

BTW, leave some rice out on a dry surface in a humid room. It doesn't expand, so it doesn't absorb any moisture from the air. IT DOESN'T WORK. It will only dry out wet surfaces, which are easier and more safely handled by wiping it off with a towel.

I'm sure I could tell you white isn't black, and you would still disagree. So, have fun wasting your rice. I'll eat the rice instead, which is all it's really good for.

Capolini

Banned
It seems like a battle has started!!! LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!

For me personally it doesn't make a difference if it[rice] works because the Flashlight manufacturer is the one who is going to resolve my problem, not me! they will continue to work with me even if it takes numerous torches until they get it right!

I do not know if this is true or not[actually irrelevant from what I just stated] but someone mentioned the rice would probably NOT work in my case because it appears that the moisture is SEALED in the head from when they manufactured it. Even if I could take the head apart, I am not!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have fogging in my Fenix TK35 that can't be resolved because the head is thread-locked with epoxy.
Thoroughly spoiled the TK35 for me.

The only other light that I have which has a similar problem is my Zebralight SC600 although I discovered that in this case the "fogging" was actually a permanent marking on the reflector which wouldn't come off even when taking it out and blowing pressurised air on it.

The fact that I can't open the heads of Fenix lights due to them being threadlocked is something that puts me off from buying any more.

Capolini

Banned
If one knows that 2+2=4, what's the point of debating that fact? I think we both know the answer, Roberto. :)

I do not know enough about rice and these lights to have an opinion! I have no experience with that!! I will say that I have heard many, many more say it works than ones who say it doesn't!

Did you know that I am a mediator? Not on here but in real life! I have helped settle a lot of disputes by being open minded, honest, realistic, fair and with a logical and compromising personality!

All I know is that I am going to try my best to have Fenix resolve it! If it becomes a waste of time and useless battle, then I surrender and hope the light continues to work!!:thumbsup:

It is wonderful to learn from each other and have some intellectual debates, even if it is over something that is petty in the "realm of Life"!

Have a great night everybody,I am still taking the TK-75 out tonight with my little Wolf/Husky! Maybe a miracle will happen and it won't condensate tonight!! By the way the condensation is a little bigger than a quarter sized piece that I think would continue to grow[saw some evidence of it] if I had my Battery ext. on it where Turbo lasts almost 3 hours!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Dark Slayer

Newly Enlightened
The only time I have noticed any fog on my 75 has been when running on turbo with a fan testing runtime. Even then there was very little. Two spots right above the leds (tail standing). The TM15 did the same thing. Had both out tonight and ran on turbo for 10-12 mins and both were clear. Going to keep an eye on it though. I had a 3 aa led Minimag do that also. Small but noticable spot dead center of the lens.

Last edited:

artis

Newly Enlightened
Same story with my ex RC40. First one fogged after few minutes on turbo.

Fenix said that all RC40 are with fog problem because of humidity at factory and that I should try rice. Not nice for $400 light. So I started arguing with dealer to get refund and that it's not ultra clear glass and not throwing 700m because of fog and almost went to disputes tribunal and still dealer refused to give refund, so I decided to swap it.

Dealer also said he could not see any fog?!

After receiving new light, same story, fogged in few minutes in turbo. Worst thing was now fog was bigger and coming from middle of all 4 LEDs.
Next day one LED started flickering and few hours later it did not turned on. Later opposite led was always on high even if you change modes, see mickey mouse photo ;)

Sent light back to dealer and now waiting week+ for refund :(

Personally I don't think it's condensation, it does look too wired and always forms the same shape. Could be some chemicals because of heat or who knows what.

Bad luck with high performance light from Fenix or Fenix quality is not good as few years ago?

BTW, still love my TK21,E01 and HL10 which does not step down and does not fog and has no bubbles in reflectors.

IMG_20130811_115854.jpg

Capolini

Banned
The only time I have noticed any fog on my 75 has been when running on turbo with a fan testing runtime. Even then there was very little. Two spots right above the leds (tail standing). The TM15 did the same thing. Had both out tonight and ran on turbo for 10-12 mins and both were clear. Going to keep an eye on it though. I had a 3 aa led Minimag do that also. Small but noticable spot dead center of the lens.

Thanks.

How old is your TK-75? Did you ever run it on turbo outside for extended periods?What dealer did you purchase it from? Your 3 AA MINIMAG, does that still work or did the problem progress and make it useless?

I run mine on turbo CONSTANTLY!! The very first time I used the new one[Saturday night] it began to show condensation after just 12 minutes of turbo. A little smaller than a quarter in an oval shape! Last night it did not start until 25 minutes of turbo. This light was tested[Fenix outfitters] on turbo[I think for 20 minutes ] and it did not do it.

As long as it does NOT affect the light as a whole, I will probably let it go.It is becoming a hassle sending these back. I choose to send them with $200.00 insurance, signature confirmation and 2 day priority,$17.55 each trip! However, it is frustrating and in NO WAY is my experience and isolated one. Basically 3 lights in a row have done this! They originally put a new head on my original light and it fogged up!

Lastly, Main headquarters is not going to do anything about it because they already told me that "This is NORMAL"!!! What BS! I guess my other 9 lights are abnormal!!

Thanks for your input!

Ciao,,,,Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Capolini

Banned
Same story with my ex RC40. First one fogged after few minutes on turbo.

Fenix said that all RC40 are with fog problem because of humidity at factory and that I should try rice. Not nice for $400 light. So I started arguing with dealer to get refund and that it's not ultra clear glass and not throwing 700m because of fog and almost went to disputes tribunal and still dealer refused to give refund, so I decided to swap it.

Dealer also said he could not see any fog?!

After receiving new light, same story, fogged in few minutes in turbo. Worst thing was now fog was bigger and coming from middle of all 4 LEDs.
Next day one LED started flickering and few hours later it did not turned on. Later opposite led was always on high even if you change modes, see mickey mouse photo ;)

Sent light back to dealer and now waiting week+ for refund :(

Personally I don't think it's condensation, it does look too wired and always forms the same shape. Could be some chemicals because of heat or who knows what.

Bad luck with high performance light from Fenix or Fenix quality is not good as few years ago?

BTW, still love my TK21,E01 and HL10 which does not step down and does not fog and has no bubbles in reflectors.

IMG_20130811_115854.jpg
Thanks!! Wow,,,,,,,,your problems with your light/dealer are worse than mine.

I am beginning to think that Fenix has some serious issues that they ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RESOLVING! I am not giving up on my TK-75 yet, but I may have to consider a powerful torch with more credibility.

Ciao,,,,Roberto,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Etsu

Enlightened
Basically 3 lights in a row have done this!

Perhaps it isn't water. I can't imagine that the manufacturing process is so bad that they get water into the head with such frequency. Maybe some other chemical that evaporates at the high temperatures you get when you leave it on turbo for awhile. Some kind of petroleum product used in the construction?

Doesn't sound good, whatever it is. Unfortunately, it looks like it's common.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Not that it matters, since they are the same light, but is this the older TK75 or the newer version? I am waiting on one to be delivered and a little worried I may have the same problem.

donn_

Flashaholic
Perhaps it isn't water. I can't imagine that the manufacturing process is so bad that they get water into the head with such frequency. Maybe some other chemical that evaporates at the high temperatures you get when you leave it on turbo for awhile. Some kind of petroleum product used in the construction?

I was thinking along the same lines, and the first thing which comes to mind is the coating on the lens.

Just for grins, remove and reverse the lens, and see what happens.

Capolini

Banned
I was thinking along the same lines, and the first thing which comes to mind is the coating on the lens.

I think the head is sealed with epoxy. I am not qualified to do it anyway! Also, the condensation/fog is NOT always in the same place. It condenses in different areas on the lens.Usually the same size and shape. In that case, the entire lens would have to be defective.

Also, I agree with the theory that if the lens was heating up due to a chemical reaction, the condensation like area would be permanently scarred/charred and would still be there after it cools.This[condensation] happened dozens and dozens of times with my original light before I returned it. 20 minutes or so after the light was off, the condensation was gone, with the lens looking and returning to normal.

I can actually see what looks like miniscule water droplets.

Thanks for your input.

Ciao,,,Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened

You think it might be fogging the anti-reflection coating they put on the lens? If that's the case, I think it would remain fogged after it cooled down, no? If it's hot enough to damage the coatings, they should remain damaged after things cool down.

If it's something inside the head that is boiling off at high temperatures, then see if the lens can be removed while it's still hot to let the gasses escape. You'd have to remove the lens (or some other replacement glass) while the light is still on.

Chances are you'd just wreck your light trying this, so maybe the best thing is to just accept the problem and live with it. If it only fogs after 12-25 minutes, that doesn't seem too bad an issue. My concern would be that it was damaging something, but your light still seems to work so I suppose that's not the case.