TK-75, "Condensation/Fog under lens,again"

Capolini

Banned
You think it might be fogging the anti-reflection coating they put on the lens? If that's the case, I think it would remain fogged after it cooled down, no? If it's hot enough to damage the coatings, they should remain damaged after things cool down.

If it's something inside the head that is boiling off at high temperatures, then see if the lens can be removed while it's still hot to let the gasses escape. You'd have to remove the lens (or some other replacement glass) while the light is still on.

Chances are you'd just wreck your light trying this, so maybe the best thing is to just accept the problem and live with it. If it only fogs after 12-25 minutes, that doesn't seem too bad an issue. My concern would be that it was damaging something, but your light still seems to work so I suppose that's not the case.

"Our SERENITY is directly proportional to our level of ACCEPTANCE"! For now, unless the light deteriorates in functionality, this is where I need to be!!

Ciao,,,"Roberto",,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Dark Slayer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

How old is your TK-75? Did you ever run it on turbo outside for extended periods?What dealer did you purchase it from? Your 3 AA MINIMAG, does that still work or did the problem progress and make it useless?

Tk75 bought off ebay. It was sent from Mankato, Minnesota. Received it on 8/15/13. I have not noticed it fogging when outside using it, only when I did the testing with fan. Last night I ran it outside (63f outside) for at least 20 min. It was noticeably warm holding it but not "hot". I did check and no fogging.
The TM15 acts the same. Some slight but noticeable spots when running on turbo with a fan. I have not seen any spots when it actual use outside and have ran it till it's uncomfortable to hold. I may just have not noticed it but I will be checking for this now and will report more as I use these more.

The Minimags are gone. Gave them away. But do remember seeing a tiny spot a few times on those after running awhile. Never noticed any problems from it though. If I hadn't happened to see it in there I never would have known.

Capolini

Banned
Not that it matters, since they are the same light, but is this the older TK75 or the newer version? I am waiting on one to be delivered and a little worried I may have the same problem.

Not everyone uses "Turbo" constantly like me. So hopefully you won't have the same problem.

Please do me a favor when you get it. Put it on turbo for at least twenty minutes until it steps down[that is not always consistent either, sometimes it 30 minutes!]Either by walking outside like me or testing at home. Check it after that. If it is clear, put it on turbo for another 20 minutes and see what happens to the inside of the lens.

I run mine between 52 and 62 minutes on turbo when I use it.That is all I use until it steps down because of weakening batteries.

Thanks

Ciao,,,"Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Capolini

Banned
Thanks.

How old is your TK-75? Did you ever run it on turbo outside for extended periods?What dealer did you purchase it from? Your 3 AA MINIMAG, does that still work or did the problem progress and make it useless?

Tk75 bought off ebay. It was sent from Mankato, Minnesota. Received it on 8/15/13. I have not noticed it fogging when outside using it, only when I did the testing with fan. Last night I ran it outside (63f outside) for at least 20 min. It was noticeably warm holding it but not "hot". I did check and no fogging.
The TM15 acts the same. Some slight but noticeable spots when running on turbo with a fan. I have not seen any spots when it actual use outside and have ran it till it's uncomfortable to hold. I may just have not noticed it but I will be checking for this now and will report more as I use these more.

The Minimags are gone. Gave them away. But do remember seeing a tiny spot a few times on those after running awhile. Never noticed any problems from it though. If I hadn't happened to see it in there I never would have known.
Thanks!! I am going to TK-75 therapy!! It starts at 8 pm in Philadelphia!

I would be interested in seeing how yours reacts if you use it on Turbo "Constantly" like me! I use it between 52 and 62 minutes on turbo continuously. After the timed step down[20 or 30 minutes] ] I put it on turbo again. Last night, It did NOT show condensation until 25 minutes of continuous turbo. The first night is started at 12 minutes of turbo! I realize that I probably use turbo more than the average person. However, that is no excuse for the torch to act as it does!! I have a battery kit[extension] It will last 2 hours and 54 minutes of TURBO with that!! I tested it! what is going to happen in the winter when I take the Siberian out for extended play time!!! I guess I will find out!

Cioa,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

p.s. The serial number will tell you where it came from in the U.S.A. There are three[3] dealers/facilities. I also bought mine off of Ebay from Longhorn Tactical in Austin,TX. He got it from a Dealer in Broken Arrow, OK. known as Fenix Outfitters who advertise on here. they have been very helpful,the PROBLEM is in China!

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like one of the responses given by Fenix, with even moderate levels of humidity inside the lens it will fog up a little on high power as the inside of the lens is the coolest area inside the head.

This happens unfortunately on almost all of my med/large lens high powered lights with any airflow to the lens. I have tried multiple ways of stopping it on homemade lights such as leaving them on until very hot with the lens lifted a little to allow any moisture to escape, assembling in low humidity and applying anti-fog coating to the inside of the lens itself. I have had varying degrees of success with each of these methods, but on some lights have just decided to live with it. Triple emitter lights are some of the easiest to ignore it on as it doesn't seem to significantly affect the beam profile due to the positioning of multiple reflectors.

Capolini

Banned
It's like one of the responses given by Fenix, with even moderate levels of humidity inside the lens it will fog up a little on high power as the inside of the lens is the coolest area inside the head.

This happens unfortunately on almost all of my med/large lens high powered lights with any airflow to the lens. I have tried multiple ways of stopping it on homemade lights such as leaving them on until very hot with the lens lifted a little to allow any moisture to escape, assembling in low humidity and applying anti-fog coating to the inside of the lens itself. I have had varying degrees of success with each of these methods, but on some lights have just decided to live with it. Triple emitter lights are some of the easiest to ignore it on as it doesn't seem to significantly affect the beam profile due to the positioning of multiple reflectors.
Thanks

So my best bet was what I said several posts back?!!

Our serenity is directly proportionate to our ACCEPTANCE!!!"

Your point is well taken,,,,,,,others have offered it also.

Bottom line , as long as the light maintains its functionality, I will accept it as is and remove all doubt, fear and worries from my constantly thinking, resolving, analytical type brain!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

p.s. However, WHY DOESN'T MY BLACK SHADOW TERMINATOR DO IT? It has 4 emitters and puts out more short distance light[flood/spill] than the TK-75. I could also name numerous other high powered lights that don't have this issue!

Back to square one!! lol ,,,lol
:confused::shrug::crackup::banghead:

Young man,It is late in the U.K.!! Time for you to get some sleep!

Last edited:

artis

Newly Enlightened
Triple emitter lights are some of the easiest to ignore it on as it doesn't seem to significantly affect the beam profile due to the positioning of multiple reflectors.

When I did my first RC40 test outside I was walking with dog near the beach and noticed that houses and trees are not illuminated as bright as it was at the beginning (300-600m). That's when I lifted it up and found "condensation", tried to clean it up and failed because it was from inside.
So I believe it's quiet noticeable, it's like you put diffuser on your light.

I wanted to make beam shoots to compare fogged and clean RC40, but don't have pro camera or knowledge ho to do night shoots properly.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Black Shadow terminator doesn't do it as it has four seperate lenses, each of a much smaller diameter than the TK75's single lens. For some reason (maybe it doesn't allow for as much of a heat differential) smaller lenses do not fog anywhere near as easily as larger one.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I did my first RC40 test outside I was walking with dog near the beach and noticed that houses and trees are not illuminated as bright as it was at the beginning (300-600m). That's when I lifted it up and found "condensation", tried to clean it up and failed because it was from inside.
So I believe it's quiet noticeable, it's like you put diffuser on your light.

Ok, I see how if it is bad it could still have a noticable effect overall. With single emitter lights however it creates a very obvious dark ring around the hotspot, which is very annoying. At least with triple emitter lights it doesn't do that as the fog isn't centered on any one reflector cup.

Capolini

Banned
The Black Shadow terminator doesn't do it as it has four seperate lenses, each of a much smaller diameter than the TK75's single lens. For some reason (maybe it doesn't allow for as much of a heat differential) smaller lenses do not fog anywhere near as easily as larger one.
ok, I will buy that. However, OLight, Nitecore,Jetbeam, niwalker,zebralight, sunwayman, ect. To the best of my knowledge, their high powered lights do not have this issue, at least not to the extent of fenix It is NOT ONLY the TK-75! If you scroll up and see that fiasco the guy from New Zealand is having with the RC-40. Another with a tk-50 and TK-70 have also added to this thread.

Believe me, I am far from an expert, but when Fenix feeds me answers like, This is Normal, and the analysis that you stated from them,,,it is BS and I don't buy it when most other high powered lights do not have this issue!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di capo" KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

p.s. Read post # 3 and post # 10. #10 post[David] has a lot of experience, knowledge and wisdom.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
You think it might be fogging the anti-reflection coating they put on the lens? If that's the case, I think it would remain fogged after it cooled down, no? If it's hot enough to damage the coatings, they should remain damaged after things cool down.

I have no idea. I'm as far from a science person as a person can get. I can imagine, however, a temporary state change in the coating, which returns to normal after cooling.

If it's something inside the head that is boiling off at high temperatures, then see if the lens can be removed while it's still hot to let the gasses escape. You'd have to remove the lens (or some other replacement glass) while the light is still on.

I don't think you'd damage the light by running it without the glass, to see if you can get rid of whatever may be off-gassing.

Capolini

Banned
I have no idea. I'm as far from a science person as a person can get. I can imagine, however, a temporary state change in the coating, which returns to normal after cooling.

I don't think you'd damage the light by running it without the glass, to see if you can get rid of whatever may be off-gassing.

To the best of my knowledge you CAN'T take apart the head and remove the lens. It is permanently sealed with epoxy.

Ciao,,,Roberto "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Capolini

Banned
I need to take a break from this!! My girlfriend said that I am not obsessed with my torch, I am possessed by it!

She may have a point!:crazy::mecry::banghead::dedhorse:

Ciao,, Roberto "Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Neither the head or the lens can be taken apart on the TK75 or the RC40 either. The moisture or what ever chemical it might be, must come from the factory process. I don´t think that the rice method could do anything to solve this issue since it´s sealed inside the flashlight. When we are talking about flashlights with a 400$ pricetag like the RC40, i do think that one can demand that the light should perform flawless and there should be no condensation under the lens disturbing the beam performance.

Dark Slayer

Newly Enlightened
Freezer tests.

TK75 Running turbo 15 min, fogged in center nickel sized spot. Also a few spots on reflector. Goes away when the glass warms back up. Pretty much the same result when tested not running in freezer.
Some fogging above each led when tail standing and fan cooled. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TK70 (not running) centered spot on lens and some condensation on the reflector but quickly went away after warming up. The lens cleared up much faster than the reflector. After the lens cleared but before the reflector cleared the mighty thrower was noticeably diffused. Not real bad but you could tell. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TK41 (not running) oblong shaped spot but quickly went away after warming up. Clear as a bell when tail standing on turbo with fan cooling. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TM15 (not running) Same result but much smaller spot in center. Went away quickly after warming up some. Some slight fogging above each led when tail standing and fan cooled. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

EA4 Stays clear frozen, running, jumping, no spots formed.

EC25 Same as EA4.

TK75 in the fridge turned off. Same spot formed but went away in less than two mins.

When running turbo the glass never seems the get even warm on these things. I was kinda surprised but even when the heat sink area was quite warn the glass feels cool to the touch.

If there is some moisture trapped and it finds something cool enough it will condense on it. I kind of see whats going on when it gets heated up and the glass is relatively cool but not sure about when the whole thing is cooled down.

Anyway thats what I did all night.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Freezer tests.

TK75 Running turbo 15 min, fogged in center nickel sized spot. Also a few spots on reflector. Goes away when the glass warms back up. Pretty much the same result when tested not running in freezer.
Some fogging above each led when tail standing and fan cooled. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TK70 (not running) centered spot on lens and some condensation on the reflector but quickly went away after warming up. The lens cleared up much faster than the reflector. After the lens cleared but before the reflector cleared the mighty thrower was noticeably diffused. Not real bad but you could tell. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TK41 (not running) oblong shaped spot but quickly went away after warming up. Clear as a bell when tail standing on turbo with fan cooling. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

TM15 (not running) Same result but much smaller spot in center. Went away quickly after warming up some. Some slight fogging above each led when tail standing and fan cooled. Have never seen it fog during normal use. Even when ran until hot on turbo.

EA4 Stays clear frozen, running, jumping, no spots formed.

EC25 Same as EA4.

TK75 in the fridge turned off. Same spot formed but went away in less than two mins.

When running turbo the glass never seems the get even warm on these things. I was kinda surprised but even when the heat sink area was quite warn the glass feels cool to the touch.

If there is some moisture trapped and it finds something cool enough it will condense on it. I kind of see whats going on when it gets heated up and the glass is relatively cool but not sure about when the whole thing is cooled down.

Anyway thats what I did all night.

Thanks for your time, testing and info. Hope you got some sleep after all that!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Etsu

Enlightened
Believe me, I am far from an expert, but when Fenix feeds me answers like, This is Normal, and the analysis that you stated from them,,,it is BS and I don't buy it when most other high powered lights do not have this issue!

I don't blame you. On a $20 light, I'd accept that it's normal, because it's cheap and what do you expect for $20 anyway? But on a $200 light, their quality control should be much better. Whatever is inside the head (water or some other volatile), they should get it out before sealing it up. Besides, if it's moisture, it can't be good for the other components inside the head.

Capolini

Banned
Neither the head or the lens can be taken apart on the TK75 or the RC40 either. The moisture or what ever chemical it might be, must come from the factory process. I don´t think that the rice method could do anything to solve this issue since it´s sealed inside the flashlight. When we are talking about flashlights with a 400$ pricetag like the RC40, i do think that one can demand that the light should perform flawless and there should be no condensation under the lens disturbing the beam performance.

After listening to all you guys I have learned a lot. I believe for my torch, it WILL NOT go away because of what is stated above. It originated from the factory when the light was manufactured. The lens and head are UNREMOVEABLE, therefore, the problem will most likely never go away.It is SEALED in!

So, in order for me not to go insane[!], I have to hope that the condition stays "as is" and does not progress where the torch will be rendered useless.

Reality is, this is Three [3] lights[TK-75] in a row that did this. Why would I expect my luck or odds to change if I got another!
Nicole from China may be right when she says, "This is Normal"! It is "Normal" for Fenix and their TK-75 because they are apparently NOT interested in making it ABNORMAL[!] like many of their competitors high powered lights that don't condensate/fog or whatever you want to call it!

Am I :dedhorse: !! I may be!!

Thanks again everybody!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,, "Capo di Capo" "KEEP ON LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS".........WITHOUT CONDENSATION ON THE LENS!!!

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I don't blame you. On a $20 light, I'd accept that it's normal, because it's cheap and what do you expect for $20 anyway? But on a $200 light, their quality control should be much better. Whatever is inside the head (water or some other volatile), they should get it out before sealing it up. Besides, if it's moisture, it can't be good for the other components inside the head.

Agreed young man. I have the solution!

I am sending the "Mob" over to China!! With my Husky/Wolf, "Capo" leading the way with my 101 year old Great Uncle Settimio!! Settimio is almost as quick as Bruce Lee!!!

Ciao,,, Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Last edited:

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
I have the solution for you sir, but you might not want to hear it. Send it to Vinh to mod and have him keep the light on with the lens off after his modifications. Have him do a full battery drain or more and then enjoy your modified TK75vn that is better than the factory with no fogging of the lens. I tested mine for 40 minutes last night and it didn't fog at all. It's another $100 that you probably don't want to spend and for that I do understand. Should you have to? Heck no! However, if you want the problem to go away, I think you are going to just have to bite the bullet and have Vinh work on it. The other upside is that Vinh pots all of his electronics, upgrades the wire gauge on the driver, feeds it more power, puts in better springs, updates the switch, puts in the most up to date emitters with your choice of tint, either dedomed or dome intact, and puts them all on copper with a better path for the heat. That $17.50 what is that 3 times already? Your half way there to the $100 and you will have a better light in the end. JMHO