• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TM06vn - True Tiny Monster MUST HAVE!

Danielsan

Enlightened
I was using some Panasonic 18650BD cells in an unmolested TM06, testing the thermal step downs. I allowed the light to run close to 40 minutes, observing two step downs from turbo. When I pulled the batteries, two were in the range of 3.78 volts while two were 3.9 ish. I was going to test to see what pairing caused the difference, but didn't get back to testing.

I haven't see the voltage difference in my Vinh modified light. For the TM06vn, I'm using Panasonic 18650PF cells.

If you are thinking about getting the Vinh version, get the U3 emitter upgrade.

are you sure? Normally the tm06 drains the batteries equally during use. Only in Standby it drains two batteries more than the other pair.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you sure? Normally the tm06 drains the batteries equally during use. Only in Standby it drains two batteries more than the other pair.

I'm very sure. The batteries were freshly charged and checked for voltage just before beginning the test.

I offered a member that I would use my laser thermometer to check the exterior temperature of the TM06, what temperature the light stepped down at and how long it ran at various levels before the thermal step down. The light ran for close to 40 minutes on turbo, high and the next step.

I ran the same tests using the Vinh modified light and the voltage between the cells were within .05 volts in each pair. The Vinh light with more power also ran longer before thermal step down due to the additional heat sinks.

I measured the temperature of the light in four places on the circumference. The coolest location was just forward of the side switch. I checked locations 90 degrees apart and a inch back from the bezel. The head body was almost 10F hotter than the switch location. The switch must have enough mass to resist the temperature flux.

I don't like the power indicator light flashing when the light is turned off. You can push the side switch after the tail switch is turned off and the indicator light won't flash anymore. For me having quite a few lights I use a different light just about every night for my evening walks. A light may sit for a couple of weeks before its turn for the walk. Much easier to loosen the tail cap and not have any voltage drain.

I had a Nitecore TM15 get switched on in my coat pocket. I couldn't have been more than 90 minutes because I was making my biweekly trip deliver some parts and get my next drawing package. The light got hot enough to partially melt the holster. That cured me of relying on the switch to isolate power from a light.

Last edited:

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
I received a stock TM06 for Christmas and I remember when I opened the box for the first time I could not believe how small the light was wondering how the heck 4 - 18650s were going to fit in it. I was very happy with with the output and didn't want the extra heat that often comes with additional boost, but wanted more throw so I shipped it to Vinh and just had him dedome the stock emitters and I am very pleased with the results. I am running Samsung 25R's in it and find that they give me a 10 to 15% boost over any of my protected cells or at least that is what my very non-scientific phone app shows doing a ceiling bounce. Throw appears to have doubled at the very least and the tint is much, much nicer. I don't know what Vinh's price would be for a stock dedome only option, but for me it is the ideal setup and I love the form factor and UI of this light. I almost always grab it first over my LD60vn even though the LD60vn out throws it, but not by a huge amount. Quality of work and service from Vinh was excellent as usual.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a stock TM06 for Christmas and I remember when I opened the box for the first time I could not believe how small the light was wondering how the heck 4 - 18650s were going to fit in it. I was very happy with with the output and didn't want the extra heat that often comes with additional boost, but wanted more throw so I shipped it to Vinh and just had him dedome the stock emitters and I am very pleased with the results. I am running Samsung 25R's in it and find that they give me a 10 to 15% boost over any of my protected cells or at least that is what my very non-scientific phone app shows doing a ceiling bounce. Throw appears to have doubled at the very least and the tint is much, much nicer. I don't know what Vinh's price would be for a stock dedome only option, but for me it is the ideal setup and I love the form factor and UI of this light. I almost always grab it first over my LD60vn even though the LD60vn out throws it, but not by a huge amount. Quality of work and service from Vinh was excellent as usual.

That sounds like a nice option too. I'm glad that it worked well for you!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is the consensus for the best battery for this light? IMR cells?

Don't know about consensus, but my vote is for the NCR18650GA. 3500 mAh, and ten amp rating...just about the best of both worlds. Even a modded version is well within the capabilities of that cell. You can easily find them for under $10, too. IMR cells would work fine also, but you would take a pretty large capacity loss for the higher discharge rating, and the light is not driven hard enough for that trade-off to make any sense.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about consensus, but my vote is for the NCR18650GA. 3500 mAh, and ten amp rating...just about the best of both worlds. Even a modded version is well within the capabilities of that cell. You can easily find them for under $10, too. IMR cells would work fine also, but you would take a pretty large capacity loss for the higher discharge rating, and the light is not driven hard enough for that trade-off to make any sense.

I agree, the GA's are excellent cells. That's pretty much all I've been buying.

Danny70

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, can more be done for this light? VNX2? XHP70? Size of this light is ideal even compared to TN36 imo.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, can more be done for this light? VNX2? XHP70? Size of this light is ideal even compared to TN36 imo.

A new version of the DriverVNX2 is under development. If it prove a success then we can make this light a beast with XHP50! I tested one today but it only work in this configuration for a short time before the parts could not handle the high voltage. :)

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new version of the DriverVNX2 is under development. If it prove a success then we can make this light a beast with XHP50! I tested one today but it only work in this configuration for a short time before the parts could not handle the high voltage. :)

Adding a lower low by chance?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
In an email conversation with Vinh, he suggested this light based on what I was looking for. And I think this nails it.

But I'm going to hold off for a bit to see what Vinh is cooking up for this light, plus I have TN36UTvn on the way.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I like the size of this light, and if it had a vnx driver , it would be awesome!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm awaiting the arrival of a stock TM06. Can I still get this moded by u Vihn? What options do I have...ie XHP50s?

Thanks